Bloodstock News 2010

I don't think you should judge by the fee.

Kodiac was advertised at 4k had a good win to run ratio 36% and blacktype performers. Indesatchel 31% and one very smart runner in Galtymore lad for 3k. Honourable mentions also to Majestic Missile 3k and Aussie rules 6k

Assuming they attract the ladies, usually good fee = better mares.

As an aside, and I think it has been mentioned on here before, Big Bad Bob has been a big success on the cheap.

good fee = better mares (bad stallions over good mare make shite)

Yup BBB is interesting but as he was managed privately not sure what to make of him, how many of his progeny did we not see on the racecourse. Still you can't take the good ones away from him.

I'm hoping it's a little too early to judge the ICEMANs! None at the moment are forward physically, most are still growing on, and the people I've met who've got them have said they expect them to be showing what they can do when they're a good 3. There are plenty of very high-priced sires who'd prove that transferring your winning genes is far from certain - the first one Songsheet and I co-bred was by AGNES WORLD! And there are many medium-priced ones who are still knocking out good solid handicappers, the backbone of the business.

It's ACCLAMATIONs who are wanted - it's PROCLAMATIONs which aren't. Very confusing, these names!

Last edited:
Another good weekend for the young Darley stallions. Shamardal looks to have two genuine classic contenders in Dubai Prince and Casamento. Unfortunately i'd expect at least one not to appear until late next year in a conditions race... :)

Another good weekend for the young Darley stallions. Shamardal looks to have two genuine classic contenders in Dubai Prince and Casamento. Unfortunately i'd expect at least one not to appear until late next year in a conditions race... :)

I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them appears at all next season.

One of them might win the Sandown Trial and then bomb like Chabal .

It will surely be make or break for Godolphin in terms of the team if these top two year olds are bombing out in the spring/summer.

It will surely be make or break for Godolphin in terms of the team if these top two year olds are bombing out in the spring/summer.

I doubt it - if this was being run on any sort of commercial basis it would have been massively overhauled some years ago - the number of horses that go into reverse now is astonishing.

This is however an enormous vanity/ Dubai promotion project and Sheikh Mohammed would never admit it had gone wrong .

He's edging towards it though by reviving his old silks and having horses in training in other stables. The next step will be to leave some of them where they are rather than removing them all at the end of their juvenile days.

I think the Sheikh's realised that the job he was asking Suroor to do was basically impossible. Plus he's also obviously thought why not have some of the Irish prize money as well.

Everyone seems to be talking about these two as Derby prospects but i'd be surprised if either stayed the trip. French Derby perhaps but just can't see Casamento getting the 12f at Epsom.

He should not take horses to winter in Dubai who are not going to run out there. Not sure how many times he needs to see that it does not work wintering them in the sun.

Caught Dave Duggan on ATR's American racing slot saying that STORM CAT, albeit retired from bonking TB mares, is providing an AI service for Quarterhorse mares, and that his last advertised price (presumably for TBs) was (gasp!) $500,000. Bargain! I'm assuming the TB x Quarterhorse goes on to make a very high-class sport horse, for rodeo events like barrel racing? Thar's good money in them thar events, I believe, if not quite up to regular racing's hefty purses.

Gimcrack winner Approve has been retired to stand at Morristown Latten stud next year. This is the second two year old retired to stud this season with Zebedee going to Tally Ho stud.

Songy: I did say that (about AI for the Q'horse mares)! Which brings me to wonder how many other American stallions don't really retire? Boy, if your boy can go on providing the juice for AIs, albeit at a lower price, you've really got a terrific income until he dries up or conks out. Tx for the info, Powerscourt.

Any reason given why APPROVE is off to stud as a baby himself, c/l? I won't say anything, because we all went nutso about ZEBEDEE first time!

Godolphin took two of the best Irish 2 year olds last season, and have hardly run them/ruined them. whilst they may well have been had, this doesn't augur well for Casamento and Dubai Prince.

Back