Phoenix Reach 9
Proclamation 1
Rob Roy 13
Striking Ambition 5
Tendulkar 17
Zafeen 6

Nice pictures uncle goober!
Thanks for sharing them with us.

Lovely pictures, UG - thanks for putting those up (even if it is a bit of a lottery!!)

IWF is a real stunner and I love the sound of his temperament too. My one reservation is that in the current climate, the type of horse you'd be producing from the mares we're talking about is of course a pure Tb and I really do think the market wouldn't support them.

If you're talking about using him on cross bred mares - especially cobs like my Maggie, then possibly the market would be bigger and able to support them because they'd be versatile and good doers, with general appeal to the everyday horseman.

It's a difficult one alright!

for fun:

Araafa 20
Assertive 21
Bertolini 18
Black SAm 22
Byron 16
Cockney 10
Deportivo 14
Echo of 2
First Trump 11
I Was Framed 8
Lucarno 4
Milk It 19
Mount Nelson 12
Notnow 3
Osorio 15
Pastoral 7
Phoenix 9
Proclamation 1
Rob Roy 5
Striking 13
Tendulkar 17
Zafeen 6

haha :)

Thanks for the pics Goober, not so easy to puzzle out:

1 - Proclamation
2 - Echo of Light
3 - Notnowcato
4 - Lucarno
5 - Striking Ambition
6 - Zafeen
7 - Pastoral Pursuits
8 - I Was Framed
9 - Phoenix Reach
10 - Cockney Rebel
11 - First Trump
12 - Mount Nelson
13 - Rob Roy
14 - Deportivo
15 - Osorio
16 - Byron
17 - Tendulkar
18 - Bertolini
19 - Milk It Mick
20 - Araafa
21 - Assertive
22 - Black Sam Bellamy

I am looking for a stallion to cover one of my mares this year. There are a few in the list I am interested in apart from the obvious one. I believe there is a stallion parade at Tattersalls next week... I think it's Thursday so I may well be going along.

He is gorgeous with a capital G, I love coloureds if I had a mare he'd be on the list but at the price he stands he'll only really attract TBs, as theres some lovely coloured non TB stallions (for sporthorse/showing mares) that would be 1/4 of what he's advertised at.

For anyone interested in the horse, here are two pictures of him (one of either side)taken from the Malpas Stud website, where he stands :

small%20jan%20iwf.jpg

small%20iwf%20doncaster.jpg

Those markings are pretty stunning and even more impressive up close, as the animal himself, he's a real presence and loves to show off as well as having a great temperament. I'm sorely tempted to send one of mine to him, now, just to get a highly saleable stunning baby out of one of them!

Have to agree with you there, LE. I paid a massive £200 for a gorgeous heterozygous cob stallion last year for Mags. OK, I know it will probably be a bit of a mish-mash (now there's a good name for a coloured horse!) but both parents have excellent conformation and outstanding temperaments so I am just hoping any offspring will, too. There's more excitement here about that foal than all the Tbs put together :lol:

Incidentally, did anyone else note that STORM CAT is being offered via AI for use of quarter horse mares? An interesting move!!

I see also the usual guff is being spouted in the RP by everyone who has used a first season sire and has the 'first' foal on the ground by him...

"cracking sort" "Fine individual" "Strong bodied colt" yada yada yada..

They are hardly going to say "it's a fine-boned, back-at-the-knee, weedy yak" or "we thought the kindest thing to do was a humane bolt" are they..... !?!:p

well done, KK, and thanks to goober for putting it up. cannot believe we got Roy Roy wrong as we did visit him often in his racing yard, and on our photos the white on his head is so clearly visible and he seemd the darker horse. the light on photos can be very misleading, and nearly no white visible on your photo. funny.

as said, well done to KK

By Bloodstock World Staff5.04PM 16 MAR 2009
THE stud career of Kingsgate Native is in doubt after Cheveley Park Stud revealed on Monday that none of the first 20 mares covered by the dual Group 1-winning sprinter so far this season have been scanned in foal.
Kingsgate Native retired to Cheveley Park Stud as oneof the leading sprinters of his generation following wins in the Nunthorpe Stakes as a two-year-old and last season's Golden Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot.
The son of Mujadil commands a fee of £7,500.

In the current environment, I wonder would they be happy to take the infertility insurance and put him back on the racecourse?

Not good news - I would imagine Cheveley are pretty gutted especially after losing their other "2yo sire" Iceman to colic a few months ago.

So it looks as though this isn't the first Jaffa MUJADIL has sired... I am amazed that they didn't test mate K N before purchase to ensure he was fertile - I know this always used to be routine for insurance purposes but maybe they don't do this anymore or maybe they aren't insured.

Love MUJADIL but, having seen STORM BIRD at Ashford and how savage he was, would always want to be sure that temperament hadn't been inherited!!

By Bloodstock World Staff11.16AM 18 MAR 2009
SPECIOSA, who gave her trainer and joint-owner Pam Sly a fairytale win in the 1,000 Guineas three years ago, has given birth to her first foal at Northmore Stud in Exning, near Newmarket.
The new arrival, a bay colt by Oasis Dream who Sly describes as "perfect", was born at around midday on Monday – nearly three weeks overdue.
"He is very large and in fact it took three people to pull him out," Sly said, adding: "Speciosa has taken to motherhood really well – she loves her new foal!"
Speciosa is still joint-owned by Sly, her son Michael and London doctor Tom Davies. Sly said that it was likely the foal would be offered at auction later this year.
By Danehill Dancer and out of a half-sister to triple Group 1 winner Pride, Speciosa was purchased for just 30,000gns out of the 2005 Doncaster Breeze-Up Sales. Later that year she made all the running to record a 20/1 victory in the Rockfel Stakes.
Her brave front-running style also saw her land the Nell Gwyn Stakes on her debut at three, and the 1,000 Guineas on her next start. Though she failed to win again, she put up some gallant efforts in defeat, not least when fourth in the Oaks and when runner-up to Peeping Fawn in the Pretty Polly Stakes at four.
She is booked to be covered by Oasis Dream at Banstead Manor Stud again this year.

By Bloodstock World Staff3.47PM 25 MAR 2009
KINGSGATE NATIVE, who failed to get a single mare in foal during his time at stud, has joined Sir Michael Stoute in preparation for a return to racing this season.
The four-year-old son of Mujadil and dual Group 1 winner, previously trained by John Best, will join his new yard in Newmarket with the major sprint races at Royal Ascot the first objective.
"Although we are still waiting for results from the last 12 mares to be mated, the outlook looks bleak, which is extremely disappointing for all concerned," said Chris Richardson, managing director of Cheveley Park Stud.
"As a result, Mr and Mrs Thompson have decided to send Kingsgate Native back into training in Newmarket - where all their horses are currently trained - with their seniortrainer, Sir Michael Stoute."
Kingsgate Native, who retired to stud as the winner of the Golden Jubilee Stakes and Nunthorpe Stakes, stood this season for £7,500.

LONDON THOROUGHBRED SERVICES has announced that its 21-year-old Lanwades Stud-based stallion Selkirk has experienced a sudden loss of fertility this season and has been withdrawn from covering duties. From 19 mares scanned, only three have found to have been in foal. A further 24 mares have been covered and are awaiting scans.

"All the shareholders and mare owners have been informed," said James Wigan of London Thoroughbred Services which manages the stallion. "Selkirk has always previously had very good fertility and through the 2008 season 73 of the 75 mares who visited him conceived, with the conception rate per heat period being just over 80 per cent.

"He looks amazing - like a 15-year-old - and everything is normal with him, however from the tests that he have carried out we have found that there is a complete absence of semen in his samples. Such a sudden and complete decline from excellent semen to no sperm at all is obviously fairly unusual, so there must be some very slim hope of his fertility returning, but that is probably grasping at straws.

"It was decided that it was best from everybody's point of view to take a decision sooner rather than later, so that other arrangements could be made."

Further tests will be carried out onthe son of Sharpen Up at Lanwades, while Dr Dickson Varner, a leading equine fertility expert, is flying in from the US to examine him. Samples will continue to be taken from him through the rest of the season and mare owners will be advised if there is any change.
Selkirk did get kicked on his penis in February, meaning that he had to be withdrawn from covering duties for a time, but it is currently felt that incident is not related in any way to his loss of fertility.

Selkirk is the second Newmarket stallion this spring to have problems with fertility - the former Cheveley Park-based stallion Kingsgate Native failed to get a single mare in foal and has since returned to training.

Owch! Poor old Selkirk. :D

I love him and the way he stamps so many of his progeny with his own giant good looks. We've never used him, but would have done had we been able to afford him and had smaller mares. Ours are pretty big so with his size we would have got 3 mile chasers. (Not that I would mind, but not everybody would have been happy with that result).

Back