Bloodstock News

Has he really got 180 mares booked to him in his first season ? I find that pretty hard to believe - most first season stallions are limited to around 100 mares... If that figure is true, then I'm not surprised the horse is struggling - bloody daft.

Has he really got 180 mares booked to him in his first season ? I find that pretty hard to believe - most first season stallions are limited to around 100 mares... If that figure is true, then I'm not surprised the horse is struggling - bloody daft.

100? Plenty of the commercial first season sires would cover well over a 100 I would have thought assuming they can get the numbers?

Not suggesting it is a good thing though.

Of course plenty of horses could get large numbers, Gal but I was always told it was good practice to limit a first season horse numbers-wise, in order to ensure the horse wasn't over-used from the point of view of actually managing him physically - ie horse getting too wound up, over keen, losing weight as a result etc etc.

Libido can then suffer!

I feel that the number of mares a stallion covers ought to be public information because if mare owners are paying a fee they deserve to have some idea what numbers they will be competing with at sale, how many runners the stallion may have in the following season etc.

This information is usually kept a big secret and you can only guess at what gossip may or may not be true.

The other thing to think about as well is as Songsheet mentions, if the books are massive and the stallion is overtaxed, and you have booked him, what kind of condition will he be in by the time your mare gets to visit him?

Wow, that is early for a NH horse, plenty of flat owners would like to have one of those! I saw a 2 year old at Lambourn Open Day who was a May foal, late for a Flat horse.

I know you were Songsheet - which would put my filly's dam as being covered in February which isn't common for NH mares!

Can't remember but isn't your mare by KARINGA BAY ? It's now quite common for the really popular NH sires such as PRESENTING, BOB BACK, ALFLORA, KAYF TARA, to cover the maiden and/or barren mares early in the same way as Flat stallions in an attempt to space the work the stallion has to do. If they can get the majority of their maiden/barreners (and early foalers) done and dusted before the foaling mares come on line, it means the horse isn't working so hard. Covering 300 plus mares between April and July doesn't do the horse any good!!

That would make sense - yes she's a Karinga Bay, and there are quite a few around as youngsters. My other Karinga Bay filly wasn't foaled until April - yesterday, four years ago, in fact! The three year old is a first foal I'm sure, whereas the four year old is at least a second foal.

Last edited:
Back to New Approach, the rumour is not true. He has had some tests done because he has only one testicle and they wanted to make sure his amount of sperm was ok.
His libido is fine although it´s true he will cover 180 mares this season.

Nice to see Red Wood win today for High Chaparral. Imagine this is an important season for him.

Timely comment Gal, as High Heeled just goes in against the colts at Newbury. She was on display at the Hills yard at Lambourn Open Day and they were also telling everyone that they like High Chapparral a lot.

Will be very interesting to see what happens for him this year.

Timely comment Gal, as High Heeled just goes in against the colts at Newbury. She was on display at the Hills yard at Lambourn Open Day and they were also telling everyone that they like High Chapparral a lot.

Also had a listed winner in France last weekend.

Does my memory serve me right that they had quite a few by HC at Hills' yard? It was only a week ago but I seem to have lost the plot since then:blink:

Back