Bloodstock News

Do you have any of his or are you thinking of using him?

Unfortunately not although I'd love to - since I haven't won the lottery yet I'd probably have to buy something by him at some point as he's not getting any younger now :(

@imagine: you still have to travel to Ireland to see him ;)

I know! I really must arrange something this year. I don't know whether it's easier to fly to Dublin or Belfast then drive to the stud? Any ideas?

@Isinglass - yes I'm very grateful he's staying put!

Hope Miller sees this post.... :p

Courtesy of The Racing Post
Hawk Wing goes
to Korea

By Bloodstock World Staff9.55PM 11 JAN 2009
HAWK WING, a Group 1 winner at two, three, and four for owner Susan Magnier, has departed Coolmore to stand at the Korean Racing Association's Jeju Stud Farm.
The ten-year-old Woodman horse who headed the 2008 second season sires' list by progeny earnings will join Grade 1 winners Commendable, Pico Central, Vicar, Volponi and Yankee Victor on the farm's 2009 roster.
Bred in Kentucky by Hill ‘n' Dale Farm, Hawk Wing has sired five stakes winners in two crops of racing age. His son Stubbs Art finished third in both the 2008 English and Irish 2,000 Guineas.
Hawk Wing stood for €15,000 in 2008

Told you so .....

That's a bit of a shame; you knew the flat was back when he turned up in the John Porter and Huxley.

Was he injured in his last run in the Eclipse?

That's a bit of a shame; you knew the flat was back when he turned up in the John Porter and Huxley.

Was he injured in his last run in the Eclipse?

Don't think he was injured in the Eclipse but connections had been trying for some time to find him a place at stud and probably did not run him for that reason. He was getting older and younger horses were passing him by.

All the same he won over £1,030,279 in prize money .. not bad at all...

I was at the stallion parade at Doncaster today, some lovely animals on show. I was very taken with Lucarno and Black Sam Bellamy; the former named isn't the most popular though having kicked the woman leading him round the stables in the head and pissing off at a gallop around the stableyard! Unfortunately I didn't catch him so couldn't haggle for a free nomination....

Echo Of Light looked stunning, as did Byron - both of them have filled out very much and look proper stallions. I was surprised to see how much Proclamation has lightened in colour - he's dappled now and really quite light over his mid-section. He looks great, too. Another to catch the eye was Notnowcato.

I envy you, I wanted to go but had to work. Am interested in what Lucarno looks like now, he was a cracker when racing.

Would have loved to see Black Sam being naughty too - shame about you missing out on a free nomination though, would probably get a decent jumps horse I think. :)

That's interesting, Shadz - I am pleasantly surprised at how much my PROCLAMATION colt has improved - he didn't reach his reserve at Tatts and, to be honest, I wasn't at all surprised but these past two months he's grown and strengthened a lot. And bearing in mind his only comparison is SONGSHEET'S DIAMOND GREEN colt, who is a very substantial colt, he doesn't look small or weedy at all now!

NOTNOWCATO is an interesting prosepct - I felt he was a bit overpriced for his first season but he would be a useful addition pedigree wise if his stock can run.

Was KINGSGATE NATIVE there? I feel Cheveley have over-priced this horse and he's obviously struggling for mares, as thet were on my case for the first time ever trying to flog him to me! Love MUJADIL as a stallion and KN horse has an excellent race record but £7,500K in this climate - could be dodgy.

Araafa
Assertive
Bertolini
Black Sam Bellamy
Byron
Cockney Rebel
Deportivo
Echo Of Light
First Trump
I Was Framed
Lucarno
Milk It Mick
Mount Nelson
Notnowcato
Osorio
Pastoral Pursuits
Phoenix Reach
Proclamation
Rob Roy
Striking Ambition
Tendulkar
Zafeen

It was Lucarno who was misbehaving, Crucifix - I still want a nomination though, he looks great!

Black Sam surprised me really since he's not the sort of horse to appeal to me but I liked him a lot and I'd happily send one of my fillies to him! Trouble is they're still young and unraced, being there today made me want to send one to stud....!

Proclamation looked great, Songsheet - very relaxed but also with plenty of substance and character, as well as having lightened a lot in colour.

Notnowcato was lovely too - again, very relaxed, but looked great.

Kingsgate Native wasn't there; the list was Araafa; Assertive; Bertolini; Black Sam Bellamy; Byron; Cockney Rebel; Deportivo; Echo Of Light; First Trump; I Was Framed; Lucarno; Milk It Mick; Mount Nelson; Notnowcato; Osorio; Pastoral Pursuits; Phoenix Reach; Proclamation; Rob Roy; Striking Ambition; Tendulkar; Zafeen.

I probably should have mentioned I Was Framed initially also ~ a stunning horse with amazing markings and the loveliest temperament. He is officially overo in colour (pretty much pinto or paint I'm sure) and has the most stunning markings on his face and body. At £1500 he's probably well worth sending a moderate mare to in order to obtain a highly saleable sports/riding horse. I was speaking to the woman with him and joked that my [iron] grey filly would produce something pretty spectacular by him. She said that you shouldn't put greys to an overo since if they come up with two white genes between them it can lead to abortion of the foetus, something I had no idea about. She also said that the best results (in terms of colours) have come from black or chestnut mares put to him - plain bay mares often produce non-coloured foals, apparently.

I'd love to send REACH THE WIND to I WAS FRAMED - she's such a good looking mare and her foals are generally lookers too, a foal may well be pretty marketable as a sports horse. She's in such great nick for 21 and loves anyone's foals and is otherwise doing SFA, it's a thought!

Can't recall where he's based now - I think he went to Ireland for a season or two? My (new!) vet has done a fair bit of AI work in NZ and, even though the progeny wouldn't be eligible for racing, I think I'm right in saying they would be for the GSB, which would be the general aim.

...erm, as I put in my previous post - £1500, Truds!!!! ;)

I'm sure if you asked UG very, very nicely he might be able to find a picture of Black Sam...

Oooh - if the keep isn't too much, that could be useful - we're taking three bulls for sale up to Chelford (Cheshire) next month - might be room on the artic for RTW as well :lol::lol: !

Sorry, reading the final part of your post again SS, I Was Framed is also available as frozen sperm for non-TBs (or non-racing, which I'm guessing is the more specific). A good mate of mine got some frozen sperm to impregnate her TB mare via AI (clearly meant for non-racing purposes) from a spotted sportshorse who was a competing graded showjumper and due to his pedigree is guaranteed to throw spotted stock; double spot or something I think they called it since he has the genealogy to guarantee he throws spotted progeny.

Back