Bloodstock News

I so wish we had something like the Kentucky horse park in this country

It would help some of these popular horses

Why not write to the BHA and suggest it takes the initiative and kicks this off, Aldaniti? I agree with you, it would be rather good, and I think it also manages to keep itself funded, or at least part-funded, by visitors' ticket sales.

Yes, and it gets left large legacies by mad cat loving old ladies. (Oops, headed that way soon myself I think .... )

There is also Old Friends, which is truly excellent. :) Cannot say enough good things about them. They've got Creator, (who was trained by Andre Fabre) - remember him?

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/

The National Stud kept saying they wanted to do something of the sort and had Amberleigh House and Sergeant Cecil there, but got no further. Of course Irish National Stud had Florida Pearl, Danoli and Vintage Crop. But all geldings so really not sure what happens to our old stallions.

DUAL-purpose sire Silver Patriarch has been retired from stud duties with immediate effect.
The decision was taken to retire the 15-year-old son of Saddlers' Hall after he experienced declining fertility.
Silver Patriarch, who won the 1997 St Leger and ran a close second to Benny The Dip in that year's Derby, spent the first eight years of his stud career at the National Stud in Newmarket.
He was transferred to Bill Bromley's Wood Farm Stud in Shropshire for the 2008 season, where he stood this year for £2,500.
He has since returned to the National Stud.
Brian O'Rourke, managing director of the National Stud, paid tribute to the stallion, saying: "Silver Patriarch has been a great servant to us since he joined the National Stud's roster back in 2000.
"On veterinary advice, we have taken the decision to retire him from stud duties. I would like to thank all the breeders who supported him through his career and Bill for managing him over the last two seasons."
Despite standing for £2,500 throughout his stud career, Silver Patriarch has proven to be an effective sire under both codes. The dual Listed winner Party Boss heads a limited number of representatives on the Flat while over jumps, he has been responsiblr by the Grade 2 Persian War Novices' Hurdle winner Rimsky and Grade 3 Mount Ruby Handicap Chase winner Third Level Tom.

C/o Owner & Breeder mag (June issue):

STRAVINSKY, dual Group 1 winning son of NUREYEV, 13, to shuttle from Shizunai Stallion Station in Japan to Cambridge Stud in NZ. His fee will be NZ$35,000.

GONE WEST - sire of ZAFONIC and DA HOSS, based at Kentucky's Mill Ridge Farm, to be retired at the end of the 2009 breeding season due to declining fertility. He is 25.

LIBRETTIST - Haras du Logis stallion to shuttle to Westbury Stud in Karaka, NZ, for forthcoming southern hemisphere season.

ELUSIVE QUALITY - son of GONE WEST, sire of SMARTY JONES and RAVEN'S PASS, will shuttle to Stud TNT in Brazil from his current base at Darley's Juddmonte Farm in Kentucky.

DOCTOR DINO - 7 y.o. son of MUHTATHIR, a top level winner in Hong Kong and America, to begin stud duties at Haras du Mesnil in France next year.

HENRYTHENAVIGATOR - Coolmore stallion will stand at Hunter Valley in NSW for southern hemisphere season, along with DUKE OF MARMALADE and 16 others.

I had heard that Coolmore were a little disappointed with the number of mares Duke Of Marmalade got and in fact they were doing the hard sell calling owners who had sent mares to other stallions of theirs to try to get them to use him. I love him, would have been no trouble for me! But then again, when they are disappointed could only mean low hundred.

I guess they want to give him the best possible chance in both hemispheres, but I always think in a yong stallion this can tire them out.

A bit surprised about Henry too, would have thought they'd like to bring him back to European breeders too.

By Bloodstock World Staff7.47AM 6 JUN 2009
DARLEY has purchased the leading US second-season sire Medaglia D'Oro to stand at its Jonabell Farm near Lexington, Kentucky.
A son of El Prado, Medaglia d'Oro is the sire of this year's star filly, the three-year-old Rachel Alexandra, winner of the Kentucky Oaks (G1) and Preakness Stakes (G1). He is sire of seven stakes winners in total.

"Sheikh Mohammed has been following Medaglia d'Oro's stud career with great interestand has been most impressed not only by the likes of Rachel Alexandra and many other exciting prospects in his first crop which are now three-year-olds, but also by the quality of yearlings that we have seen at public auction," said John Ferguson, Sheikh Mohammed's bloodstock advisor.
"We purchased the sale-topping Medaglia d'Oro half-brother to Midas Eyes for $1.6 million at Calder this year. He has been renamed Al Zir and he is going well. Sheikh Mohammed believes that Medaglia d'Oro has a very exciting future ahead of him."
Richard and Audrey Haisfield bought Medaglia d'Oro at the end of his racing career, and he stood his first year at Hill ‘n' Dale Farm in Lexington.
He moved in 2006 to Stonewall Farm and by 2009 his fee had increased to $60,000.
A 20 per cent share in the horse was bought by Barry Weisbord and Richard Santulli last year and it was confirmed by Darley that they have maintained their interest.
Medaglia d'Oro, who is due to cover in excess of 150 mares this season, won eight of 17 starts and earnings of $5,754,720. He won seven graded races including the Travers Stakes, the Whitney Handicap, and the Donn Handicap. He also finished second seven times, including in the Belmont Stakes, twice in the Breeders' Cup Classic, and in the Emirates Airline Dubai World Cup.
Besides Rachel Alexandra, Medaglia d'Oro's graded winners include 2008 Arlington-Washington Lassie Stakes winner C. S. Silk and Black-Eyed Susan Stakes winner Payton d'Oro.

DUAL-purpose sire Silver Patriarch has been retired from stud duties with immediate effect.
The decision was taken to retire the 15-year-old son of Saddlers' Hall after he experienced declining fertility.
Silver Patriarch, who won the 1997 St Leger and ran a close second to Benny The Dip in that year's Derby, spent the first eight years of his stud career at the National Stud in Newmarket.
He was transferred to Bill Bromley's Wood Farm Stud in Shropshire for the 2008 season, where he stood this year for £2,500.
He has since returned to the National Stud.
Brian O'Rourke, managing director of the National Stud, paid tribute to the stallion, saying: "Silver Patriarch has been a great servant to us since he joined the National Stud's roster back in 2000.
"On veterinary advice, we have taken the decision to retire him from stud duties. I would like to thank all the breeders who supported him through his career and Bill for managing him over the last two seasons."
Despite standing for £2,500 throughout his stud career, Silver Patriarch has proven to be an effective sire under both codes. The dual Listed winner Party Boss heads a limited number of representatives on the Flat while over jumps, he has been responsiblr by the Grade 2 Persian War Novices' Hurdle winner Rimsky and Grade 3 Mount Ruby Handicap Chase winner Third Level Tom.

Any idea of where he will go/ what they will do with him?

Powerscourt just had his first winner with Termagant at Leopardstown. Presume he has not had winners yet in America....I wonder how many he has in training in Europe this year.

Interesting read on the RP site tonight:

By Rachel Pagones11.50AM 11 JUN 2009
IT was certainly the weekend for Darley sires, with the Derby going to Cape Cross, the French Derby to Noverre, the German 1,000 Guineas to a filly by Tobougg, and a Grade 1 feature at Belmont Park landed by a daughter of Medaglia D'Oro.
Actually,only one of those stallions, Sea The Stars' sire Cape Cross, has been with Darley all along. Noverre was exiled to India, Tobougg no longer stands under the Darley banner at East Burrow Farm, and the red-hot Medaglia D'Oro was officially added to the roster only last weekend. It all goes to show how quickly stallions are shuffled on the frantic floors of the thoroughbred stock exchange.
It is also a reminder there are factors other than the sires. For instance, the stable of Jean-Claude Rouget, who saddled Noverre's son Le Havre to win the Prix du Jockey Club on Sunday, has been unstoppable this season.
Then there is Sea The Stars. The magnificent colt is at least as much a product of his dam as of his sire. I can’t say that a catalogue-style pedigree always makes compelling reading, but Urban Sea's is breathtaking.
The two real messages to take home from the weekend – from a breeding standpoint – are these, I believe: first, Darley has capitalised on Coolmore's deceleration of momentum, seizing not only the Derby with a Green Desert-line sire, but Medaglia D'Oro, from the Sadler’s Wells line no less.
Darley's line-up will now include the proven sires Cape Cross, Street Cry and Medaglia D'Oro. They also own significant chunks of Distorted Humor, Invincible Spirit and Pivotal. That gives them some potent weaponry on the stallion front.
The second message is this: Green Desert, ace sprinter, is forming a middle-distance battalion. The (you got it) Darley stallion was grandsire of both the Derby winner and the agonisingly close Oaks runner-up, Midday, by Oasis Dream.
Winner of the July Cup and sire of such blisteringly fast runners as Sheikh Albadou, Owington, Tamarisk, Invincible Spirit and Oasis Dream, Green Desert has got a second generation going for him that, if not an influence for stamina, is apparently not a hindrance to it either.
The same can be said for Pivotal, sire of the Oaks winner, Sariska. A top-notch sprinter himself, Pivotal has previously sired numerous Group 1 winners over 1m2f, including Chorist, Golden Apples, Halfway To Heaven and Megahertz.
There is an interesting twist to the weekend's Epsom Classics. The Derby was utterly dominated by horses almost guaranteed to get the trip, while the Oaks was less so; however, both were led home by horses whose sires' stamina indices were among the lowest in their respective fields (tables for both races at the bottom of the page).
Cape Cross's 8.5 SI (meaning his progeny have an average winning distance of 8.5 furlongs) is at least a furlong lower than any other sire in the line-up, and well below the 10.7 average for the field.
In the Oaks, where Sariska and Midday passed the post virtually together, the winner's SI was 7.7, while that of the runner-up was 7.1. They compare to an average for the field of 9.5.
What is going on here? I think we are seeing the true potential of Cape Cross, Oasis Dream and Pivotal. In our collective bloodstock mind we have pegged them all as milers at most, and so put a distance limitation on our expectations for their progeny. They have now given definitive proof that need not be the case. But why not?
Cape Cross and Pivotal's three-year-old crops are both their first bred on a significant leap in fee from modest beginnings – up to €50,000 for Cape Cross and up to £65,000 for Pivotal. But I am not sold on the theory this ratchets up the quality of a truly prepotent sire's stock.
Such a rare sire already upgrades his mares so much that the difference of a better book may well be marginal. In any case, Ouija Board, Cape Cross's Oaks winner, was bred on a fee of Ir£8,000, while Oasis Dream's first four crops, including this year's three-year-olds, were bred on the same £25,000 fee.
What I think we may see in future is that more expensive books bring a different type of mare – more of the Oaks or Arc mare. In Oasis Dream’s case, he has had a head start as he has been supported by his owner Juddmonte, which bred Midday from the family of Oaks winner Reams Of Verse; likewise Pivotal has had the support of Cheveley Park Stud.
Danehill is the gold standard of sprinters turning into top-class all-distance sires. His eight Derby runners include winner North Light and third-placed Dylan Thomas, and he has also had the likes of Westerner, while his miling son Rock Of Gibraltar has had such top-class 1m4f winners as Eagle Mountain and Mount Nelson, along with the classy stayer Yellowstone. He is proof that some sprinters can pack brilliance without banishing stamina from bloodlines.
Green Desert has had but a single Derby runner himself – Thourios, who finished tenth at 50-1 in 1992. His lone starter in the Oaks was Urban Sea's daughter Cherry Hinton, fifth two years ago. But just in time, the 26-year-old sire may leave a similar legacy.

Very interesting. Do Darley actually part-own Pivotal, or do they just have block breeding rights like Coolmore had with Storm Cat?

And a bit of a follow up...

By Rachel Pagones12.00PM 10 JUN 2009
DARLEY'S purchase of Medaglia D'Oro, the leading second-season sire in the US, seemed all the more timely as Gabby's Golden Gal, a daughter of Medaglia D'Oro last seen well beaten by the stallion's Preakness Stakes winner Rachel Alexandra, cruised to victory in the Grade 1 Acorn Stakes on Belmont Stakes day, less than 24 hours after the acquisition was announced.
Medaglia D'Oro is part of an aggressive strategy to build Darley's global stallion operation.

Begun in earnest around the time Bernardini, aDarley homebred, was retired to begin stud duties as the US champion three-year-old male, the strategy saw the addition of top three-year-old colts Any Given Saturday, Hard Spun and Street Sense to Darley USA, while Authorized, New Approach, Manduro and Teofilo joined the British and Irish teams, and Admire Moon was obtained for Darley Japan – all in 2007.

However, Darley did not head-hunt Medaglia d'Oro; an offer to sell the horse was made to Sheikh Mohammed's team, said John Ferguson, bloodstock adviser to the Dubai ruler.
Emphasising the commercial focus of the stallion operation, he said the purchase made "good financial sense" because stock in the sire, who stood for $40,000 this year, is on the upswing.
"The stallions operate on a commercial basis, and we felt that the deal offered to us made good, sound financial sense," he said. "We feel the horse has a future. And if you're in the stallion business, everybody strives to have the most successful stallion.
"What has impressed us is that not only have his progeny raced well, they are good-looking, sound horses at the sales."
Another attraction is the horse's tail-male line; as a grandson of Sadler's Wells via El Prado, there is a suggestion he could produce runners suitable to the European Classics. "He breeds a good, scopey horse who can get a distance, and as a grandson of Sadler's Wells, there's noreason to think he won't do it in Europe as well," Ferguson said.
Medaglia D'Oro's ten runners who have won or been placed in black-type company this year include only one colt, but Ferguson said Darley is not concerned the stallion will be labelled a "filly sire".
"The filly bias, as it were, is absolutely not a concern to us. When Sadler's Wells first went to stud, everyone was convinced he couldn't breed a filly of any quality, but by the time his career was finished, he was as strong in that department as any other."

Powerscourt just had his first winner with Termagant at Leopardstown. Presume he has not had winners yet in America....I wonder how many he has in training in Europe this year.

Yeah . :thumbsup:....Delighted..... No runners in America yet.. Table Mountain with AOB only one I know

TERMAGANT, making her debut, won well here. She went third approaching the straight and hit the front 1f out before keeping on well to the line. Although the winner was friendless in the market, trainer Kevin Prendergast said: "I´d have been disappointed if she didn´t shake them up. I think she is quite useful."

She's repaid around a third of her purchase price on debut, which has to be heartening for all concerned. POWERSCOURT standing at a very reasonable fee, too.

What do folk on here make of Dubawi? He doesn't seem to be having the best start. One of my all-time favourite horses. I watched the Guineas he came fourth in by the rail at the winning post. I was so sure of how good he was, my brain couldn't compute what my eyes were seeing when he hung violently and came fourth!

GRADE 1 winner Proud Accolade was put down on Tuesday after suffering from a severe neurological condition. The seven-year-old son of Yes It's True had covered the past season at Bridlewood Farm in Florida for $4,000.
"He began to show some mild signs of neurological problems in recent weeks, but his condition deteriorated rapidly early Tuesday morning to the point that we were left with no other alternative," said George Isaacs, general manager of Bridlewood Farm in a release.
"It's heartbreaking.A plan was in place for upcoming surgery to try to alleviate the problems."
Proud Accolade sired his first winner earlier this month when Mr Green won a sprint maiden at Calder. To date, the stallion has been represented by five runners from 62 first crop named two-year-olds.
"Proud Accolade was already getting off to a strong start. He had an impressive first-out winner at Calder, and I've been hearing so many positive things about his offspring," said Isaacs.
Proud Accolade was campaigned by Satish Sanan's Padua Stables, who stood him for two seasons at Padua Farm in Florida.
Trained by Todd Pletecher, Proud Accolade won Grade 1 Champagne Stakes as a two-year-old and the Grade 2 Hutcheson Stakes at three. He retired as the winner of four of ten starts and $476,630 in earnings.

Rahy retired
from stud duty

By Nancy Sexton10.27AM 2 JUL 2009
RAHY, sire of Fantastic Light, has been retired from stud duty by Three Chimneys Farm due to declining fertility. The 24-year-old son of Blushing Groom, who was a foundation stallion for Three Chimneys, will remain at the Kentucky-based stud.
Sold to Sheikh Mohammed for $2m as a yearling, Rahy spent the early part of his racing career with Sir Michael Stoute, for whom he won the Sirenia Stakes and ran second in the Middle Park Stakes.
Transferred as a four-year-old to Neil Drysdale in the US, Rahy went on to take three of his six starts including the Grade 2 Bel Air Handicap by ten lengths.
Rahy retired to Three Chimneys in 1990 at a fee of $15,000, which was to climb to a high of $100,000 as he emerged as a leading international sire. He stood this season for $50,000.
Among his 84 stakes winners to date are 14 Grade 1 scorers and 12 millionaires including multiple Group/Grade 1 winner Fantastic Light, US champions Serena's Song and Dreaming Of Anna, Sussex Stakes winner Noverre and Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere winner Rio De La Plata.
"Rahy is one of the most important stallions we've had," said Case Clay, president of Three Chimneys. "Not only was standing him a great opportunity for Three Chimneys, but it allowed us to begin a very enjoyable and successful partnership with the Maktoum family."
Rahy is also the broodmare sire of multiple Group 1 winner and leading sire Giant's Causeway as well as other Group/Grade 1 winners such as After Market, Megahertz, Sophisticat and Rutherienne.
Rahy's 19 sons at stud include the Indian-based Noverre, sire of this season's Prix du Jockey-Club hero Le Havre, and Grade 2 winner Lewis Michael, a new addition to the Three Chimneys roster this season.
Out of Canadian Horse of the Year and US champion Glorious Song, Rahy is a half-brother to Singspiel and Rakeen and from the immediate family of Devil's Bag.

Really lovely horse. I really hope he has a happy retirement. I tried to post a picture of him when I was working at TC, but it´s too big...:(

Last edited:
ANABAA euthenased - interesting story surrounding this one as he was a diagnosed wobbler, given to Freddie Head by Sheikh Mo, recovered well, Criquette Head worked her magic on him and he went on to be a top class sprinter. Up and coming broodmare sire, too.

ANABAA euthenased - interesting story surrounding this one as he was a diagnosed wobbler, given to Freddie Head by Sheikh Mo, recovered well, Criquette Head worked her magic on him and he went on to be a top class sprinter. Up and coming broodmare sire, too.

A fairly heft blow to french breeders ? Sire of Arazan, Goldikova etc, no spring chicken but his profile was improving.

Jade Hunter withdrawn from stud duties

By Bloodstock World Staff6.27PM 8 JUL 2009
JADE HUNTER, best known as the sireof outstanding racemare Azeri, has been retired from stud duties.
The 25-year-old son of Mr Prospector had been standing at Questroyal Stud in New York at a fee of $5,000 for the past three seasons.
A winner of theDonn Handicap and Gulfstream Park Handicap, he was initially retired to stand for Allen Paulson and the Allen Paulson Living Trust at Brookside Farm in Versailles, Kentucky, and was later transferred to Hill 'n' Dale Farms in Lexington, also inKentucky.
He had also shuttled to Woodlands Stud in Australia and Redoubt Park in New Zealand.
Jade Hunter is the sire of 509 winners, 46 of whom are stakes winners, from 709 runners.
Azeri, bred and owned by Paulson and trained by D. Wayne Lukas to win 11 Grade 1 races between 2002 and 2004, is easily the most stellar performer to feature among his progeny, but he also has two other Grade 1 winners, Yagli and Stuka, a champion sire in Chile, tohis name.
As a broodmare sire, Jade Hunter's most notable achievement is Arlington Million winner Kicken Kris.
The Allen Paulson Living Trust has donated Jade Hunter to Old Friends, a retirement home for thoroughbreds in Georgetown, Kentucky.

A bit more info on Anabaa

CRIQUETTE Head-Maarek has paid tribute to Anabaa, the dual Group 1 winner and leading French sire who died on Mondayfrom acute peritonisis after undergoing surgery for a bout of colic at the Haras du Quesnay in Normandy.
The trainer, who saddled the son of Danzig to win the 1996 July Cup with her brother Freddie Head up, sporting the colours of their father Alec Head, said: "He was a fantastic horse and gave success and pleasure to me as his trainer, Papa as his owner and Freddie as his jockey.
"He was a very good sprinter and had a lot of quality plus a lovely disposition. He was a fantastic racehorse, a very good stallion and also an excellent broodmare sire."
Registered as bred by Sheikh Maktoum Al Maktoum's Gainsborough Farm, Anabaa was produced by the Prix Robert Papin heroine Balbonella, whose other foals included the Poule d'Essai des Pouliches winner Always Loyal and Group 3 winner Key Of Luck, later sire of Alamshar.
However, he never carried the sheikh's colours on the racecourse, as he was diagnosed as a wobbler at two, and, despite his regal bloodlines, was given away for free to Quesnay owner Alec Head, who Timeform's Racehorses of 1996 noted, "hoped that the colt might recover sufficiently to be a teaser."
Head-Maarek recalled: "As a two-year-old he pinched his spine when galloping on wet grass at Chantilly. When the vets looked at him, they said he was a wobbler and that we should put him down, which made me very angry. I asked Papa to take him to the stud to increase his chance of recovery and, after that, Sheikh Maktoum kindly gave him to Papa."
Anabaa confounded the bleak prognosis for his career and lived up to his pedigree. At three he won two of his six starts, and put up an encouraging display in the Prix de la Foret, in which he finished sixth behind Poplar Bluff, beaten just over four lengths.
That glimmer of star potential was realised in his four-year-old season, when he was crowned Europe's champion sprinter after embarking on a winning spree in six consecutive sprint races, all the victories recorded with consummate ease.
The purple patch began with two victories in 6f Listed events at Evry in the spring of 1996, which he won by an aggregate nine lengths, before he took the step up to Group company in his stride, winning the Prix de Saint Georges and the Prix du Gros Chene, both over 5f, by six lengths and two lengths.
Those efforts ensured he was sent off a well-fancied 11-4 chance for that year's July Cup, making him second favourite behind Pivotal, the King's Stand winner and another horse who subsequently flourished as a stallion. However, neither Pivotal, nor the rest of the field, which included the likes of Lucayan Prince, Hever Golf Rose and Danehill Dancer, ever looked like pegging back Anabaa, who led from the outset and strode clear to a near two-length victory.
The next month Anabaa was sent off the 1-2 favourite in the Prix Maurice de Gheest over half a furlong further than the 6f July Cup trip. Once again, victory never looked in doubt, as he travelled sweetly and made smooth progress to lead one from home and beat his nearest challenger, Miesque's Son, by one and a half lengths.
Sent off in the Prix de l'Abbaye as the odds-on favourite, for the sixth time from as many starts in France that season, he was scrubbed along early, but nevertheless made relentless progress to lead within the final furlong. However, his stablemate, the three-year-old filly Kistena, came from nearly last to defeat him by a neck.
The Abbaye proved to be Anabaa's swansong, after it was found that both of Head's runners had suffered a chip to the left knee. He was retired to stand at Alec Head's Haras du Quesnay, where he began stud duties at a fee of 100,000 francs.
His first crop hit the ground running, with Amonita winning the Prix Marcel Boussac at two, and Anabaa Blue landing thePrix du Jockey-Club in the following year. A procession of high-class performers followed, including Rouvres, Loup Breton, Martillo, Passager, Ana Marie, and Arazan.
His best performer by Racing Post Ratings to date, last year's Breeders' Cup Mile heroine Goldikova, trained by Freddie Head, has ensured that Anabaa's connection with the Head family has continued.
A regular shuttler to Widden Stud in New South Wales in Australia until 2007, Anabaa has also enjoyed considerable southern-hemisphere success, having sired the likes of South Africa's Cape Guineas winner Le Drakkar, New Zealand's Railway Handicap winner Imananabaa and Australian Group 1 winners Teranaba, Virage De Fortune, Yell and Headturner. He spent the2007 northern-hemisphere breeding season at Castleton Lyons Stud in Kentucky, before returning to Quesnay last year.
He is also coming to the fore as a broodmare sire, with his daughters producing this year's Poule d'Essai des Poulains winner Silver Frost and Prix Saint-Alary third Ana Americana, and last year's triple Group 1-winner Lush Lashes.
Anabaa covered 85 mares for a fee of €30,000 at Quesnay this year, including the dams of Goldikova, Le Havre, Daltaya, and Full Of Gold and Fuisse.
Racing Post bloodstock columnist Tony Morris said: "On the racecourse Anabaa impressed for his sheer brilliance, as perhaps the fastest of all Danzig's many speedy sons, but there was always more than one dimension to him as a sire, with gifted milers and middle-distance horses among his progeny.
"His influence will endure, not least through his daughters, who have already given us the likes of Lush Lashes and Silver Frost."

Back