Bloodstock News

Back to New Approach, the rumour is not true. He has had some tests done because he has only one testicle and they wanted to make sure his amount of sperm was ok.
His libido is fine although it´s true he will cover 180 mares this season.

One of those will be Kalinka, dam of Soviet Song
I didn't know he was a rig - I wonder if it pained him at all racing
- sometimes the raised / trapped testicle can get very sqeezed

If New Approach is a rig, why wasn't he declared as such when he raced (a la Quito?). Did they only find out later? Should his racing record be altered to reflect it?

If New Approach is a rig, why wasn't he declared as such when he raced (a la Quito?). Did they only find out later? Should his racing record be altered to reflect it?

One of ours was a rig, too, Gareth, but he was declared as a colt during his early racing years. Well, we thought he only had one ball, but when it came to gelding him it turned out he had two, but one was lodged up inside him. Does that still count as a rig? Right mess it was gelding him and he never did recover from it...

That is a rig Simon - onw that has one or both testicles inside his body. They are still colts though - and it can be a big job to castrate them.

You'd be suprised how many "geldings" that find themselves up for sale are actually rigs - and unless you can see or feel one (or both) you wont know for certain without a blood test.

Thanks Trudi. I wonder what causes it, don't imagine the problem is the same in humans LOL...

Oh, yes it is! Never heard of 'undescended testicles', Simon? Can be jolly uncomfortable for young lads, too. The only (usual) difference is that someone hasn't messed-up the gelding process with them! Rigs can be the result of an inadequate gelding, or due to a testicle failing to descend, remaining in the abdomen or inguinal tract. Plenty of stuff on it if you Google "rig and racehorse".

A famous rig of recent times is Selkirk, who has sired a lot of winners in spite of only having one ball (inc Border Patrol today). The other was removed during his racing career and he ran very much better after that; it had been trapped somewhere up in the canal

Sea The Stars likely to end up in Darley or does the Irish National Stud have a chance given their connections with the dam and owners?

Would have thought so too. That said, I know very little about the Tsui family, and they never did sell Urban Sea did they?

Oh no! I used to know him very well when he was in training and his owner was alive. Lovely horse, and seemed to be doing well at stud. Crikey wonder what they will do with him now? :(

Back