Bloodstock News

Did Storm cat have any foals born this year?

I know he was retired last year but can't remember if that was before or after the covering season.

Storm Cat was retired in May 2008 and at that time he had 3 mares in foal. These 3 then, born this year, will be his last.

Two selling at Tattersalls this year...

Colt STORM CAT (USA) ex STARRY DREAMER (USA)
Filly STORM CAT (USA) ex AIRWAVE (GB)

Storm Cat is still "covering" a few QH mares via AI, using semen collected from when he was fertile. The fee is, I believe, $20k live foal.

His son Hennessy produced several foals from QH mares by live cover a few years ago, one of them being the subsequent G1 winner Check Him Out.

EL PRADO, founder of a flourishing branch of the Sadler's Wells sire-line in the US, died of a heart attack on Monday morning at Adena Springs in Kentucky, according to a report on the website of the Daily Racing Form

El Prado, trained by Vincent O'Brien, has sired some good ones including Medaglia d'Oro,(Sire of RA) Artie Schiller, Kitten's Joy, Borrego and Spanish Moon.

Kitten's Joy is currently the leading first season sire in the USA.

elprado.jpg

Don't Ballydoyle own Airwave? Why would they put her foal up for sale?

Even Magnier has to sell some of them, Hamm - Coolmore isn't big enough to keep them all and I expect even they have cash-flow requirements to meet - especially now SADLERS WELLS isn't a revenue getter and the market's dropping like a stone....

Don't Ballydoyle own Airwave? Why would they put her foal up for sale?

Perhaps they don't like the foal or any number of reasons like buying it back outright. It is like Emperor Claudius - out of Virginia Waters - up for sale but they bought it back.

Whilst it's probably not the case with the Airwave filly, wasn't it Miss Beatrix who was sent through the Goffs ring to qualify her for their Million sale and she ended up back in the colours of her breeder despite going through the ring for 180,000 euros.

Whilst it's probably not the case with the Airwave filly, wasn't it Miss Beatrix who was sent through the Goffs ring to qualify her for their Million sale and she ended up back in the colours of her breeder despite going through the ring for 180,000 euros.

doesnt this happen just about every day, albeit for obvious reasons not on such a high level?

In all yesterday's session produced three six figure lots - all of which comfortably surpassed last year's top price of €80,000 - while it was underpinned by a very healthy clearance rate along with a strong, active and variedinternational presence.
Although the average of €10,650 dropped by 34 percent and the median of €6,000 was down by just over half, the turnover of over €2.3m fell by just nine percent and the clearance rate shot up from 66 to 84 percent.

The clearance rate suggests people are no longer willing to hold out for a decent price with the option of keeping them on themselves - just wanting to off load these horses.

doesnt this happen just about every day, albeit for obvious reasons not on such a high level?
Yep it does - send the horse through Ascot Bloodstock for example, can pull it straight out the field and buy it back in for 3k and you're qualified for Auction Maiden races ;)

German Derby winner Adlerflug (by In The Wings from the "Allegretta dam line" (his second dam is a full sister to Allegretta)), whose life has been saved in Newmarket after he broke his leg in a training accident, will retire to Harzburg Stud, a very "weird" marriage to be honest, but surley a lovely stallion to have in north germany.

That is great news! I thought he had died. I love his breeding and he is a stunning looking horse too. Should do well at stud, let's hope he gets the publicity and the mares so he has a chance to carry on the lines.

The clearance rate suggests people are no longer willing to hold out for a decent price with the option of keeping them on themselves - just wanting to off load these horses.

A great time to buy if you have a bit of land and can afford to keep them. Horses that where going for 50/60k two years ago where going for 5,6,7k. Blacktype mares with winners on the ground. The stallion people will be hard pressed next year to get half what they're advertising their stallions for.

We'll see how Goffs etc go..........

Some friends of ours actually got given two horses, both decently bred and nothing wrong with them. Breeder just had to cut losses and did not want to take them back home. Wish I had the land and the funds to keep a few!

Cryptoclearance dies of a heart attack following colic surgery

Summer Squall has also died of old age & Haveaheavenlytime too (17 foals!!!)

Back