Bloodstock News

LIFFEY DANCER, who holds the record as the most expensive yearling filly sold at public auction, has been retired to the paddocks without ever having graced a racecourse, according to a report on the Daily Mail website.
8427-l-m-cumani.jpg
Luca Cumani: trained Liffey Dancer
PICTURE: Edward Whitaker
The three-year-old daughter of Sadler's Wells broke the auction record when purchased at Tattersalls by agent Charlie Gordon-Watson for 2.5 million guineas on behalf of Craig Bennett, a former finance director of mobile phone shop chain Phones4u, a fortnight after her sister Listen had won the Fillies' Mile.
The filly, who is also a sister to Sequoyah, a Group 1 winner and dam of Henrythenavigator, was put into training with Luca Cumani and had been expected to make her racing debut this year.
She will now become the jewel in the crown of the broodmare band at Bennett's Merry Fox Stud breeding venture.

CRACK stayer Septimus will be a new recruit to the Coolmore jumps stallion roster next year.
The six-year-old is by Sadler's Wells - responsible for three of the top five jumps sires by prize money in the 2008-9 season - and out of the Darshaan mare Caladira, from the family of Lord Gayle, source of leading jumps sires Strong Gale and Lord Americo.
Purchased by Demi O'Byrne for €220,000 at Goffs, he carried Derrick Smith's colours to victory in the Beresford Stakes at two, and was an eight-length winner of the Dante Stakes the following season.
After finishing second to stablemate Scorpion in the Coronation Cup at four, he was stepped up in distance and soon established himself among the cream of the stayers, with convincing victories in the Lonsdale Cup and Doncaster Cup.
Septimus reserved his most visually impressive performance until the age of five, when he demolished the opposition in the Irish St Leger, coasting home 13 lengths clear of his closest pursuer. With that first top-flight victory he became the eighth Group 1 winner produced on the famed Sadler's Wells/Darshaan cross.
He has not raced since returning sore after finishing down the field in last year's Melbourne Cup, and a crack at the Breeders' Cup Marathon was ruled out by his trainer Aidan O'Brien last month.
Septimus is set to join fellow sons of Sadler's Wells Brian Boru, Dr Massini, Milan and Oscar in Coolmore's jumps division

VIRTUAL, game winner of this season's Lockinge Stakes, has been retired and will stand at Cheveley Park Stud in Newmarket next season.

By Martin Stevens12.06PM 4 NOV 2009
JUDDMONTE has published the 2010 stud fees for its European stallion roster at Banstead Manor Stud in Newmarket.
Oasis Dream, who enjoyed a phenomenal run of form this year with his representatives including Prix duMoulin hero Aqlaam, Nassau Stakes winner Midday and Prix Morny scorer Arcano, has had his fee increased by 116 per cent from £30,000 to £65,000.
Dansili, whose headline acts this season have been top-class milers Zacinto and Delegator, will also stand at £65,000 - the same as in 2009.
The fees for Zamindar, best known as the sire of exceptional racemare Zarkava, and Three Valleys, who stood his second season this year, have also been left unchanged.
Rail Link, Beat Hollow and Observatory have all received fee reductions.
Last month's Canadian International winner Champs Elysees, a brother to Dansili, is a new recruit to the Banstead Manor Stud roster and will stand at £10,000.
Sub-fertile Cacique, another Group 1-winning brother to Champs Elysees who stood his first season at Banstead Manor Stud in 2007, has been removed from the Juddmonte roster but will be used privately.
Juddmonte general manager Philip Mitchell said: "In line with the current economic climate we recognise that this is not an easy time for breeders. We have therefore either held or reduced all our fees with the exception of Oasis Dream.
"With over 100 individual winners and 19 stakes winners including threeGroup 1 winners this year Oasis Dream has been described as 'the undoubted sire sensation of 2009'.
"We now believe he deserves his position as a pre-eminent stallion in Europe alongside champion sire Dansili."

I think that's a massive hike in OD's price. Are they trying to limit his numbers by increasing it that much I wonder without losing too much income?

I think there trying to make as much money as possible quickly maybe his yearlings arent exceptional and they no next year will be vital to what happens to him

I think he's had a brilliant start to his stud career, is getting sprint, mile and even middle distance Group winners, will have no trouble filling a book at that price and may be raised again this time next year. He and Dansili will be the bedrock of Juddmonte for a long time to come.

They can reduce Beat Hollow all day long, that'll suit me!! I just hope he's stil affordable in a few years time....

Art Con to Irish National stud. Is this fella in the same bracket as Winker.

Looks like they're cutting Good ol Celtic Swing. All things being equal I would have shown Rakti the door.

It sounds as if it's an everyday occurrence that leading trotters are kidnapped! Let's hope he's not harmed in any way.

Castlehyde is the NH stud.Termagant Grp 1 winner in his first crop and he goes to Nh ? Didn't see that in the 'field' today .

Anyone know where soldier of fortune is going

Last edited:
It was only a small section.There are flat stallions standing in castlehyde i'm pretty damn sure Antonius Pius and Choisir i haven't been there in years but i think there in it now

Back