BNP on Question Time

There are jobs out there, and there are too many people lounging around on the dole who aren't interested in those jobs as they think they are beneath them. Talk of 'immigrants stealing our jobs' is crap as they don't want those menial jobs in the first place, too many British people seem to be so precious nowadays that they cannot possibly consider getting their hands dirty.

I haven't actually said there are enough jobs to make unemployment rates zero, but the numbers of people on the dole could be slashed if they were made to take a job they might not fancy, even if it is only temporary. So far as I am concerned, everyone claiming dole should be made to do a minimum amount of community service every week also, even if that be spending a few hours talking to old people in hospitals or homes.

too many British people seem to be so precious nowadays that they cannot possibly consider getting their hands dirty.

thats what happens when you devalue qualifications by making them too easy..most leaving school now think they are Einstein..and we gave them the papers to prove it..good stuff isn't it?

Then you have those that aren't even bright enough to get the easy exam passes ..most are unemployable due to having families who have trained them for a life on benefits..no work ethic whatsoever due to role modelling of the worst kind

Why not introduce drugs tests to the City traders who dropped us in the shit in the first place?
Lots of them seem to think cocaine is the answer to all ills.

I think the government has a fair bit to answer for, given that during the good times (obviously a result of the fabulous chancellor of the day) they decided to piss money away on ineffective bureaucrats, the effect being to increase our national debt for generations without actually improving any public services.

He also managed to sell half of our gold when it was at a 20-year low, just before it trebled in value. That alone cost around the same amount he is now trying to take out of the education system. But that's ok because he made that back out of raiding the pension scheme's of those who didn't want to rely on Government handouts in old age. Except they will now have to.

Oh, sorry. Apparantly all of the above was a legacy of the Tory government they usurped 12 years ago.

Its absolute rubbish to say that anyone can get a job doing anything....

For a start the stats are clearly against that. There are more unemployed than vacancies...but a considerable margin

Furthermore, those made unemployed from high level jobs will not be considered for lesser roles because of the "overqualification" line. Many very talented people are NOT getting jobs within six months for ANYTHING

I know quite a few myself

Which pretty much proves my point, Colin. I'll not be out of a job, I'll always find one going. Even if I couldn't get a job in racing - there are always jobs in racing - I can always work behind a bar, or something similar that too many find beneath them. It needn't be permanent if an individual doesn't want it to be, after all.

It speaks volumes more than anything I could say to point out that people need to be 'tempted' off their benefits.

But you can see that people are not going to be keen on going out to work when it would mean a drop in income.

I'm not saying that the situation is right but given that situation would you be keen to sign off?

Why would you come of benefits to work for much less in an insecure environment?

Fair play to people on benefits, they may not be the nicest but they got a bit of common sense and backbone who don't let the working class run them down because the working class only run themselves into an early grave.

I wouldn't sign on in the first place, Colin.

What is so terribly sad is not only that so many people feel it is right to abuse the benefits system, but that there is a growing mindset amongst the younger generation that the world allows them a living and they should have everything presented to them on a plate and as such, why should they come off the 'security' of being on the dole? Unfortunately the idea that you should work to get yourself somewhere seems to be less and less prevalent as the years go on and some of the comments on this thread sadly illustrate that perfectly. I dread to think in what state the world will be in should this vein of thought continue to become more popular, as it seems to be doing.

A bit of old fashioned work didn't hurt anybody.

Why would you come of benefits to work for much less in an insecure environment?

Fair play to people on benefits, they may not be the nicest but they got a bit of common sense and backbone who don't let the working class run them down because the working class only run themselves into an early grave.

IS...how would you deduce it takes backbone to avoid working?

Shadow and IS both make a point about hard work and early graves.

I've always been a grafter and am generally capable of shifting twice the amount of work that other secretaries in my department are capable of.

Unfortunately this ability has been exploited to the point that yes, Shadow, hard work (or too much of it) can kill - I collapsed at work the other week and, after a stint on the Cardiology ward, have been on leave since.

I will be leaving my job at some point although am not inclined to do so at present because I am in the middle of a rather important fight and will not back down (until the most inconvenient time for them, just to prove my point).

I will probably sign on for a few months - not to claim money, but to protect my National Insurance payments while I set about making another life for myself.

The problem with taking "crap" jobs to tide oneself over is that once you get more than one of them on your c.v. no-one takes you seriously when you try to upgrade.

Hope they don't introduce drug testing for those who sign on as I take so many now that I rattle when I walk! :p

There is a 'benefits trap' which affects large numbers of people (mainly single parent families or families with 2 or more kids on which there is a low level of expected income for the jobs they are qualified for).

Simply put - these people cannot afford to come off benefits for the level of pay available in the jobs they are qualified for - whilst there are many who have no intention of coming off benefits and getting a job, there are also many who want to work but simply can't due to the financial situation they find themselves in.

A quick example - a friend of mine who is a single mother calculated that she would need to get a job which pays in the region of £21,000 p.a. in order to equal the level of 'income' she was getting from benefits. With the current state of the job market and the lower level of wages in Northern Ireland in particular, there are no jobs available for her. Any why would you take an action which will decrease the amount of money you have available to raise your child?

From memory, the situation is actually worse for two parent families in many instances due to the structure of the benefit system. The system needs to be changed to the point where it encourages people to work, not as illustrated above. Not offering an idea as to how this is done as I am no expert in that field - but the above is certainly a massive problem with it.

Hope you are okay Redhead.

A friend who is trying to kick start a dog walking/sitting business is constantly frustrated by the lack of help she receives from the Job centre/unemployment office. She is not entitled to re training courses as she has not been unemployed for long enough - 9 months. She is not entitled to help with the mortgage payments as she is not in arrears, but has to be 39 weeks in arrears before they would anyway. She declares what money she earns from the dog walking, but is not entitled to any help getting the business going as she has not been unemployed for a year. She has been desperately trying to get a part time job to supplement the money from the dogs she has ,but if she works under 16 hours, and as part time jobs as generally low paid, she receives no benefit as pound for pound it is deducted from her. If she works between 16 and 32 hours a week, she gets nothing. Over 32 hours, fine but that's hardly part time as she is trying to build her business. She is also trying to get off the ground a business which can do decorating/gardening/cleaning etc. She has applied for literally hundreds of jobs and received only 3 replies. The woman at the job centre told her she basically had no chance of getting a job because she is over 50. Despite this, she is still trying. She is willing if necessary to give up the dogs she has of a full time job came along which would pay enough for her to live and still take in cats - she has a cattery in her garden. What makes her most angry of all is on her fortnightly sign in day is to sit next to someone who receives housing benefit, child benefit, this benefit, that benefit etc and is under no pressure to look for a job at all, and yet she is one of the most hard working peoeple one could ever come across and is and has been receiving no help and little encouragement for trying to pay her own way, which she has done all her life.

Unfortunately this ability has been exploited to the point that yes, Shadow, hard work (or too much of it) can kill - I collapsed at work the other week and, after a stint on the Cardiology ward, have been on leave since.

I will be leaving my job at some point although am not inclined to do so at present because I am in the middle of a rather important fight and will not back down (until the most inconvenient time for them, just to prove my point).

Sorry to hear that Red :(

Sorry you have made yourself ill redhead. However my point was slightly different in that there is a world of difference between working yourself into an early grave and sitting on your arse watching Jeremy Kyle all day with the only exercise being the trip out to top up on fags and lottery scratchcards, all paid for with dole money! Seriously, although I realise that hard work can kill, it wasn't actually what I said, I said "a bit of old fashined work didn't kill anybody" said in the context of work versus sitting at home claiming the dole for the rest of your days.

Unfortunately Flagship Uberalles has hit the nail on the head - there is no incentive out there to go and get a job and I do realise the dilemmas faced by, in particular, single parents and working couples with children, especially when it comes to the cost of childcare.

Regarding the comment made by Redhead about shit jobs on CVs making you unemployable; that I can understand to a point but surely most employers would far rather take on someone who at least undertook to remain in some sort of employment rather than living on handouts for x amount of years?

I clearly have a completely different take on the dole to anybody else; so far as I am concerned there should not be a need for me to go on it as I will always find some sort of job to pay the bills, be that with horses, or in a pub behind the bar, or cleaning, or whatever. I have always regarded the dole as very much the last resort and one that as such, I don't believe I should need.

Mind you the most perceptive remark on this thread so far has come from cricketfan!!

Thanks for enquiries folks, should be okay but will be going my own way shortly. I always was happiest when working for myself and only accepted this job because my colleagues and some of their bosses talked me into it.

Problem is that due to speed and efficiency, I have been overworked for more than a year (I look after 4 doctors to everyone else's 2) plus the recently added stress of fighting off yet more work. The final straw was finding out that half the stress undergone this summer was because I had been duped into doing someone else's work and taking the flak for it, when she has had a promotion and proportionate rise in salary to not only do the work but take responsibility for it.

Re the point about it not being worth working if you cannot match the level of income received through benefits. I myself have been in the unfortunate position of working and earning less than someone on the dole. Because I was working there was no help with anything, bills, rent or otherwise, despite the fact that my salary was insufficient to pay the rent, bills and food, clothing etc. By the time that my overheads had been paid, I had the grand total of £15 to feed, clothe and keep myself clean with (soap and water costs money, too).

Had I left that job, despite being so poorly-off, I was told that it would be 6 months before I was entitled to any money. Catch 22.

By the time I was able to get a better-paid job (several years because of the shit jobs on my c.v.) I was wearing patched clothes, cardboard in my shoes and living on bread and Bovril (okay for the figure, hell for the complexion!).

A friend of mine recently took voluntary redundancy from her job at a local firm, with a £20k tax-free pay-off. I don't know how she managed it but immediately she was entitled to every benefit going. She hasn't touched a penny of her pay-off and is currently working cash-in-hand. I won't be telling anyone, but have pointed out that not only is this fraudulent but somewhat hypocritical as she was always one of the first to moan about "scroungers".

Her excuse? She's got kids, one of whom is about to embark on a career as a single mum, so yet more benefits.

She wonders why I am pissed off with her.

I find myself wondering these days why I didn't get pregnant at 16 and let the State keep me?

The answer - like Shadow's - pride and self-respect.

How did we get to work-related stress from the BNP on Question Time? It's another miracle of topic-twiddling! :lol:

Back