Breeders Cup Meeting

Not sure why people are hung up on these not being G1 horses - they will be in 2 or 3 years time.

Not Dettori's best moment but a great ride and win for Beckett and Smullen.

Gosden's horse in the Juvenile got a nice boost today when Crowded House won as he beat him in the Tattersalls race last time.

Later on I cannot have Conduit in the Turf and Eagle Mountain in the same race.

The horse just behind Crowded House broke his maiden too Gal from the same Tatts Million (Monitor Closely)

I can't have Soldier of Fortune - too short and though I'll probs get sectioned for saying it think that Spring House can go close.

No surprise to see Beckett emotional when the American lady tried to interview. Not a graded race but a superb achievement.

Maddeningly I don't have ruk yet - doing too much running about still to justify it! - would so love to have seen the aftermath. Big fan of Rafey Baby - I did a piece on the yard a few months back which oddly only saw the light of day last night LOL! - what timing :p

PS And agreed - it was as Jason Weaver just said 'a great ride' from Smullen - he was correctly and intelligently placed all the way

Last edited:
I would go as far as to say that that is the biggest thing that's ever happened to European all-weather racing. A horse that spent most of his career at Lingfield, Wolverhampton, Kempton and Dundalk winning a Breeders Cup race?

The Dundalk management will be delighted.

I do not think Solider Of Fortune is a "great" horse or anything, but I would be disappointed if he could not beat Conduit (remember him struggling home in a Group race at Goodwood). Eagle Mountain would be really interesting if I knew he was not going to bounce off the wall...I think Red Rocks is the biggest danger to the O'Brien horse. 4/1 and 8/1 for the two sons of Galileo are not bad prices....it is not as if SOF is 7/4 or something.

Regarding the "graded" races...they may well be Grade 1s in the future but they are not right now and you'd think the RP and co could get it right. They have the juvenile turf down as a Grade 1 tonight...it is not.

Last edited:
Some shocking rides in there - did someone tell the jocks at the front it was only 4f long?

Great ride on the front two though - well judged and Richard Migliore timed it to perfection.

Too right - hope Goldikova does the biz or I'm going to have to put a bit more in the BF bank LOL. I had Fleeting Spirit e/w and was heart in mouth there...

A bit like Visit last night. Was just thinking what a perfect "winning" ride a horse had got and both got done at the death. No margin for error is there?

You could see when they hit the little piece of pro-ride that the gap was there and he had to take it. Camera viewing from overhead is superb.

If Murtagh or Dettori try to come up the inside in the Classic they should be made find their own way home. All the winners on the dirt coming down the middle.

First 3 there all California horses.

Been sweet on Whatsthescript since the markets opened last month - on at 16's and 20's each way, goes best fresh and really think this could be the one (as alluded to earlier in the thread).

I know I shouldnt say it but our Spontano ran against Shaklis some years ago (17/9/04). Funny to think winner is still around and actually ending up in a race like this....

Back