Breeder's Cup Meeting

Actually ATR have really pissed me off with those comments when we often sneer at the Americans for the drugs use. Disgraceful and inaccurate comments trying to lump the lack of success by Ballydoyle down to not using drugs. They used drugs last year and had no winners, and the year before and the year before.

Their horses are clearly over the top this time of year, not good enough or a bit of bad luck and to suggest it can be put down to lack of drugs is not only guessing but pretty irresponsible.

Agree. I think I have to send an 'angry of ....' email to them to complain. Crap and sensational seeking reporting, with some kind of weird undercurrent. What is their motive? Backhander from the drug manufacturers?

and why like Dancing Brave spoil his reputation when he was not in his true form.

Db didnt spoil his reputation. It was almost (as was more the case then) and afterthought rather than an aim and he had won a superb arc. He had nothing to really lose at that point

Lets be honest, using Twice Over as a form guide (suggesting he ran to the same level in the Eclipse as he did tonight or at Newmarket) is about as weak as using Rip's run tonight as a genuine guide to STS's form. Twice Over clearly did not perform in the Eclipse.

One might though ask why he ran so badly that day. They went like scalded cats in the Eclipse and he couldn't lie up at all .

It is fair I would suggest Gal to say he is about as good as the horse who beat him in the Prince of Wales's Stakes Vision d Etat - and we know what STS did to him in the Arc . I suspect an in form Twice Over would have been upsides or just in front of Conduit in that Eclipse.

Last edited:
Db didnt spoil his reputation. It was almost (as was more the case then) and afterthought rather than an aim and he had won a superb arc. He had nothing to really lose at that point

I remember his defeat by Manila vividly and it did take the gilt off the gngerbread.

I really do not get this "unbeaten" tag to keep your reputation - a defeat in the Classic (by a below par performance) would and should have absolutely no barring whatsoever for any self respect fan of the sport with any knowledge of the game. When I think of Dancing Brave I think of superstar - not the bloody Breeders Cup defeat!

Goldikova and Zenyatta were both magnificent. Two truely fabulous fillies.

I don't agree that tonight results knock the Sea the Stars form. Good runs from Conduit and Twice Over boost it. The two Ballydoyle horses weren't at their best.

If you ask me O'brien is not doing it right he should bypass the Guineas and some other races if he has his mind set on USA thats all his horses are in hard work in early march and he expects them to be at there peak in November it's not possible

I suggest that would not be feasible in commercial terms . Perhaps a longer summer break might.

Hard no they dont have a stand out 4yr old for next season.I suspect Mastercraftsman could be retired and the Rip with his injuries is a hard horse to keep right for a tough 4yr old campaign.I have to ask were is Age Of Aquarias?

I really do not get this "unbeaten" tag to keep your reputation - a defeat in the Classic (by a below par performance) would and should have absolutely no barring whatsoever for any self respect fan of the sport with any knowledge of the game. When I think of Dancing Brave I think of superstar - not the bloody Breeders Cup defeat!

Gal - I think you are too young to remember what it felt like at the time . It was very deflating to see such a great horse - struggle home one paced.

Gal - I think you are too young to remember what it felt like at the time . It was very deflating to see such a great horse - struggle home one paced.

Istabraq and Moscow getting beat at Cheltenham - two greats that were past it but I do not remember their last efforts. Montjeu in the Breeders Cup Turf, Galileo in the Classic, Dylan Thomas in the Turf - all modern greats but sure as heck I do not think of their last loses.

It is that sort of attitude that has racehorses wrapped up in cottonwool (not something I am saying of STS!) but you should never be afraid of a defeat.

He could well be the horse for next season as he's lightly raced.I'd like to see Rip out again next season but that performance was below par.What will happen to Zenyatta retired to the paddocks :confused:

Thats true enough, but it depends on how much they are aimed at these races. And if the fail with what is apparently their main target then questions are asked. Dancing braves run (as was the acse with this meeting at the time) was not the ultimate target. I suspect that for STS it was the arc too. Conduit was pretty well targeted and just got home and so on

What a fabulous evening's viewing. I adore ZENYATTA - I love the way she kept fooling around with her front leg, pawing the ground, and generally just enjoying herself. She seemed to be so relaxed, and yet interested in everything.

I can't say whether STS would have benefitted from showing up or not - his absence hasn't taken the gilt off the gingerbread of seeing an outstanding, unique mare retaining her record and clearly bringing enormous happiness to the ecstatic crowd. I loved that people had made GO ZENYATTA posters for her and that she has touched the hearts of so many.

So many super performances, while the races, overall, looked fairly and cleanly run. Thank goodness, no breakdowns or tragic fatalities to ruin the festive spirit of the occasion. The only fly in the ointment being the lack of significant Irish success - the BC seems to be a doomed mission for them. I don't think it's the medication issue, either. Possibly that AOB's yard is beginning to turn at this time of year more than others? It's got to be very, very disheartening for all concerned, but I don't know what the fix is. Lasix and Bute wouldn't seem to be it.

Did my money today but a great day's racing. I've never been to any sporting event where the winner has received a reception like Zentatta did!

They were handing those posters out at the entrances and I thought it was tempting a thrashing and I like Hamm, did a complete U-Turn on her over the past few days and the Rip prices nearly tempted me. I'd backed Twice Over and Quality Road who behaved like a right idiot at the start, thought the handlers could have done better though, they just ended up winding him up even more. Amazing stuff from the winner though, can't argue with that performance, STS would have made it a race to savour for decades though.

In the other races, I thought Gomez gave Gayago an appalling ride and Murtagh was also braindead on Viscount Nelson. California Flag impressed me massively in the turf sprint too.

Great days racing and hugely glad I went even if I did miss the first couple due to traffice.

Zenyatta - a wonderful filly and boy does she know it. From the moment I saw her go past me at Hollywood Park on Wed, I knew she couldn't get beat. Rip didn't look great (his 2 washing outs told alot) and his feet looked terrible - if ever there was a time to lay a horse, it was today.

Some great results though and brilliant to take the Americans on and stuff them! One of the best moments was watching Midday make her way to the winners enclosure and all the Brits shouting "Henry, Henry, Henry!"

I've got some pics which I will sort through and try and post when I get back.

Missed the action last night but sounds like it was a very good night's racing.

I was thinking a few days ago what the future might hold for Rip should he have been beaten in the Classic last night. Would the team at Ballydoyle try and keep him in training next year considering all the difficulties he's had with his feet? Might be a hard job to try and keep him sound over the winter althpug perhaps a complete winter break might give them a chance to recover?

Jinnyj: you're right about ZENYATTA knowing she's a superstar - if one believes in reincarnation, she's Marilyn Monroe! That oh-so cute extending of her right front leg! What, exactly, is the prob with RvW's feet? Are they filled with filler - has he lost portions of them - what has gone on? Hope you're having a great time out there (it's still slapping down with rain since last night here on the south coast!) and look forward to the photos on your return.

Back