Breeder's Cup Meeting

What will it prove if he wins? How would that make him a superstar?
A 'star' maybe, but he still won't have beaten the best horse of his generation
it won't re-write the season

And Sea The Star's will not have beaten Zenyetta nor Rachel Alexandra....it's not the point. Rip Van Winkle turns up, Sea The Stars doesn't. End of really.

I've knocked Rip all season and was sceptical about him all year and whilst I think the mile division is incredibly weak bar Goldikova, he's been very impressive. His second to Sea The Stars is obviously excellent too.

A win in the classic would prove his versatility over 1m2f on an artificial surface, I think he has a great shout however I don't think the opposition is all that. I still don't think the classic gets the billing it deserves as I said a few weeks ago on the STS thread. Not the strongest renewal but I still think it's a race for true champions.

Juvenile Dirt – Beethoven & Alfred Nobel
Juvenile Turf – Viscount Nelson
Juvenile Fillys Turf – Lillie Langtry
Classic – Rip Van Winkle & Mastercraftsman
Marathon – Man Of Iron

Its been while since Ballydoyle have had a Breeders Cup Winner, High Chapparal was the last in 2003. A lot of placed horses and hard luck stories the last few years Powerscourt/Antonius Pius/Westphalia/Heart Shaped/Excellent Art. Has not been lucky meeting of course also losing George Washinton and Landseer :(

Its been while since Ballydoyle have had a Breeders Cup Winner, High Chapparal was the last in 2003. A lot of placed horses and hard luck stories the last few years Powerscourt/Antonius Pius/Westphalia/Heart Shaped/Excellent Art. Has not been lucky meeting of course also losing George Washinton and Landseer :(

Heart shaped and Rock of Gib lost due to the pilot. Reckon they'll have at least one this year.

Have they Godolphined Septimus and Soldier of Fortune?

From the Irish Times, "one horse missing from the Breeders’ Cup will be Septimus as O’Brien has drawn stumps on hopes to run last year’s Irish Leger hero this season. A decision on whether he remains in training in 2010 has yet to be made"

ELEVEN 2nds at the Breeders Cup for O'Brien?

Giants Causeway, Antonius Pius, Ace, L'Ancresse, Rock of Gibraltar, Achill Island, Heart Shaped, Excellent Art, Milan, Westaphalia and Henrythenavigator.

Last edited:
Aidan O'Brien currently sixth in Breeders Cup money ($ 8,598,520 ). Only winners were Johannesburg and High Chaparral.

52 Runners
3 Wins
11 Seconds
4 Thirds
2 Fourth
5 Fifth
2 Sixth

Septimus out of the Marathon

Disappointed about Septimus .. I would think that will be it for him now. The trip to Australia may have nailed him but looking back over his career he was a horse that maybe could not handle too much racing.

Have the Americans got any worthy challengers for the Mile? I note that the closest horses to Goldikova in the betting are trained over here.

Cowboy Cal is probably the best of them and might be the one to make the running. He is tough and improving but really a G2 type of horse.

Back