Breeder's Cup

Happily take 12/1 E/W about Force Freeze in the next - bit of a dark horse in that he's raced primarily in Dubai but he has GS form going back 3 1/2 years to a nice run at Pimlico and was 2nd to Giant Ryan LTO (GR is currently half the price). FF had previously taken out an ungraded stakes in impressive fashion at Monmouth and I think the Belmont run should have put him spot on and the old boy can go close here.

Happily take 12/1 E/W about Force Freeze in the next - bit of a dark horse in that he's raced primarily in Dubai but he has GS form going back 3 1/2 years to a nice run at Pimlico and was 2nd to Giant Ryan LTO (GR is currently half the price). FF had previously taken out an ungraded stakes in impressive fashion at Monmouth and I think the Belmont run should have put him spot on and the old boy can go close here.

Great call, ta

good call..hard luck on the win

Looked at this last night and can't help but think that approximately 30/1 about Holiday For Kitten here is a massive price. She won at the course last year albeit over 9f and has some decent turf sprint form, she's held by a couple of todays rivals but Wes Ward thought her good enough to target Royal Ascot back in June, she flopped badly on that occasion but has since been competitive in a couple of turf sprint stakes and racing handy rather than leading LTO seemed to suit her as she defeated subsequent FM Sprint winner Musical Romance by a head. The drop back to 5f is a concern but Joel Rosario is a very decent jockey and she can go close here. The fav looks tough to beat whilst Havelock can go close if getting a strong pace.

Simon: no, I've never disliked jumps racing, just several aspects of it in the UK, like boring the pants off them by giving them just two types of obstacles for all the regular meetings, which I am convinced leads to the falls we have which in turn result in the high number of fatalities compared to the interesting jumping in France, which doesn't. We should be creating more 'cross-country' style races, not viewing them as novelties, if we're to resemble the heritage of the code, which is, after all, national HUNT racing. We're asking horses to scramble a day out hunting into a few minutes of hectic galloping, which is artifice enough, but to then ask them to tackle two types of obstacles which bear no resemblance to what they'd encounter out with hounds is even more artificial. In fact, it ought to be renamed Artificial NH, in the way we have artificial surfaces for the flat, which don't resemble natural grass in the slightest.

I spoke to one of the owners at the last meeting at Plumpton, whose nag came plumb last, and asked if he might be sharpened up by a little hunting. The gent actually hunts, and agreed, so we set sail for my favourite theory and yes, he agreed absolutely that chasers do get very bored/soured/disinterested and that going to meets re-engages their eye and their brain. Which, if you have read my several diatribes on the issue, is exactly what is missing with putting them over the same routine year on year. Their concentration and interest can flag and I am convinced that that is due to the utterly boring construction of our NH courses. They may not be as bright as chimps, but they do have a capacity for boredom, and personally, I'd be running out or refusing to start if I faced my fourth year or more of exactly the same work, in pretty much the same places, for the yawning foreseeable future. Just try some very repetitive tasks which are well beneath your ability, and you'll see what I mean. When you fall off your chair and break your arm, due to having lost the will to live, I'll send for the vet with the humane bolt.

Fabulous story behind AMAZOMBIE! A 'throw-in' - a BOGOF with a $5,000 deal for another horse which Strawr actually wanted, and pockets them a humungous prize. Great to see Mike Smith looking happy, as against the embarrassment of his last Breeder's showing when overfacing ZENYATTA with her task against BLAME.

Last edited:
Taking Jersey Town here @ 19.5 on Betfair. Ran a solid prep race last time out in the Kelso - was well beaten by a top class miler in Uncle Mo with Jackson Bend second but the time was beaten and it was his third placing in three starts since a seven month break. His last run pre-break was in the Grade 1 Cigar Mile which along with the Met (run in NY in May) were the most prestigious races for dirt milers before the addition of this race. That came with a big speed figure on a fast surface and this is the first time since that he'll have gone two turns with a fastish surface under foot. He had a similar starts/improvement profile going into that Cigar Mile victory and it also came off around a month break and he's shown he's in good heart with a sharp workout going 5f on 29th October.

Will also be backing this fellow E/W @ 18/1 as he looks a cracking bet to me.

Maritn

Back