Breeding and Bloodstock Sales

My friend who does research into pedigrees sent me this, what an amazing story:
Seeing both the City & Suburban and Great Metropolitan Handicaps being run at Epsom today reminded me of a filly named Virago who was foaled in 1851. As a 2-Y-O she ran just once in November 1853, unplaced in a selling plate, being deliberately left at the start. She returned at three at Epsom, winning the City & Suburban Handicap (10f.) carrying just 6st. 4lb. and beating 22 opponents. Just over a hour later she returned to contest the Great Metropolitan Handicap (then 18f.) and this time carrying 6st. beat 18 opponents. In the next three weeks she won two more handicaps as well as the 1000 Guineas. In the latter she frightened away the opposition as she had only two opponents. She didn't run in the Oaks but the filly she beat in the 1000 Guineas finished second in the Oaks. In all she won 10 of her 11 races at three, including the Goodwood Cup (21f.), carrying 7st. 3lb., from two opponents, and the Nassau Stakes (8f.) the following day. She also won the Yorkshire Oaks (12f.) Doncaster Cup (18f.) later in the year. A tough, versatile filly! Unfortunately her line soon died out, although one of her foals, named Thalestris, won the 1864 Cesarewitch (18f.).

Posted in another thread that Idaho Falls, dam of Allaho was "sold " for a bag of apples (or two), either when carrying Allaho or before that breeding season.
Apparently Henri Devin and wife Antonia had too many mares and wanted to gift one to someone looking for a mare.
Whatever disappointment they may have felt was compensated for by the fact they kept onto the dam of A Plus Tard .
Antonia 's sister owns Missunited , who foaled recently to Blue Point, a mating made when Camelot was unavailable.

Winx successfully foaled a filly overnight [emoji16][emoji3059]
5d2234e351df7b0b7c4dcf78c74ddeb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend who researches pedigrees sent this re Alpinista and thought some may be interested:
Alpinista's fourth dam Alruccaba is the ancestress of 11 G1 winners, 7 G2 winners and 9 G3 winners, including two recent St. Leger winners Galileo Chrome and Eldar Eldarov and yesterday's G3 winner Midnight Mile.
:)

Last edited:
Was looking through the November Tatts foal sales catalogue this morning.
Of the 1372 lots available
Sergei Prokofiev has no less than 67 foals catalogued.
Time Test 39
Ardad 36
Mehmas, Showcasing 30
Bated Breath 20
Saxon Warrior 18

Frankel, Cracksman 10 each
US Navy Flag 4
Galileo, Sioux Nation just1 each .

I've just read today that High Definition has been sold (something like £375k) to go hurdling.

That's a bit sad but not many hurdling recruits will have been up to running to 119 in the Flat season prior to switching. I would love if he became successful in that sphere and hope he isn't going sour. I think I read that he's also undergone the unkindest cut.

I always find it ironic that this is sometimes suggested as a means of 'making a man of' a horse.

Then again, I suppose if they got enough excised equine testicles together they could make a Tory cabinet of them.

I've just read today that High Definition has been sold (something like £375k) to go hurdling.

That's a bit sad but not many hurdling recruits will have been up to running to 119 in the Flat season prior to switching. I would love if he became successful in that sphere and hope he isn't going sour. I think I read that he's also undergone the unkindest cut.

I always find it ironic that this is sometimes suggested as a means of 'making a man of' a horse.

Then again, I suppose if they got enough excised equine testicles together they could make a Tory cabinet of them.

The first cut is the deepest

Who is he in training with?

Frankel fee £275,000, Dubawi £350,000. Have to say both a bit crazy particularly Dubawi. I'm wondering if his fertility becoming an issue and they're trying to make hay while the sun is still shining?

Back