Breeding and Bloodstock Sales

Tasiteasai was sold at Tattersalls Ireland last week for €18,000.

Leased by Whitegrass, she won on her debut at Tramore but didn’t progress from there.

Here's an intellectual exercise for those who are interested in breeding and especially those who have already dabbled in the dark arts.

I have a mare who won her point but was injured before she had a chance to prove her ability under rules. I'm toying with the idea of breeding from her and I'm looking at the budget end of the UK stallion market. Any suggestions? She's by Flemensfirth out of a Be My Native mare so it's a pretty open field of suitable stallions. I have my own ideas but I'd be interested in what others might come to mind. Top line on the fee would be £4k but less preferred.

I know aliterally nothing about breeding, but €5K to have a mare covered by Westerner looks a bargain to me!

Try Shade Oak stud...they have a few nice stallions there including Telescope and Dartmouth.

Here's an intellectual exercise for those who are interested in breeding and especially those who have already dabbled in the dark arts.

I have a mare who won her point but was injured before she had a chance to prove her ability under rules. I'm toying with the idea of breeding from her and I'm looking at the budget end of the UK stallion market. Any suggestions? She's by Flemensfirth out of a Be My Native mare so it's a pretty open field of suitable stallions. I have my own ideas but I'd be interested in what others might come to mind. Top line on the fee would be £4k but less preferred.

Pethers Moon, Passing Glance or Walzertakt

Schiaparelli, £2000 plus VAT, stunning horse Monsun x Old Vic on mares side. Go and see him if poss, will be blown away. Leading GB based chase stallion last season I think. They do need time, they're not 3 or 4 year olds.

I would have said Jack Hobbs but his fee not being advertised and his have been selling very well so suspect would be above your budget.

Passing Glance, £3000 + VAT, having a good time at the mo with offspring. I actually didn't like him when I went to see him, purely personal view. Other half at the time really liked him.

Logician is £4,000 plus VAT if you could stretch/wanted to but they don't tend to sell well generally. I'm not sold on him but again personal taste.

Telescope is lovely looking and his career getting going and selling better than they have previously. He's £3000 plus VAT .

Yorton Farms' are all reasonable priced as well, 2 sons of Monsun there.

If you can get there may be worth going to the Doncaster sale in January as they have NH stallions there on view and you could have achat/see more than one in the flesh at the same time so may save some trips.

I would encourage if posssible to go and see prospective ones in the flesh. Photos sometimes don't do them justice - Schiaparelli in the flesh is nothing like his photos as in he's mightily impressive in the flesh where photos don't show that. I am biased yes but even other half at the time, not prone to being impressed easily ( knows horses as well ) said 'wow' when they pulled him out. Best 'told you' I've ever had in my life!

Email first and ask if their idea of the breeding would match as some may say no, or possibly not, but those ones certainly okay in my limited knowledge.

Good luck! One of the best things in the world seeing the foal for first time. Please let us know where you go and keep up to date if do!
Would also say go for walk in cover where poss as stud bills can be very high and you have no control over them for keep etc.

Echo the comments above especially about walking the mare in and not getting stung for huge keep fees!

G-G is it worth being a member of the TBA these days? I know they used to be very good when a friend of mine worked there but not sure what it’s like these days.

Thanks for the responses. Clearly, this is for next year and assuming she completes her recuperation in good time, maybe end of February.

To sharpen up on the parameters, she's only about 15.2/15.3hh so I'm keeping to stallions at 16.1 maybe 16.2 at a pinch. Also, as a first foal, if it makes it to a racecourse I'd prefer it to be sooner rather than later so a stallion that can get early types would be favoured. The mare is currently in north Shropshire and keeping the distance to the stud to a minimum would be helpful. Based on the above and the helpful comments posted, I've got a very flexible early shortlist, with room for additions, of:
Dartmouth
Gentlewave
Walzertakt
Yorgunnabelucky

I went to Shade Oak Stud in the summer to view some stores and was quite taken with Dartmouth (and the whole set-up). I've still to visit Chapel, Yorton and Mickley studs but looking forward to it as part of the experience. If you can work out the initials, Chapel Stud do some interesting terms:
https://chapelstud.co.uk/pick-a-nom

Last edited:
Just FYI couple of very promising novices out of Yorgunnabelucky - Libberty Hunter and Timeforatune. Expensive buys. The last-named won a listed bumper, too.

Sad news and spookily I have just had a mare by him delivered here today to replace the lame polo pony that was keeping Reg company. She’s very like Kayf Tara and has bred four foals including a nice two year old filly by Blue Bresil, sire of Constitution Hill which the owners are really excited about. The mare won three times Pointing so it could be nice. Sadly her most recent foal, a colt by Telescope succumbed to a very rare intestinal condition after weaning.

Back