Breeding and Bloodstock Sales

Echo the comments above especially about walking the mare in and not getting stung for huge keep fees!

G-G is it worth being a member of the TBA these days? I know they used to be very good when a friend of mine worked there but not sure what it’s like these days.

I'd say no to be honest. I used to be a member a few years ago but was an expensive magazine once a month and not a lot more really for me personally. A couple of years ago, well obviously re Covid , they had a scheme where they had free badges for a number of race meetings members could apply for, first come as it were, and that really worked out a good deal but they stopped it after one year citing the courses did not want to carry on with it. Most studs/stables will allow people to visit if you ask nicely anyway and they were always in the week so day off work needed etc.

One of my biggest gripes is breeders badges. Some racecourses don't do them at all - Wetherby for one and it;s sold out Boxing Day already, BBB supposed to be running ( with probably a sodding 12 2 - can I say sodding? ggggggrrrrrrrrrrr ) , Cheltenham did , good job I was sitting down, but not allowed in paddock/pre parade and yet they were both full of people who had absolutely NOTHING to do with any of the horses in there. The TBA has a scheme where breeder badges are available but it's down to the individual racecourse. Last time BBB ran at Wetherby a friend who's a member said the racecourse weren't participating in the TBA scheme, and they weren't allowing ROA members to get badges either. Have to say, sorry off subject a bit, but the ROA membership is really good value for getting badges to other meetings . A friend has it and we get in to loads of meetings for 'free' including racecards.
Maybe horses for courses as it were but £150/£175 may not be a bad deal if getting offers on badges if used enough. If BBB ran down south and more often I might have thought about it. Kate Walton usually will offer if she can get me one if not the full quota used by the owners.
Anyone who has a ticket for Wetherby for Boxing Day and can't go... happy to pay obviously :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Clearly, this is for next year and assuming she completes her recuperation in good time, maybe end of February.

To sharpen up on the parameters, she's only about 15.2/15.3hh so I'm keeping to stallions at 16.1 maybe 16.2 at a pinch. Also, as a first foal, if it makes it to a racecourse I'd prefer it to be sooner rather than later so a stallion that can get early types would be favoured. The mare is currently in north Shropshire and keeping the distance to the stud to a minimum would be helpful. Based on the above and the helpful comments posted, I've got a very flexible early shortlist, with room for additions, of:
Dartmouth
Gentlewave
Walzertakt
Yorgunnabelucky

I went to Shade Oak Stud in the summer to view some stores and was quite taken with Dartmouth (and the whole set-up). I've still to visit Chapel, Yorton and Mickley studs but looking forward to it as part of the experience. If you can work out the initials, Chapel Stud do some interesting terms:
https://chapelstud.co.uk/pick-a-nom

Covering starts 14th February so end of the month not a problem if you can get an early cover. You may now have to do a bit of haggling to some of the more subscribed stallions to get an early cover date, a lot will have a lot of bookings already.
Check the contract as well re terms as a lot used to be no pregnancy confirmed no charge ( usually get 3 attempts ) but because some would have 2 goes and then go to another stallion if the 2 hadn't worked, so the stud got nothing, a lot changed their contracts so they say you must have the 3 attempts and if you don't, the nomination fee is still due. Overbury definitely have this clause.
Just as a 'might help' , i won a silent auction for my second cover ran by the TBA, they used to do it at Cheltenham but know they still run it through some means so might be worth taking a look to see if can find it/ask them if not gone already? I got mine a £1000 cheaper.

I see that Oran's/Winning Ways' Royal Kahala has sold for 180,000 in foal to Crystal Ocean. The purchaser was her breeder, Robert McCarthy, who sold her as a foal for 5,000.

Apparently they have all been at Adam Kirbys being broken in....let’s hope he got paid! As there are 17 two year olds.

Thanks for the responses. Clearly, this is for next year and assuming she completes her recuperation in good time, maybe end of February.

To sharpen up on the parameters, she's only about 15.2/15.3hh so I'm keeping to stallions at 16.1 maybe 16.2 at a pinch. Also, as a first foal, if it makes it to a racecourse I'd prefer it to be sooner rather than later so a stallion that can get early types would be favoured. The mare is currently in north Shropshire and keeping the distance to the stud to a minimum would be helpful. Based on the above and the helpful comments posted, I've got a very flexible early shortlist, with room for additions, of:
Dartmouth
Gentlewave
Walzertakt
Yorgunnabelucky

I went to Shade Oak Stud in the summer to view some stores and was quite taken with Dartmouth (and the whole set-up). I've still to visit Chapel, Yorton and Mickley studs but looking forward to it as part of the experience. If you can work out the initials, Chapel Stud do some interesting terms:

TBA running a silent auction from 23/01 - 26/01 ( until 3pm) , have a look at thetba.co.uk as there might be something on there you may be interested in? I 'bought' my second nomination from one ran at Cheltenham, when they used to have the stallions there, and got it £1000 cheaper than the stud price.

Circumstances have conspired against me doing proper due diligence so I have gone with my heart and booked Connie in with Dartmouth.

Reasons?
He has decent figures; has produced 3yo winner with his first NH runner; produces nice, correct foals; above all, he's just a nice, professional person.
I'm hopeful that Dubawi will be a top sire of sires.
Shade Oak as an operation has a good feel.

As it stands, because it's her maiden covering I'm going to board her there until the 28 day scan. As she's currently on the walker with the trainer (and under lights in her box), it makes sense to send her straight to Shade Oak (just down the road) towards the end of February. I'm assuming that it will be completely different next year but have decided to leave it to the professionals for the first time.

Last edited:
I think Dartmouth is a great choice! This is really exciting! Please keep us updated :)

Circumstances have conspired against me doing proper due diligence so I have gone with my heart and booked Connie in with Dartmouth.

Reasons?
He has decent figures; has produced 3yo winner with his first NH runner; produces nice, correct foals; above all, he's just a nice, professional person.
I'm hopeful that Dubawi will be a top sire of sires.
Shade Oak as an operation has a good feel.

As it stands, because it's her maiden covering I'm going to board her there until the 28 day scan. As she's currently on the walker with the trainer (and under lights in her box), it makes sense to send her straight to Shade Oak (just down the road) towards the end of February. I'm assuming that it will be completely different next year but have decided to leave it to the professionals for the first time.

Best of luck. He was at the stallon parade yesterday at Doncaster which I went to. He still looks like a racehorse rather than a stallion if you know what I mean? So did Golden Horn which was a major surprise as he's been covering a few years and looked as if just come off the racecourse. Unfortunately Jack Hobbs not there as trod on a stone day before. Of the others I saw, Logician, very pretty but didn't like him at all, dipped back and short legs. Yorton had one out which was very nice but a friend who was there that day selling a yearling , and someone trust me got a bargain for £10k as the colt was smashing, said they are a nightmare with vet bills etc and he would never use any of those stallions again, and he's been a breeder for years. One of the others I liked the look of was Ocovango who was really eye catching.

A lot of the yearlings were smashing but clearance rate very poor when some going for really good money, but others attracting no bids. Universally the Jack Hobbs' were lovely. Really strong looking yearlings, both fillies and colts. Also very nice, and if I had the money, the Nathaniels. He really stamps them. Every time I go to a sale makes me realise again how much I miss working in the industry even if some of the clients complete rude knobheads. Prime example again yesterday was father of grand national winning jockey who clearly thinks he's something. Totally rude and out of order but thinks he's funny.

Last edited:
I have a pet theory about such "knobheads".
They have this notion that a period spent "breaking in horses " gives them the right to break in /break people in a similar manner.
It was a major factor in my choice of farm animal practice over equine.
Best keep the racing as a hobby and bore the shyness out of you lot instead; your bad luck.
Apologies !

Dartmouth is lovely Archie - he was next on the list for grape if things had been different. Really really good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9ee10c8c8ed5ba30776dbba93c7aa358.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dartmouth
Gentlewave
Walzertakt
Yorgunnabelucky

I've come to the party late but for future reference I ran the matings through the G1Goldmine analysis system, and (assuming from the nickname that you are referring to Coningberg?) it showed Walzertakt as a 20/20 match - this means that "a pattern has two or more Graded Stakes Winners with CSI values above 20. This indicates that this mating is excellent as there are at least two superior horses with a very similar pattern".

The others didnt rate so highly, but you cant reduce everything to "numbers" and I still prioritise a horseman's eye over a computer rating, so good luck with the mating.

Thanks Ascot. It was a close call between Dartmouth and Walzertakt but shaded by my previous experience of Shade Oak. Maybe next year...

Back