Breeding and Bloodstock Sales

Unfortunately, Connie has tested negative in today's scan. No dramas or mishaps, she's just absorbed it. Half expected because she showed the tiniest signs of being in season a couple of weeks ago. The stud say it often happens with maiden mares and they're fine in subsequent years. If at first you don't succeed......

Took my first mare five goes to take properly ( poor Nomadic Way got kept back from his holiday for one last go!) , and grape spent the entire season at Batsford refusing to get in foal to Kutub - she’ll get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And so Book 1 starts at Tattersalls, Newmarket and kicks off with the first Millionaire just sold, being out of the remarkable Shayste. Her progeny to date which include Japan and Mogul have sold for a total of 15.2m. I was there when her most expensive went through the ring, Sir Isaac Newton who fetched 3.6m and he was simply stunning (I’m not sure he was campaigned brilliantly and I think he ended up breaking a leg in Australia?). Anyway this last offspring is by Dubawi and has been bought by Sheikh Mo (who looks badly in need of a decent haircut judging by recent photos?)

Gestut Ammerland to disperse their stock at Arquana this December.
8 mares, 4 fillies and 2 foals.
Not a lot but, Waldgeist's full sister in foal to Siyouni and Lady Frankel, A Frankel half sister to Loup De Vega.
They gave us Hurricane Run, Loup De Vega, Waldgeist, Boreal , Borgia and Golden Lilac in 34 years existence.
Please form an orderly queue.

Big Niarchos dispersal at Goffs November.
44 mares, 5 Group1 winners, 10 Group winners.
Alpha Centauri in foal to Sea The Stars,
Alpine Star in foal to Frankel
Tapestry in foal to Dubawi.
Euro millions is 130 million next week so can someone fix it for me pls?
I promise not to try breed Bumper horses......for a year or two at any rate..

Alpine Star just made 6,000,000 .
Alpha Centauri due in next 30 minutes.

On Coolmore stallion trail yesterday our guide told us that 80 to 100 of their mares are heading stateside to be covered by Justify this year.
One reason to keep Auguste Rodin in training for BC Classic/ they are overjoyed that Justify can get proper 2yos.
2027/28 could be very big seasons once the transport does not leave them down.
Big promoters of the fact that it is a working farm, supporting the local economy , closer to nature with reduced worm dosing etc to maximise care to the environment.
They have headstones in memory of their champion racehorses and sires through the years; the only memorial missing is one to C J Haughey who made it all possible by the tax free status on profits from stallion shares/ fees though it must be remembered that this was done to enable Sir Ivor to stand for his first season in Ireland, his owner Raymond Guest was U.S. Ambassador to Ireland at the time.
CJ also gave tax free status to "money from America ", sent home by emigrants to their family.
Bags of clothes were also sent home, hence the term " dressed like a yank " was a description commonly heard when I were a lad.

Potentially their best stallion since Galileo and could as influential in the SH as Danehill as there's more than enough nice youngsters by him down in Australia.

They are going big on justify. I feel they are neglecting the likes of Churchill Australia etc. The justifies do look like they finish their races so strongly. Maybe justify has a huge heart. They only found out secretariat had a heart more than twice the size of a normal horse after he died.

Last edited:
Check out gmb@racingpost.com to register for Martyn Stephen's daily bloodstock diary.
He reckons we could see the first public 1,000 000 NH sale today,( Caldwell Potter) and the horse could be the cheapest lot sold today.
It may give some perspective to An Capall's valuation of Constitution Hill Saturday in his article.

Last edited:
Although it’s a shame for the Elliot yard to lose such a nice horse to another trainer, it seems apt that he’s been bough to replace Hermes Allen.

Back