Brexit

Brexit, Stay or Leave.

• Stay

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Leave

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters
They exist everywhere in every nation of the world. Who said they "didn't exist"?

my point is that an explicitly racist party has never garnered the support in the uk that has been the case in most continental states. We don't do extremes.

Largely, I agree with you. However, there was no evidence of Polish community centres being damaged or Latvian kids being told to fu*ck off home by their schoolmates, before the Referendum. The Police need to come down very-hard on that sort of thing, before it escalates......and there is definitely the potential for that, I would say.

Without coming across as holier-than-thou, I'm grateful to say that this is not an issue in Scotland. Our problem here is sectarianism, rather than racism......though even that is more dilute than it used to be (thankfully).

I totally agree. Its not the british way as just about everyone would acknowledge

that community centre is i believe in chiswick and has been there for decades. Chiswick was the original home for the polish community in london after the holocaust and i actually did work in the area with a holocaust survivor back in the eighties. it disgusts me of course but she would have been the first to state unequivocally what this country is all about

Largely, I agree with you. However, there was no evidence of Polish community centres being damaged or Latvian kids being told to fu*ck off home by their schoolmates, before the Referendum. The Police need to come down very-hard on that sort of thing, before it escalates......and there is definitely the potential for that, I would say.

String em up!

A few pikey racist teenagers swinging from the school lampposts. that'll shut em up

With respect Grasshopper, I once visited Perth and upon ordering a drink in a bar was told to get out you Sassenach ******* upon hearing my accent.

Was it the accent, or the half-pint of shandy you ordered, that was the give-away? :lol:

To be fair, there is no doubt that arseholes do exist up here who are anti-English - usually for no better reason than they want someone to blame for them coming from places like Perth.

The rule-of-thumb is basically avoid crossing the Forth. The bridge is like a worm-hole which magically transports you back in time 40 years.

With respect Grasshopper, I once visited Perth and upon ordering a drink in a bar was told to get out you Sassenach ******* upon hearing my accent.

At one point, I worked in a call centre taking 600 calls from the English every day (yes it was only English calls). I was abused for being Scottish by them on a daily basis. My favourite came on advising the person that Directory Enquiries were unable to assist with which bus they should get from Tottenham Court Rd to Watford - the response - "you facking scotch cant".

At one point, I worked in a call centre taking 600 calls from the English every day (yes it was only English calls). I was abused for being Scottish by them on a daily basis. My favourite came on advising the person that Directory Enquiries were unable to assist with which bus they should get from Tottenham Court Rd to Watford - the response - "you facking scotch cant".

Still there?

What's the number?

Can I return to the issue of Scottish independence for a moment, Grass, seeing as we're on a Scot-related toic .........

Dominic Raab reminded everyone yesterday that the EU sets down a 3% of a country's GDP deficit as a prequisite for joining.
Doing a little look-up, I notice that Scotland's deficit for 2014/2015 ( the most recent availabe) was £15 Billion ............ 9.5% of GDP.
So, if Scotland voted for independence, it would then take many years of severe austerity and personal tax increases before it could hope to reduce this deficit to the necessary level to join. Are the Scottish people prepared for this? For tax hikes of around 25% and large cuts to services and benefits? For this is the only way to achieve the European requirements. An option might be to apply for loan funding but an independent Scotland will not be able to secure lending unless at extortionate rates as it will have no "history" of such a loan application (the UK as a whole has no problem raising necessary loans as it has never defaulted on a loan, but an independent Scotland is a different fish). So realistically, the only way to satisfy the 3% requirement will be savage cuts and tax raises.

Is Scotland really prepared to carry out an act of harakiri on itself by voting for independence? Honestly, an independent Scotland would be an economic basket-case that nobody would want to touch.

Still there?

What's the number?

Am I ****. Walked out. Couldn't take it any longer. Worst job ever. People from Dudley have an average IQ of about 10 - used to love winding them up by asking if they meant Merry Hill in the West Midlands or Maryhill in Glasgow. "Eh? It's in Merryill. Is there anooother?"

How did they vote?

Am I ****. Walked out. Couldn't take it any longer. Worst job ever. People from Dudley have an average IQ of about 10 - used to love winding them up by asking if they meant Merry Hill in the West Midlands or Maryhill in Glasgow. "Eh? It's in Merryill. Is there anooother?"

How did they vote?

The same way you'll vote if Sturgeon gets her way :whistle:

I was having a quiet pint (I thought) in Cheltenham only a few years ago when a group of three guys rounded on me on hearing my accent when ordering my drink.

They made it very clear to me that they did not want me drinking in their den so I spent the next half-hour rubber-earing them before leaving to find a pub with a large Irish clientele and was made to feel very welcome there.

It's all over the UK, this racist shite.

I was having a quiet pint (I thought) in Cheltenham only a few years ago when a group of three guys rounded on me on hearing my accent when ordering my drink.

They made it very clear to me that they did not want me drinking in their den so I spent the next half-hour rubber-earing them before leaving to find a pub with a large Irish clientele and was made to feel very welcome there.

It's all over the UK, this racist shite.

i wonder about these stories. Frankly

I have never ever seen anything similar. I will counter this with a very nice (ok...rather hot) scottish lady i know very well who's lived in london for 35 years. Without any prompting (i never initiate this type of talk...its of no consequence in london|) she said she has never once heard or experienced any anti scottish comment or remarks in all that time.not even a hint. Anywhere in the south of england. Her accent is very strong too. . One of my closest business partners is from Perth (as it happens) and would say the same

I frankly question some of the crap spouted here .

Last edited:
Can I return to the issue of Scottish independence for a moment, Grass, seeing as we're on a Scot-related toic .........

Dominic Raab reminded everyone yesterday that the EU sets down a 3% of a country's GDP deficit as a prequisite for joining.
Doing a little look-up, I notice that Scotland's deficit for 2014/2015 ( the most recent availabe) was £15 Billion ............ 9.5% of GDP.
So, if Scotland voted for independence, it would then take many years of severe austerity and personal tax increases before it could hope to reduce this deficit to the necessary level to join. Are the Scottish people prepared for this? For tax hikes of around 25% and large cuts to services and benefits? For this is the only way to achieve the European requirements. An option might be to apply for loan funding but an independent Scotland will not be able to secure lending unless at extortionate rates as it will have no "history" of such a loan application (the UK as a whole has no problem raising necessary loans as it has never defaulted on a loan, but an independent Scotland is a different fish). So realistically, the only way to satisfy the 3% requirement will be savage cuts and tax raises.

Is Scotland really prepared to carry out an act of harakiri on itself by voting for independence? Honestly, an independent Scotland would be an economic basket-case that nobody would want to touch.

It's a fair question, Ice.

All of the economic arguments which applied during Indyref don't go away, if Scotland chooses independence - that much is obvious. However, I think the argument now is that it's a decision between being fu*cked as part of the UK, or being fu*cked as part of an independent Scotland. Either way, we're fu*cked, any way I look at it. :lol:

However, I think softer arguments are now at play.

Angus Robertson (one of the contingent of fat SNP blow-hards we have sent to Westminister), said something yesterday which is actually verging on profound - insofar as this argument is concerned. European citizenship means a great deal to the people of Scotland......or at least the vast majority of us (notwithstanding Clive's fantasy on the numbers). I believe this will hold much greater sway in any second Indyref than it did first time round Our European citizenship was at-risk first time around, and that's part of the reason why there was a No vote. This aspect should not be under-estimated, imo.

As I said earlier in the thread, Scotland would need to be given some degree of latitude by the EU, if it was to be waved-through as a 'new' Member. Given the inability of practically every EU country south of Munich to adhere to the fiscal/monetary rules laid down by Brussels, we may be afforded some wiggle-room. Accentuating the positive, there are no issues of trust (in the widest sense), which may be seen as a positive in terms of inward investment, and the EU may just be prepared to make an accommodation e.g. allow us in, and set a target further down the line. Perhaps the ECB may even lend to us at a reasonably preferential rate for a period of time - though I concede that this may be tossed-out as unfair by established EU members.

If not, and it becomes clear that we cannot meet the entrance criteria, then we are faced with a stark choice; either to vote down an Indyref2 (because the economic climate as part of the UK is deemed more favourable), or to take our chances, and absorb the pain of independence.

As has become my refrain since Friday - it is all degrees of avoidable badness.

FWIW, I think we are goners, regardless of whichever position the EU chooses to adopt. Our ability to absorb any Brexit pain is almost certainly easier if we stay in the UK.........but I'm not convinced this is going to be reason enough for the country to vote to stick with the UK.

Last edited:
London is not England (thankfully). London IS open and tolerant and international.

my mate lives in Bedford. the lady i know says England not london specifically. she works in theatre and travels extensively

I'm never rude to scots in England. Every time i buy the Big Issue I am unfailingly polite.

its a pointless discussion anyway. Certain types will always want to believe that certain groupings are uniformly of one mind. They have their prejudices and fairy stories readily to hand

and they can fck off

Last edited:
Back