British Flat Jockeys Title

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
The brother and a friend of mine are on the two of them at big prices -and are hoping for a dead heat having backed Hughes with Powers.

Hughes has a 1 day ban but he reckons he can ride at the full 9 meetings allowed that week.

I suspect it is going to be pretty close .

Well it was against a 6 day ban for careless there was a separate 1 day whip ban . I must admit the rules sound a bit daft - the penalty scale appears to depend on how much interference was caused rather than how careless you were .

Shame for racing though as Hughes has no chance now and a tight finish to a jockey's championship seems to be one of the few things the wider media report a bit .

Last edited:
When Sanders and Spencer were going head to head I was fairly skint and remember sitting down a couple of Saturday afternoons and really enjoying it.Racing has shot itself in the foot again.

When Sanders and Spencer were going head to head I was fairly skint and remember sitting down a couple of Saturday afternoons and really enjoying it.Racing has shot itself in the foot again.

So your saying because they are battling it out they can break the rules and get away with it? What other sport would do that!?

Where did I say that -my point is we could have had 5 weekends of racing making the mainstream sports headlines and all the advantages that brings.

With so many international meetings and races now , I dont think the jockeys championship has too much interest, everybody know these 2 are not in the top 5 jockeys in Europe.

Where did I say that -my point is we could have had 5 weekends of racing making the mainstream sports headlines and all the advantages that brings.

But how did racing (presumably the authorities) shoot themselves in the foot?

It is not the authorities fault that Hughes broke the rules. Just bad luck if you accept that they had to enforce the rules despite the circumstances.

With so many international meetings and races now , I dont think the jockeys championship has too much interest, everybody know these 2 are not in the top 5 jockeys in Europe.

Out of interest, which five (or more) would you have ahead of Hughes at the minute?

Suspensions are a poor punishment in any professional sport, unless the sport is better off with those being punished not participating. Rugby seems to have the most sensible attitude to it.

It is not the authorities fault that Hughes broke the rules. Just bad luck if you accept that they had to enforce the rules despite the circumstances.

Obviously the rules is rules attitude doesn't apply whenever Ballydoyle are involved.

I have not even seen the ride Hughes gave him but I don't understand why you think you think the authorities shot themselves in the foot if you agree that they were right to enforce the rules regardless of the situation in the championship.

I offered no comment on the rules and their enforcement.My point is what English flat racing has to offer to the general public at this stage of the year is fairly unappetizing-a 4 week battle for the title could generate some interest from the media.

I offered no comment on the rules and their enforcement.My point is what English flat racing has to offer to the general public at this stage of the year is fairly unappetizing-a 4 week battle for the title could generate some interest from the media.

I agree but again the only way I see this being avoided would have been if a) Hughes did not commit the riding move or b) the BHA ignored his breech of the rules simply because of the position he is in.

It was clearly arguable that it could have been treated as increased rather than considerable interference . There did appear to be a bit of showboating by the other jockeys .

I think there are two issues (a) the terrible inconsistency of amateur stewards - it will be interesting to see if Hanagan gets any ban for not correcting Tepmokea in the last at York as he dived for the rail and (b) suspensions as a penalty - are they in racing's interest when other penalties might be as effective especially fines.

I don't know who's interested in it anyway! The only time it was of any interest was when it went down to Sanders and Spencer on the last day at Doncaster.

I'd much rather know how the principles for the Champion Stakes and Breeders Cup are in the media rather than how some Scouse fella is doing against some Irish fella.

They're not amateur stewards, though, Ardross. They get trained extensively by the BHA, have to pass tests on their knowledge of the rules, and get paid handsomely for every meeting they work - not to mention a stonking great free lunch.

They're not amateur stewards, though, Ardross. They get trained extensively by the BHA, have to pass tests on their knowledge of the rules, and get paid handsomely for every meeting they work - not to mention a stonking great free lunch.

You would never know K !!!

One thing I really did not think was fair was the approach illustrated by the televised enquiry into the Nassau . Queally and Soumillon were asked for their opinions but it was not put to Queally that they considered that his riding might be careless to give him a chance to respond to a specific charge . That does not strike me as fair .

On current form - I would suggest Dettori,Moore and Lemaire could be rated above Hughes but not the other three.

Back