British Flat Jockeys Title

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
With the lead down to three as expected racing is getting some coverage . They had Fahey and Hannon jnr on Radio 4 sports news this morning . It was the second item straight after the football and then the first item on the 8.25 bulletin .

2/7 Hanagan 11/4 Richard Hughes

RICHARD HUGHES TO MISS BREEDERS' CUP By Neil Morrice, Press Association Sport, Kentucky

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news Richard Hughes will not compete in this weekend's Breeders' Cup.
The title-chasing rider will instead remain in Britain as he looks to claw back Paul Hanagan's lead at the summit of the jockeys' championship.
The biggest ride Hughes will relinquish at Churchill Downs is Paco Boy, who runs against Goldikova in the Breeders' Cup Mile on Saturday.
The two-time Group One winner, who will break from gate six in the 11-runner field, will instead be ridden by Ryan Moore.
"It's a shame for Hughesie but it's a lovely spare to get," said Moore.
Goldikova has been drawn in stall 10 as the wondermare looks to win the race for a third time.
Hughes is currently three winners adrift of Hanagan, with four days of the season remaining.
The former is, however, unable to ride on Friday as he has reached his quota of nine fixtures for a week.

Looking at Saturday's card - he will struggle for winning rides . What price if he is 4 or 5 down on Thursday he changes his mind ?

Presumabley Hanagan has decided to swerve Nottingham tomorrow in favour of riding on Friday?

I think 11/4 about Hughes is too big, though the fact he is missing the Breeders Cup doesn't really increase my enthusiasm. Already missing Friday he will now rely on some difficult racing on Saturday to clinch the title.

Looking at their book of rides for the rest of the week (so far) I'd expect Hughes to be ahead by Thursday evening, 1 or maybe 2. Hanagan has Friday to himself, though am not sure if it's 1 or 2 meetings he can ride at. Difficult to say without knowing his rides, but with Doncaster on Saturday looking a difficult place to ride winners, I'd say he has a task on to ride 3 winners on Friday to put himself back in front.

Both major stables behind the 2, Hannon & Fahey, don't seem to be in great form, but Hughes seems to have less reliance on Hannon than Hanagan does on Fahey over the next few days and at 11/4 I think Richard Hughes is a bet.

Agree, I am on Hughes since he got his ban (when I thought there was a big overreaction) and think he has a right chance. The 2 Godolphin maiden runners should go close, and his other 2 rides at Nottingham aren't without a chance. He needs to have inroads made by the time he arrives at Kempton to have a chance.

I was thinking there was definitely 1 winner in his first 3 rides but not even a place. Up against it now.

Not winning on the last minute spare in the 2.20 was a blow, but I think his best chance of the Notts card come in the last 3, as long as there's a winner in those 3 I think he's still on track, another this evening and a blank for Hanagan and it's all on.

After today, how many meetings can/will each ride at?

Both ride at Lingfield and Kempton on Thurs
Hughes has to sit out Fri but Hanagan rides at both Flat meetings
Saturday they will both ride at Doncaster

If Hughes is behind after the 8.00 on Thursday night, if I was him I'd be trying to get back on Paco Boy.

Last edited:
I see Hanagan has a pretty much full book at Southwell & Wolves on Friday, but alot come from the under-performing Fahey yard and a fair number of 'better than nothing' mounts I'd say. If Hughes can get 2 ahead by close of play tomorrow, I think he'll be in front going into Saturday, big if though, probably 6 winners needed between now and end of play tomorrow.

Not winning on the last minute spare in the 2.20 was a blow, but I think his best chance of the Notts card come in the last 3, as long as there's a winner in those 3 I think he's still on track, another this evening and a blank for Hanagan and it's all on.

1 in the bag and still a good chance in the last, game on!

Last edited:
1/3 Hanagan 9/4 Richard Hughes

From the RP

5:07pm

Hughes grounded!

Richard Hughes's helicopter has been grounded, and the word is that he won't get here until the 7.05 at least, missing the first three of his rides. What a blow!

Last edited:
This is a real cliffhanger, isn't it? Really fascinating stuff. They've ridden their little arses off, literally day and night, for this. Must be exhausting on so many levels, bless them. Just wish there was much more of a big-up to it, as there is for tennis and F1 championships - I mean, come on, in the latter, half the time you've got your team mate letting you go past to win, anyway!

Would I be right in thinking Hughes didn't make it to Kempton and does that make him elegible to ride on Friday.

From Sporting Life:

"And it does mean Hughes can now ride at Southwell or Wolverhampton on Friday, as he won't have used up his quota of nine meetings in a week."

Excellent news.

Back