Buying A Successful Broodmare

SPONTANO has a beautiful, refined head, Cat - and I see you're having sunny, early Spring weather as we are here. Thanks for sharing the happy pictures. BELLE is looking great.

I have a confession to make...... :shy:

I now have a third broodmare. Well, I am a woman, and I had a budget which I had got no where near so I thought it made sense, as it is a business to make sure I give myself a good start. I have a few ideas for the "business" that I may need some input/advice from people on this forum, but I thought I would wait until after Cheltenham.

My latest purchase is called Katy-Q and she will (hopefully) be sent to Phoenix Reach in the next 2-3 weeks.

Kathy and I will be meeting up in the Poor House in 2010..... :P

CALYPSO LADY has just demonstrated that nature has the last word when it comes to foetus viability... She's just returned in season after scanning i/f - when they scanned her last week the embryo looked a little misshapen and, sure enough, she's sensibly dumped it. She'll be covered again tomorrow, which is great , as it's nice and early still and she's obviously cycling properly.

Good news to is that BARRANTES and SONGSHEET have both been covered now and that also OCEANICO DOT COM has at last decided to play too and she's being covered tomorrow as well, so March 13th had better me a lucky day for me!

While they may well not 'take', you can't get mares in foal if they aren't covered, so we're at least progressing in the right direction!!

Originally posted by Songsheet@Mar 12 2007, 06:04 PM
Kathy and I will be meeting up in the Poor House in 2010..... :P

I may be there long before you, Songsheet. At least you know what you are doing! :shy:

She's bluffed her way pretty well up to now, Kathy, I can tell you! :D I'm completely convinced by anything she tells me!

She will be charging me consultation fees soon... and so she should! :D

I would have been far more nervous getting involved if I didn't have so many helpful people (many from this forum) offering advice etc.

A slight diversion from Cheltenham..... :P

I took my OH to The National Stud in Newmarket today so that he can see first hand where all our hard earned money is disappearing to. It was a lovely day and as always the staff were absolutely fantastic. Here are a few that I took.

HOPEFULLY, A PREGNANT ART SERIES BEING LED IN FROM THE FIELD

KATHYANDYWITHMILESARTPHOENIXLUCK-11.jpg

ART SERIES GETTING A TICKLE FROM HER MUM!

KATHYANDYWITHMILESARTPHOENIXLUCK-9.jpg

ONE OF THE FEW PHOTOS OF ART WITH HER EARS PRICKED!

KATHYANDYWITHMILESARTPHOENIXLUCK-8.jpg

MILES THE PROUD AND VERY LOVING MUM!

KATHYANDYWITHMILESARTPHOENIXLUCK-7.jpg

CHEEKY CHAPPY - CALLED BASIL TO SOME AND LUCKY TO OTHERS! :rolleyes:

KATHYANDYWITHMILESARTPHOENIXLUCK-5.jpg

MILES AND LUCKY BASIL ENJOYING THE SPRING SUNSHINE!

KATHYANDYWITHMILESARTPHOENIXLUCK-4.jpg

KATHYANDYWITHMILESARTPHOENIXLUCK-3.jpg

KATHYANDYWITHMILESARTPHOENIXLUCK-2.jpg

My OH took some fantastic photos today, so I am just waiting for him to download them, and then I will post some more as long as you are not finding them too boring. :shy:

Just a few more....

Look at those ears... he looks like a mule! :what:

DSC01442.jpg

Getting up close with Mum. He is a confident a little chap!

DSC01410-1.jpg

A more artistic shot that Lucky was apparently not too happy with given his response.

DSC01497.jpg

DSC01486.jpg

Dear wee soul, Kathy - when he pricks his ears, they're pretty alert, though! He looks like he's enjoying the sunshine and Mummy Miles looks pretty blissed out, too. Best of luck with ART SERIES - I guess you'll know in a couple of weeks?

Originally posted by krizon@Mar 15 2007, 11:26 PM
Best of luck with ART SERIES - I guess you'll know in a couple of weeks?

Next week, Krizon. Phoenix Reach has had two that I know of definitely scanned in foal so far, so fingers crossed Art comes up trumps next week too.

Originally posted by Galileo@Nov 29 2006, 07:51 PM
Halland Park Lass is a good example of a non-winning daughter of a black type mare turning out ok as a broodmare.

She's off to visit Goregous George...
I wonder if she's one of the mares going to be covered by Holy Roman Emperer now?

Well, gives Phoenix some more practice .... :nuts:

At moment there is no real pressure, as you are well in with the time, I suppose.
Good Luck.

Btw - Bukett will travel over on the 29th (if her EVA Test etc is ok.) , so next time you go and visit Art & Co. you must have a look at her as well. I will be in Newmarket for the Craven-Meeting (the whole week) so will go and see her then. See whether we find time to meet up.

Great pics Kathy and what a super sunny day you had too!

The Deportivo pic is not just for Fudge - remember me - we have a filly by him we are keeping to race. He looks handsome indeed.

Also good pics from Crazy, missed these as I was away from home, and a PC for the Cheltenham Festival. Sponti looks fab. Will miss him too, but he will have a good home where he is given more attention. Think he will enjoy having a family of his own.

Back