Buying A Successful Broodmare

Thanks, Griffin. Yes, it is good news. :) Appears all is OK at the moment, and will re scan again at about 24 days!

Well, it's so definitely not my year... OCEANICO is not playing and has just scanned negative again... aagghhh... She's putting up two good follicles this time, though, and I've asked them to cross cover her, as the horse is covering so any mares, he's going to come up with some blanks every so often.

At least there doens't appear to be anything obviously wrong with the mare, other than she's unlucky enough to be owned by me !

How common is it for just-off-the-track mares to not fall with their first mating, Songy? Do they need extra time to kind of relax, of is that not necessary?

That she didn't get i/f first covering was not at all surprising - she was fully clipped out, early in the season, she was pretty fit - all reasons against. The fact that she's missed second go is a bit more concerning but, again, the horse is covering full out and it could just be she's a bit awkward and needs covering at a different time

Fingers crossed it is just a temporary blip, Songsheet. Andrew Christou had to have 3 coverings for one of his favourite mares, but fingers crossed it looks like she is i/f now.

Originally posted by krizon@Apr 16 2007, 09:04 PM
How common is it for just-off-the-track mares to not fall with their first mating, Songy? Do they need extra time to kind of relax, of is that not necessary?
Soviet Song has been scanned not in foal to Montjeu after her second covering. It's a shame as she seemed to let down so well.. but as I mentioned earlier her half-sister Bralinka didn't get in foal first time either, maybe it's going to be a family trait. Meanwhile they are having a third go. Does anyone know who successful third attemts are? - in my very limited experience, not very... I'd be interested in any stats tho

I don't know the stats, Headstrong but if you think about it, both SOVIET SONG and the little mare I bought have only had a couple of months on 'easy time', which really isn't that long. The weather, up until the beginning of this month, was lousy and they would both have been pretty fit - was S S clipped out?

With a bit of luck, third time may well be lucky for both of them - let's hope so!

It took SONGSHEET a cuple of months before she got in foal first time to MAGIC RING - she was in training, let down, buggered about quite a bit and then managed to get i/f in April too.

I spoke to Paul Thorman about it last night and he has THREE maiden mares all not i/f either, so it's probably just one of those shite years.

Congrats re KATY-Q, Kathy - everything crossed for her. I should just be grateful SONGSHEET's i/f on an early cover to DIAMOND GREEN - in fact, she'll be home soon, as will CALYPSO LADY. EGYPTIAN LORD is running very well for her this year, I am pleased to say - so that's a bonus.

Some better news! BARRANTES scanned in foal 15 days today, so I hope she holds and that the luck is on the turn for the better! Two still to go - OCEANICO (haven't heard if she's been covered yet or not) and RUNS IN THE FAMILY. RITF and foal set off for AVONBRIDGE on Saturday morning, both looking rather good.... The foal's going to be in for a shock, though, as she won't have felt rain on her back yet !

Yes, spring has sprung and ity's great to get everyone's more positve news on the breeding front. Good luck all

More good news... MILES is now in foal too, :clap: so that's all 3 mares i/f now.

Obviously, a long way to go but the fact they are in foal is good news and is great for Phoenix's fertility rate which seems to be around 95%.

Well done, PHOENIX REACH! Are you going to sell all the foals, Kathy, or are you going to be tempted into keeping one to race for yourself?

Just wondered if any of you read the recent article in the Post about how a January foal is maybe not as important as we have all been led (by buyers and sales houses) to believe? It was really interesting and said that in fact March was probably the optimum month for a foal to be born.

I certainly agree with this as of course the whole cycle we push mares into is totally against nature anyway, and you often see mares trying to hang onto their foals to give them a better start with warmer weather, longer days and better grass for them and the foals. For a long time I have looked at the birthdates of Group winners. Of course it can mean that as a 2 year old the horse is a little behind the curve of some of his peers, as was Nayef, but I noticed that those born later seem to catch up and even excel in later years. Some that come to mind are mostly better performers as older horses, Celeric the Ascpt Gold Cup winner, born late April, Alcazar who won a Group 1 at the age of 10, foaled in May, Nayef foaled in May, Act One, Persian Punch, and Manduro faoled in April, Ouija Board and George Washington in March. George is one who was not inconvenienced at two.

Also interesting to note that both Northern Dancer and Sadler's Wells were foaled on January 1st. As their births were so long ago I suspect that they were born during a time of great intervention in the reproduction cycles of racehorses. But I guess we will never know whether their very early birthdates helped them to mature into the history making horses they both became.

To me it looks like a lot of buyers would still be put off by a late foal date as they want to get their money worth out of the horse at 2, but there are more informed owners too (like me) who would rather keep the horse going in later years than wear it out as a youngster.

Anything to add from your own experiences?

Originally posted by Isinglass@Apr 25 2007, 12:30 PM
Also interesting to note that both Northern Dancer and Sadler's Wells were foaled on January 1st.
Hmmm... we have a saying re calves that they get 'lost in the grass' - ie, when you register one with a later birthday than actually was the case !

Wherever you got those dates have probably defaulted to Jan 1 because they haven't got the actual date. Northern Dancer was foaled on May 27th - he wasn't actually yet 3 when he won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

Thanks Gareth, I did wonder if those dates were correct, as such an odd coincidence. I got them from the Racing Post and know that sometimes their dates default.

This makes it even more interesting considering what you say.

Originally posted by krizon@Apr 25 2007, 11:07 AM
Well done, PHOENIX REACH! Are you going to sell all the foals, Kathy, or are you going to be tempted into keeping one to race for yourself?
I am obviously keeping an open mind, Krizon although I am airing towards keeping at least one!

Yipee! Some luck at last. We have the sister to Desert Dew on the stud who just won at Sandown. Last year he was unlucky and everyone thought he needed soft ground as he is by Indian Creek out of a Bering mare, but guess not as he romped home on the ground today. Trainer has told us they think he is Listed at least if not Group material, will be interesting to see where he goes next.

His sister was due to go to Indian Creek for covering but he sadly died just before. So, she went to Galileo, and this is the foal who was lost in foaling. At least she now has a bit more paddock value.

Must get my act together and post piccies of the foals as all are now jumping around and enjoying the sun. And of course broodmares so happy to be rid of their bellies! All we need now is some rain to make sure the paddocks are safe for them.

Michael Hills was of the opinion that the ground was on the soft side of good today???

Plenty of water has been put down and they have certainly been making a print.

Really ? I was basing the ground on my garden just up the road, but then I have not been watering. :D

Anyway, your eyes are much better than mine if you can see a print. But I do not doubt you!

Back