Buying A Successful Broodmare

Convert the 4.6m guineas into pounds (x1.05) and then into dollars at the current exchange rate (x1.95) = $9.4m

No luck here - not even close - it really seems to be a sellers market at the moment and I cant imagine how some people think they will make the money back on some of these mares....

ho hum.... :angry:

"...two of them have these "programmes" which rates the mares to give me an indication of whether I am looking at totally the wrong type of mare."

Kathy, please believe me, these programs will do no such thing.

Since you have chosen a first season sire, I presume you are breeding to sell rather than to race?

tdk - tomorrow is regarded as the 'cheap' day - although the way things have gone the past week or so, I wouldn't bet on it.

For those that like stories of a good 'touch' my partner in a couple of mares, Paul Thorman, bought HALLAND PARK LASS last year i/f to KYLLACHY for £12K.

The foal (a filly) sold for 280,000 gns on Saturday and the mare sold for 720,000 this afternoon. There were three partners in that particular purchase and I would imgine the are very happy bunnies tonight!

Paul's been loooking for a mare for us and has strict orders that only another HPL will do!

Halland Park Lass is a good example of a non-winning daughter of a black type mare turning out ok as a broodmare.

I don't know what her conformation is like. The fact that her 4th dam is an Irish Oaks winner (and 2nd in the The Oaks) makes her all the more attractive. At 12000 and t/i/f to Kyllachy, that was a shrewd punt - well done that man!

What a result, Songsheet. Many people can only ever dream of that type of turnaround.

Originally posted by Venusian@Nov 29 2006, 06:31 PM
"...two of them have these "programmes" which rates the mares to give me an indication of whether I am looking at totally the wrong type of mare."

Kathy, please believe me, these programs will do no such thing.

Since you have chosen a first season sire, I presume you are breeding to sell rather than to race?
OK Venusian, perhaps the programmes are a load of doggies danglies. I can't argue as I know absolutely nothing about them. I know that something has thrown up certain preferred bloodlines - the ideal distance, probably the preferred number of legs, and how many white socks etc. :what: :)

Anyway, I had the most fantastic day going around today looking at the various lots we are interested in that at the sales tomorrow. Today was just a look around at the mares we had shortlisted, pulling them out of their boxes, enjoying a lovely lunch and then more viewing. What a fantastic place to be today on a bright, sunny Novembers day.

We went off to look at one mare and we followed Lester Piggott - but thankfully, he was off to look at a different mare than we were. :D

Just for purely educational purposes, today was absolutely brilliant. I am off up again to Newmarket tomorrow to see how much our chosen mares go for. We will certainly be bidding for a couple as we have earmarked 8 possible mares (some i/f) but we only probably need one as I already have my eye on one somewhere else.

By the sounds of it Kathy and her partners are looking to buy mares with which to support "her" stallion, to help him get off to a decent start, and in doing so they are merely doing the same as some fairly successful stallion owners...look at the way Juddmonte and Cheveley Park support their own stallions with their own mares, for instance; see also Tweenhills, who are very active traders of mares for, and in foal to, their stallions. So, good luck to you, and I hope you manage to buy some nice mares! (As long as you're not after the ones we've earmarked for tomorrow! :D )
Thought there were some reasonably priced mares about today - better than yesterday when some mares with very little on the page went for serious money. The group I'm vaguely involved with bought two today and came home very pleased with their purchases.

Vixen, yes you are right, I really want to support Phoenix Reach, and will make no decision about any potential foal until a much later date. I would love to have a Phoenix foal but as I am such a sentimental fool, I would probably keep it however good or bad it turned out to be.

We met with The National Stud today who are thrilled with how Phoenix is progressing. He is beginning to fill out and evidently has a very good idea already of what is expected of him. :)

It would be fantastic to get 50 covers in his first year, although I know this is a tall order for what may be termed as an unfashionable stallion. I know of at least 12 definite covers already, and this is excluding any from TNS.

Vixen, I am not sure which ones you have earmarked for tomorrow but I hope your bids are successful tomorrow. I have someone bidding on my behalf which is just as well, as I am bound to make a pigsear of it.

Kathy, so it's Phoenix Reach you've got lined up.

He stands at a low fee considering what he achieved on the racecourse, although there are soundness issues with him. Otherwise, a most admirable performer. I hope you buy a mare that proved herself sound on the racecourse, at least it'll give you some confidence about the offspring actually making it to the track.

You're right about him not being the most fashionable first season sire around, but fortunately his genes don't know that!

The only thing that we can know for certain about his prospects as a sire is that he is a non-true-breeding bay, otherwise it's a lap of the gods job.

Thanks, Venusian.

Phoenix had time away from the track due to a really badly infected eye (where he nearly lost his sight) and a couple of bad knocks (one during the King George at Newbury) during racing that put him off of the track for varying amounts of time. He is an absolutely stunning looking horse and has a fantastic temperament.

It is an excellent starting cover fee, which, I hope, will increase as soon as his progeny start reaching the racetrack and hopefully, winning!

He may even shuttle at some stage as Phoenix is well known worldwide due to the majority of his Classic wins being overseas.

It's certainly an exciting time for his connections.

Interesting to see how the average prices are comparing to last year

Average Prices

Day 1: 51.8k (2005) 94.5k (2006) +82%

Day 2: 91.1k (2005) 135.5k (2006) +49%

Day 3: 52.5k (2005) 65.9k (2006) +26%

Admittedly the 2006 averages have been pushed up a bit by the two "big" purchases, but even so - people seem to be spending far more on mares at a time when Prize money is under pressure....

Quite shocking, TDK. Those percentages do not bode well for me today, BUT if we cannot buy anything within our budget, then it maybe off to France or Ireland instead. B)

Songsheet and I were saying this a.m. how bonkers the prices had gone at this sale, so very best of luck, Kathy.

It's overseas money that is driving the price hikes at Tatt's sales. Happened to be there on Wenesday and the talk was about how much the Irish buyers, in particular, were spending.

richard

Anyone can go to the sales, Helen - you don't have to be a buyer or seller and just go to the sales desk at Tattersalls and you should get a free catalog!

Loads to see and you can go and ask any of the vendors to pull a mare out for you to look at - they won't have a clue whether or not you're a serious buyer!

Anyone, yes, and you can go to the office and get a catalogue. It's a great day out - all the bars and restaurants are buzzing, and it's very educational as well as a bit emotional - and very social

Just arrived back :blink:

Well another fantastic day at the sales. First we were going, then we weren't because the mares we were interested were not going through until after 4pm - then it all changed as Winterbeck Manor Stud bought one early, and then bought one for me and my friend soon after by 10am. We then decided to buy a second one so we drove to Newmarket and got there about 3.30pm. We had Lord William Huntingdon (I love a quick name drop before anyone points it out) assisting us with the buying and what an absolute gent he is. He knew I know very little about the breeding side of racing, but he was extremely patient with me and I have learnt an awful lot about what to look for - within a certain budget - when looking for a correct mare. He was brilliant.

We didn't get any of the mares we had originally shortlisted yesterday BUT we have a mare that has been covered by, and is in foal to......wait for it ....LUCKY OWNERS! (I need Steve Miller and Grand Armee to help me out with some background on this stallion if they don't mind please)

We are the happy owners of two mares and one foal for a grand total of approx £5000.00 so I don't think we did too bad, did we! :)

It's such a great atmosphere, and there is a real buzz around the place! I have to admit of having caused a bit of a scene in the sales ring when our last bid of 1000 (guineas) was successful for the lovely little 3yo mare and there were hugs all round followed by a quick trip to the bar to celebrate! :D

A memorable day. I have only a couple of photos of one of the mares, but they haven't come out too well as she was in her box and I didn't want to scare her with the flash. There will be more to follow.

Thanks to William we also have a place to board the mares in Newmarket too - which is great bearing in mind where Phoenix resides.

I know there could be some rocky roads ahead, but for this sort of money spent, I will not be too out of pocket if it all goes drastically wrong.

We spent about an hour loading the mares onto a box and they are now safely on their way to a new home. Luckily, apart from one mare, they all loaded from the ground up a ramp without a major problem.

I now need a stiff drink and a quick read up to enable me to take in exactly what happened today! :nerd:

Back