Buying A Successful Broodmare

Kathy - get yer own pet name, pet - I already did 'Dotty' further up the topic! :D I like 'Dotty', really - there's not a lot you can do with 'Oceanic' unless it's something like 'breezy' or 'sandy' or 'oilslick'...

Water off a duck's back, Colin, water off a duck's back. Shame you're now banned for life from Brighton, Lingfield, Fontwell, Plumpton, Folkestone...

Originally posted by krizon@Feb 2 2007, 12:48 AM
Kathy - get yer own pet name, pet - I already did 'Dotty' further up the topic! :D
:shy:

Great minds and all that, Krizon.

Oceanic, conjurs up names like:

sea slug, pearl, marina, fish face :what: , Aeriel (from the Disney film, the Little Mermaid) or Ursula the Sea Witch from the same movie or Jules as in Verne as in 20,000 Leagues under the Sea :)

There's a few more to get pondering about! :D

For anyone who didn't see the write up on Songsheet's purchase at Doncaster, here it is. I hope Songsheet doesn't mind me posting it.

Oceanic Dot Com tops penultimate day at Doncaster January Sale
by Edward Prosser

Courtesy of The Racing Post

WEDNESDAY’S penultimate installment of the January Sale is unlikely to rank as one of the epic events in Doncaster's 2007 calendar after four and a half hours' trade that saw just two lots change hands for five figures.

Trickledown Stud's owner Paul Thorman topped the sale with an outlay of just13,500gns when seeing off John Osborne to get Oceanic Dot Com, a five-year-old who scored twice as a juvenile for trainer Alan Berry and is a half-sister to the American stakes-placed colt Ten Downing Street.

Thorman was buying for Julie Turner, who trades as Bishopswood Bloodstock and sold a Bahamian Bounty colt foal for 70,000gns at Tattersalls last year.

"She was a bit small but very correct and I thought an ideal mate for
Proclamation, which is who she is going to," said Thorman. "Julie Turner's had some luck with good sprint racemares and I was delighted to see John Osborne as underbidder as he's a far better judge than I am!"

Miles and Art Series are off to The National Stud tomorrow and Brendan Powell is sending two mares up as well to be covered by Phoenix.

Phoenix Reach parades at 10am at Newmarket so looks like an early start for me if the weather forecasts are correct. :blink:

I am thinking of taking my credit card to the Sales as there may be a few bargains about.

Does anyone know much about the stallion, Zafeen?

Zafeen is a Darley Sire

Zafonic - Shy Lady, won Mill Reef and St. James Palace, 2nd. in Prix Morny, first season at Stud 2006

we thought he would be top-class as a racehorse, but as so often did not stay sound.

lovely horse, stands where proclamation is, con´t think of name of stud at moment . is it overbury stud?!

Thanks for the replies.

I may have to go tomorrow a miss if the weather is as bad as the current forecast. I will set my alarm clock for 0530hrs and then make a decision from there.

An interesting article in The Racing Post today, including a bit about Phoenix Reach. :) Some of these stallions were parading at Newarket this morning.

Northern Dancer sire line

by Rachel Pagones, Amy Bennett and Nancy Sexton

**Night Shift
Deportivo
**Danzig
Ishiguru
**Nureyev
Polar Falcon
Pivotal
Needwood Blade
**Unfuwain
Alhaarth
Phoenix Reach
**Fairy King
Makbul
Striking Ambition
**Nijinsky
Royal Academy
Val Royal

THE longest serving stallion currently standing in Britain or Ireland, Night Shift has consistently sired top-flight performers. Although most recently he made headlines as the sire of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes winner Azamour, and earlier sired the star middle-distance filly In The Groove, he is more generally known as a source of speed. Among his best sprinters were the Nunthorpe Stakes winner Lochangel and Eveningperformance, who missed out by a short head in that race to Pivotal.

Another of Night Shift’s high-class sprinters was Deportivo, winner of the Group 2 Flying Five Stakes at the Curragh.

Deportivo is one of only a handful of stallions by Night Shift in Europe, the most prominent among them being Azamour, who has his first foals on the ground this season.

In spite of Deportivo’s speed and precocity – he won three of four starts as a juvenile – there is a good dose ofmiddle-distance talent in his family. His dam, the maiden Valencia, is a half-sister to multiple Grade 1 turf winner Wandesta and to three other stakes winners over distances from 1m4f to 1m7f. Deportivo’s first crop are now yearlings.

Ishiguru, winner of the Group 3 Flying Five Stakes at Leopardstown, joins a long line of Group-winning sire sons of the late, great Danzig. Danehill and his many talented offspring have ensured that Danzig’s line earns regular global headlines, while sons such as Anabaa, Bertolini, Chief ’s Crown, and Green Desert have added to the rich stream of winners.

Ishiguru has a similar profile to that of Mull Of Kintyre, Danzig’s son who sired the Irish 2,000 Guineas winner Araafa: he is a high-class sprinter from an excellent US family, whose progeny were smart at two and open to improvement at three. He has already sired a Group 2 winner – Hellvelyn, who landed the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot.

Hellvelyn later finished second to Holy Roman Emperor in the Group 1 Phoenix Stakes. Also among Ishiguru’s first crop is Ferneley, who was twice placed in Group races, including when third behind Teofilo in the Group 2 Futurity Stakes.

Needwood Blade is the third son of Pivotal to enter stud, following Kyllachy and Captain Rio. They represent the Nureyev branch of Northern Dancer via Pivotal’s sire Polar Falcon.

With the exception of Peintre Celebre and Theatrical, the sons of Nureyev to have sired top-class winners all scored over no further than a mile, namely Fasliyev, Polar Falcon, Soviet Star, and Stravinsky.

Needwood Blade’s greatest winning distance was 7f, until he moved to California and notched a 9f Grade 3 victory on his final start.

Pivotal’s initial fee was £6,000, while Kyllachy firststood for £7,000, and Captain Rio £5,000. With the Listed winners Sadeek and Blue Echo, along with Coventry-placed Tariq, Kyllachy has proved capable of siring precocious speedsters. Captain Rio’s first yearling crop proved popular at last year’s sales, selling for up to 300,000gns. Needwood Blade has his first yearlings this season, and breeders who took advantage of his £3,000 price tag must be hopeful of a good return on their investment after his nine foals sold last year achieved an average of 24,651gns.

The National Stud’s globetrotting new sire Phoenix Reach represents the Unfuwain branch of the Northern Dancer tree via the outstanding juvenile Alhaarth.

Unfuwain’s line has gone quiet in recent years, with Alhaarth much his best stallion son. Now there are three active chances, all through Alhaarth, of the line regaining some fizz. The 2,000 Guineas winner Haafhd has his first yearlings this year, while Phoenix Reach and Bandari both take up stud duties this month.

Alhaarth was unbeaten in five starts at two, culminating in the Group 1 Dewhurst Stakes. He has since sired top-flight winners over a variety of distances, including the high-class sprinter Dominica.

Phoenix Reach notched up all three of his Group 1 triumphs over 1m4f, and showed marked improvement with age, as did Bandari. His future progeny are likely to progress with age and excel over middle distances, if they are anything like him.

Striking Ambition's sire Makbul, by Fairy King, has proved a good, consistent source of juvenile winners without ever hitting the commercial heights.

The best son of Fairy King at stud is the wildly successful Australian sire Encosta de Lago. However, most of Fairy King’s sire sons, including Beckett, Helissio, and Second Empire, have enjoyed more modest success. Another son, Revoque is proving a useful dual-purpose sire, while the multiple Group 1 winner Falbrav still awaits his first runners.

A Listed sprint winner at two, three, and four, Striking Ambition claimed the title of Makbul’s best performer when landing a Group 2 sprint in Germany, a Group 3 in France, and finished a close second to Avonbridge in the Group 1 Prix de l’Abbaye. In all he won nine of 22 starts.

From a family of out-and-out sprinters, Striking Ambition is likely to continue in that vein, and his fee of £3,000 gives breeders a good opportunity to tap into a line of proven juvenile performers.

Val Royal is new to the National Stud this season, having begun his career in Ireland. A high-class performer at up to 1m2f in France and the US, his best performance came when emulating his sire’s victory in the Breeders’ Cup Mile.

Royal Academy, who stands in Kentucky and Australia, has been a remarkably consistent sire, with Graded stake winner Folkine and the outstanding Hong Kong sprinter Bullish Luck his best performers last year.

Royal Academy’s other two stallion sons in Britain and Ireland both favoured longer trips than Val Royal, with Oscar Schindler – now proving a smart sire of jumpers – twice winning the Irish St Leger and Putra Sandhurst successful over 1m4f.

Retired to stud in 2003, Val Royal has his first three-year-olds this year. His first two-year-olds included the smartCockney Rebel, who ran a very close third behind Vital Equine in the Group 2 Champagne Stakes, having previously been second in the valuable St Leger Yearling Stakes sales race. Given Val Royal’s progressive racing profile, his progeny may well show a marked improvement with

Thank you.

I was hoping to have seen him close up EP, as he was due to parade at Newmarket this morning. That's Zafeen, not necessarily, Simon, although he could well have been parading too.

I had a quick flick through that RP article today, spot the howler in the Grey Sovereign sireline section. Grey Sovereign, one the most important European stallions in the last 50 years, is described as a homozygous/true-breeding grey.

Where do they get these writers from?

Originally posted by Etta Place@Feb 8 2007, 01:57 PM
Zafeen stands at Overbury in Gloucestershire. Very nice man Simon in charge.
I've only spoken to Simon once - last week when he phoned me directly to let me know my new purchase had arrived safe and sound and he seemed a most pleasant and efficient bloke.

I'm hoping for a much better experience in sending a mare to a Sweeting than when I sent one to his father's Conduit Stud many years ago.

'Customer', 'Welfare' & ' Polite' are not three words that would feature in any descriptive sentence about that debacle.

Originally posted by Songsheet+Feb 8 2007, 03:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Songsheet @ Feb 8 2007, 03:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Etta Place@Feb 8 2007, 01:57 PM
Zafeen stands at Overbury in Gloucestershire. Very nice man Simon in charge.
I've only spoken to Simon once - last week when he phoned me directly to let me know my new purchase had arrived safe and sound and he seemed a most pleasant and efficient bloke.

I'm hoping for a much better experience in sending a mare to a Sweeting than when I sent one to his father's Conduit Stud many years ago.

'Customer', 'Welfare' & ' Polite' are not three words that would feature in any descriptive sentence about that debacle.[/b][/quote]
I never had to deal with the Dad but had heard similar reports. Simon is not like that at all. A bit nervy type when you meet him, but a really nice guy. Will help in anyway he can and having been there when a foal had gone down in a paddock, an extremely genuinely caring person too. (The foal was okay eventually - seemed it had headbutted a fence pole and came off worse - bless)

Miles and Art Series are now resident at The National Stud. I am planning to go and see them both soon. We have had also had a sudden rush of interest in Phoenix Reach, so let's hope as the covering "officially" starts today, Phoenix Reach has plenty of new girlfriends due to visit him. :wub:

Go get 'em, Phoenix..... :)

Did anyone attend the stalliion parade? I'd like a photo of Deportivo if anyone took one. Just for personal use, have a yearling by him and want to show partners her sire.

Like Kathy I set the alarm, got up early, thinking I might go to Newmarket.

Looked at crap weather, and then remembered, oh shite, I have to work for a living anyway, so still went out in the storm! But not to Newmarket.

Fudge used to look after Deportivo and has a foal by him I think - he is bound to have plenty of pics - I think he lent some to the National Stud for publicity shots initially.

I had a great visit to The National Stud today. All of the staff are very proffessional, extremely helpful and were happy to answer any questions.
The weather was glorious too, which made for an excellent day out.

One of my favourite pictures of Phoenix taken today. He is absolutely gorgeous. He did his first cover yesterday, and evidently was a true proffessional. Whilst he was being led round, he kept looking into the covering unit, half expecting his next girlfriend to be there waiting for him. He's such a tart! :D

PHOENIXREACHARTSERIESANDMILESATN-8.jpg

Miles i/f to Lucky Owners due in about 4 weeks
PHOENIXREACHARTSERIESANDMILESATN-7.jpg

Miles' hoof is so much better now. Still needs looking after but with some TLC it is great to see such a great improvement since November.
PHOENIXREACHARTSERIESANDMILESATN-6.jpg

Art Series and her Mum. AS is so relaxed and has settled in so well to her new surroundings. She could be covered within the next few weeks.
PHOENIXREACHARTSERIESANDMILESATN-5.jpg

Back