Buying A Successful Broodmare

Just been looking through the Doncaster January Sale catalogue, and Miles' 2006 foal by Lucky Owners is in there - Lot 341.

Brilliant. All the details are online. I have also seen that Phoenix Reach will be in the Stallion Parade too.

Thanks again, Vixen.

As Phoenix will be parading the same day ie. 31st Janaury as Miles' colt goes through the ring, I am now planning to have a day out at Doncaster Sales.

Just to update you on the two mares!

Art Series is a real "character" and has recently taken to eating her door - even though it has been covered in mustard :blink: She is hopefully due to be covered around the 15th February and is already under the lights to prepare her. She has made friends with a lovely mare called Generosia, another one due to be covered by Phoenix, so lots of girly chats going on over the stable door no doubt.

Miles is under the lights too and is evidently looking really well and is being prepared for a (hopefully) stressless birth.

I'd be very wary of getting too stuck into a family with poor hooves Kathy. Can you find out if Miles has always had this problem?

Kalinka, dam of Soviet Song, has terrible feet and Maurice Camacho is always thinkig up things to help her. Several of her progeny have followed suit, inc Soviet Song, so it's important to research the sires for any evidence of hoof problems if you can. I think Penzance has been the only one with really good big strong ones. If you ever get a chance to talk to Maurice about this, or anything else to do with breeding, take it! He's fascinating, and highly experienced. I expect he'd be at Doncaster sales, he's very friendly with the Beeby's setup

Lovely pics, do so hope they do you proud.

Not sure if bad feet runs in her family, HS but the farrier is definitely not overly concerned. She has been on a course of vitamins etc and special oils and her hooves have improved immensely in such a short time.

OK, I am not getting overly excited but for anyone interested a Lucky Owner's Colt was sold at the Magic Millions sale in Australia on Friday to run in Hong Kong. Obviously, this is where Lucky Owners was a real star. I have no problem on selling our colt (hoping we get a nice healthy foal, whatever the sex) to run in HK if we can make this sort of money! :D

OK, I can dream!!

It is going to be quite interesting to see how much the colt sells for in Doncaster on the 31st Jan. I am guessing at about £800! :nerd:

Try a different link The other one isn't working :blink:

The link doesn't work so here is the article copied from Breednet.com..au

$360,000 Lucky Owners colt to Hong Kong
Breednet - Friday, January 12, 2007

Gold Coast, January 12 - It’s only to be expected that Lucky Owners would be popular with Hong Kong buyers and that was certainly the case when Hong Kong based George Moore Bloodstock paid $360,000 for a Lucky Owners yearling at the Magic Millions Sale.
Offered by Cambridge Stud NZ, the colt was out of Sudden Smile, a mare that won five races on Sydney tracks trained by Gai Waterhouse.
Sudden Smile is a full sister to the stakes placed winner of five races Say Good Morning and a half-sister to stakes placed winner Life Is Beautiful.
Lucky Owners retired to Widden Stud having being crowned Hong Kong’s champion miler in 2004 with wins in the Gr 1 Hong Kong Mile and two starts later the Gr 1 Hong Kong Derby.
The colt was just the second yearling offered at the sale by Lucky Owners with the first, a filly from Molly Singer, being knocked down to Graeme Rogerson for $80,000.

Well, I don't know about buying a successful broodmare but I have splashed out today and lot 401 has been added to the broodmare band. At least, I hope she will be, as she's a maiden out of training! She's OCEANICO DOT COM (bloody horrible name!) and the reason her page caught my eye was because she was a 2 time winner at 2 over 5f - and one of those was a Class 3. Nothing particularly interesting there except she's by HERNANDO out of a KRIS mare, so speed wouldn't exactly be at the top of the list pedigree wise !

Mr Thorman checked her out for me with Alan Berry - the 'story' is she was very fast, had too much weight as a 3yo (she's quite small) and then they were hit badly by the virus last year. She's sound, seems very sweet-tempered, in good nick but, as mentioned, on the small side. Very correct with a great walk. Mr T decides that Mrs T should give the filly the once over (there are very few better judges of conformation in the UK than Sara) and she reckons he'd got two smaller mares at home!

So we decide the budget over the phone, I'm listening in and budget gets exceeded by a couple of grand - apparently, Mrs T told him he was chicken and pointed out the under-bidder. So O D C (sounds like a disease...) was knocked down to me and the u/bidder (a well known good judge!) told Mr T he was a bastard, as he'd booked a slot on the lorry going to Overbury Stud as he wanted to send her to PROCLAMATION.

Which is exactly where she is going, as we'd already decided on it if we got her!!!

Songsheet - this is really spooky! I like this horse and was hoping someone I knew bought her!

As you say, awful name but the poor little critter has been trying so hard to win and I think she showed courage, and class.

I am so glad you have bought her! I would have done so myself if I were not already up to my neck in horsey debt.

Best of luck with her, and it is great to know she has a good home. And a good choice for a sire match!

Ah, you've gone and dunnit, then! I thought you seemed determined. Best of luck with the wee girlie, Songy. I hope she's back on the faaarm when I visit to see the stunning offsproing of BARRANTES! :brows: Fingers firmly crossed...

What's she going to be called at home? Dotty? :D

ODC is quite a well-bred filly, her 4th dam being a half-sister to Nureyev. This also the family of Sadler's Wells.

Songsheet, why do you think that Proclamation will be a good mate for her?

NUREYEV himself is of course MIESQUE's sire and PROCLAMATION's dam, SHAMARRA, has produced a winner by HERNANDO. SHAMARRA hails from a good Aga Khan family and I think the horse is great value at £4K SLF and he had speed - which this filly also has.

Of course, commercially he's attractive as he's a first season sire but he's got sme size about him without being overly big - there's no point in breeding this filly to a really big horse as I prefer to breed like to like.

Whether he will be a good mate for her is anyone's guess - but it was interesting that we weren't the only ones who'd targeted this filly to send to the horse!

Congratulations, Songsheet. Sounds like you have picked up a real bargain. :) I was up at Doncaster Sales today. It was a long drive but interesting to see the difference between this sale and the ones I have been to at Newmarket & Ascot.

Phoenix Reach was parading today with many other stallions. It was great to watch them all go round - although it seemed to take forever.

I also went to see the Miles/Lucky Owners colt go through the ring. There wasn't one single bid and this happened with a few of the foals today. The Lucky Owners foal didn't look in the best condition to me. He had runny eyes and a snotty nose, and looked fresh out of the field. There was no one to walk him up either :confused: I was a bit disappointed to be honest and felt really sorry for him. :( Evidently, this happens quite a bit at sales where the vendor leaves the foal at the sales. There wasn't even a sign on his door saying who he was.

There is another sale at Tattersalls next Thursday plus another stallion parade which I have been invited along too. The National Stud were great hosts with mulled wine, home made cakes and fish and chips to anyone who popped their heads in. That included lots of staff from other studs to. There were definitely some real bargains to be had today.

The two mares, Miles and Art Series are going to board at The National Stud soon, so I will be spending a bit more time up there very soon.

Modom is far too modest, but there's a nice lead story about her conquest of today's sale with OCEANIC DOT COM in the RP online, under Bloodstock/News. We both think the name's a bit Essex, so I reckon she'll have to be Nikki when she gets home. Poor wee dear - her head must be in a whirl - leaves home, goes through the sales ring and then straight off for her first bonk, and all without so much as a by-your-leave!

Madame is indeed much too modest!

The sale's top lot but still a potential bargain. After all, chances are that any horse that could win twice for Alan Berry must be bloody good.

The write up about Oceanico Dot Com's sale is in todays RP (I'm sure she was declared for the race Taj was due to run in that was abandoned a couple of weeks ago).

Was interested also to see that former Network Racing syndicate winner Glistening Silver was sold in foal to Lujain for 2,800 guineas.

And yet another former Network Racing inmate to be going overseas by the looks of things. Glis was sold to Jorgen Tolboll who is a trainer in Denmark.

Cheers for that HJ.
Wasn't there a Tolboll who rode a bit for Jack Berry on the flat a few years back?

Originally posted by Arkwright@Feb 1 2007, 04:03 PM
Cheers for that HJ.
Wasn't there a Tolboll who rode a bit for Jack Berry on the flat a few years back?
Don't know about that, but he and his brother Colly are well known brewers.

Thanks all!

I've just rung Alan Berry's yard to see if the filly had a stable name - we've got to call her something and I'm not calling OCEANICO across the field to get her in! Sadly, she had no 'pet' name at all - seems a bit of a shame to me but the secretary said they don't give them pet names as they then be come too attached... weird!

Felt a bit sorry for the filly, to be honest - I'm not overly sentimental about my animals but all the mares, foals and 'permanent' cattle have a name.

I can feel a forum naming comp coming on B)

Back