Buying A Successful Broodmare

And now a note of caution about the 'downsides' of this game!

Received a phone call from Simon Sweeting yesterday at around 5.30 - OCEANICO DOT COM (who you will all be relieved to hear we've christened 'Annie' !) came into the maiden/barreners barn for the night and the head man noticed she was quiet. He checked twenty minutes later and she was starting to colic, so he called the vet in and they routinely administered Buscopan. Simon called me at this point as he way his way back from a meeting to tell me this delightful news. The mare has a prid in at the moment and they'd done a rectal exam earlier that day, which, for maiden mares, is always stressful. She's not cycling properly yet, probably due to being clipped out and having been in proper training.

They were going to keep a very close eye on her until midnight and then, depending on whether she had improved or not, a decison about a trip to the vet clinic would be taken. Simon called me at 8pm to say all was well so far, she was nice and quiet and eating but regular checks would be made through the night.

Have just spoken to him and Annie would appear to be A OK - they're removing the prid as it may be an irritant to her and she'll probably go on Regumate now.

I have to say how pleasant, helpful and on the ball they've been so far. It's this type of event that throws up the realities of this business - looking at it coldly, if Annie had had to have colic surgery, the likelihood of her being coverable (let alone getting in foal) would be low this seaosn, which means £14K tied up in her for a much longer period before any return. While she holds mortality insurance of course, that's not the point - replacing her would be just about impossible this season. And this is aprt from the fact I like her!

Nice photos, Kathy - Phoenix looks very handsome indeed - a nice expression on his face.

Songs, oh dear. Would this be brought on by stress? And what's a prid?

Songsheet, fingers crossed for a happy outcome. Please keep us posted of her progress. I don't know what a prid is either. :shy:

Art Series is also on Regumate now and Miles is getting closer and closer to her big day.

Phoenix has covered his first mare, and the second mare is due to be covered very soon.

Songsheet, fingers crossed that she gets better soon, and to be honest: I would think a rectal exam is always stressfull ... :what: , poor thing.

Kathy, we await the foal photos! Best of luck to Mum and baby. :luv: You'll have to remind me who the Dad is, I've just forgotten!

Well you asked!

Prids look like a horse (or cow!) sized tampax that are impregnated with the correct cocktail (excuse the pun :P ) of hormones that will start the oestrus cycle off in the animal. They're vaginally inserted and have strings attached so that it's easy to remove them on the correct day.

We use prids a lot with the cattle to get them cycling more or less at the same time, usually because we're AI'ing them to get a regular calving pattern - especially if we're doing a flushing programme with the pedigrees.

Originally posted by crazyhorse@Feb 22 2007, 10:00 AM
Songsheet, fingers crossed that she gets better soon, and to be honest: I would think a rectal exam is always stressfull ... :what: , poor thing.
You'd think so but the broodmares on their second + foal rarely turn a hair! Just take it all in their stride - so do the cows, come to that.

It's all new to these maiden mares and, as she is a smaller mare anyway, it probably was more uncomfortable for her than most...

Thanks, Songy - poor girlies. Okay, one question is answered and another occurs - some of us don't know what a flushing programme is, either. It sounds like colonic irrigation, but I suppose it's something else?

Originally posted by krizon@Feb 22 2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks, Songy - poor girlies. Okay, one question is answered and another occurs - some of us don't know what a flushing programme is, either. It sounds like colonic irrigation, but I suppose it's something else?
See new topic in non racing section if interested.

Originally posted by krizon@Feb 22 2007, 10:14 AM
Kathy, we await the foal photos! Best of luck to Mum and baby. :luv: You'll have to remind me who the Dad is, I've just forgotten!
Lucky Owners , Krizon :)

WE HAD A COLT AT 5AM THIS MORNING!!!! :clap:

That's the good news. The not so good news is it was quite a slow birth. Miles was a little earlier foaling than expected as she was only due on the 16th March. The foal came out at a bit of an angle so needed some assistance and took a while to stand as he is evidently a little wonky on one of his back legs. The staff at The National Stud have been brilliant, and I am hoping to go and see the foal tomorrow. He is by all accounts big and strong.

Fingers crossed the little chap is going to be OK. He is in very good hands. More updates later.

I will definitely take the camera, Helen! Also, Art Series could well be covered in the next 10 days or so, so I am just trying to decide whether to go and watch or not. I probably will. I am all up for new experiences.... in racing! :D

Brilliant News, Kathy. Many congratulations, and here´s us having fingers crossed that all will be well. Can´t wait for photos.

Btw., looks as if Bukett will be boarded at the National Stud as well, hope to see her in april and we might be able to meet up !

Again, all the best!

Congratulations! :clap:

Being an early bird shouldn't necessarily be a problem - one of ours was a whole three weeks early and is HUGE (a filly too - but as big as a colt!) and very healthy indeed.

You lucky sod!! :D Talk about first-timer's luck! If your next one's a boy, too, I'm never speaking to you again. All the very best to Mum and baby, Kathy - you will feel SO happy when you see him. Boy or girl, it's a real thrill.

Back