Champion Hurdle 2013

Looked like they went a reasonable clip in that ground, EC1. I would be interested to know if your time analysis backs that view up.

Looked like they went a reasonable clip in that ground, EC1. I would be interested to know if your time analysis backs that view up.

Glens Melody - 21.3slow/18f = 1.18pf x 16f = 18.9 slow at 2 miles

HF = 20.10 slow at 2 miles

HF's race would have been 1.2 seconds slower than GM if GM had run 2miles

Last edited:
OK - thanks.

How does one account for ease of victory?

Can this be measured with any degree of accuracy (perhaps by means of comparision of time between second-last and last?), or does such heavy restraint not avail itself to accurate measurement, and the variable therefore largely invalidates the overall time?

Genuine questions. :cool:

Last edited:
And how much should one account for ease of victory?

Can this be measured with any degree of accuracy (perhaps by means of comparision of time between second-last and last?), or does such heavy restraint not avail itself to accurate measurement, and the variable therefore largely invalidates the overall time?

Genuine questions. :cool:

don't know Grass..i only used the RP results section;)

its not a big timefigure is all i know..after weight sorted its just a bit faster than the mares novice listed race would think

Last edited:
I was actually going to ask what kind of pace the sectionals supported, and to ask how they sat in your overall measurement of HF i.e. whether you'd uncovered anything new from the data.

Sounds like you don't have that level of detail yet.

Last edited:
I was actually going to ask what kind of pace the sectionals supported, and to ask how they sat in your overall measurement of HF i.e. whether you'd uncovered anything new from the data.

Sounds like you don't have that level of detail yet.

no Grass..no sectionals on Irish stuff..could do it but have enough on with important races at Wolves Lingfield Kempton AW racing;)

Although Pont Alexandre's win equated to a slower time than HF, over the 20f, the style of the PA'w win, really does nothing to enhance HF's performance IMO.

I really don't get the cut by a whole point for the CH, when all he has done ie perform as expected.

HF has been in much better form this season than last, he is still the one the others will have to beat at Cheltenham. I can see this years Champion Hurdle being run at a furious pace, though whether that will inconveinece him is another thing.

I don't want to come across as a HF hater, but he ran an identical time today as last years win, which was officially on worse ground.

You can't argue with the style of both wins and 11/4 as opposed to 4/6 last season could appeal to some punters, but I really don't see anything to support he's a better horse this season.

There's a chance the ground may be softer this year but whether that's what he needs a Cheltenham is another issue.

Hurricane has not done nothing New this season.
He is a year older, he is too short and is one to las for me in the big meeting.

Agreed! Binocular was beat before the white flag was up which told us nothing other than Hurricane Fly is still capable of beating Thousand Stars.

AP was pulled in by the Stewards and rightly so as a couple of cracks and the forecast punters would he been paid out. Binocular looked happier than I have seen him for along time but with his allergies and muscle problems it would take a massive leap in faith even for me to back him.

I'd expect there to be very little between the 2 at Cheltenham with Hurricane Fly just coming out on top again, but I still think it's time for a new order to coin a phrase.

Hurricane Fly you can't possibly write off but Grandouet still makes most appeal. He's the perfect age for the race and I know for a fact unless things have changed in the last few days he is absolutely thriving in his work.

Hurricane Fly has the advantage of being in Ireland and just about everytime WM wants to run him racing is on whereas Grandouet has lost out with both Haydock and Doncaster being cancelled.

Grandouet could now go up to Kelso if Sandown is lost or the ground is heavy in which case rock on Ruby would go for the Kingwell.

Neither trainer will be looking to have a hard race so I don't see them clashing until March

Last edited:
Believe :ninja:

I'll probably have a tenner on him for old times sake.

Much depends on AP McCoy and which horse he rides. Binocular has been by far the better horse and he'd need to be in tip top shape for McCoy to get off the younger Darlan......but then he's not thought to be good enough and Binocular could be, hence the doubt in his mind.

Looks doubtful that Rock on Ruby will go to Sandown so Grandouet could so get your lolly on.

The bookies slashed Hurricane Fly for having a run round they'll do the same with Grandouet even if nothing else turns up.

Last edited:
The bookies slashed Hurricane Fly for having a run round they'll do the same with Grandouet even if nothing else turns up.

The fact that he's only had the one run so far this season is the only real negative about him so a shortening is in order if he runs ok.

The more I look at the race the closer I am to believing Grandouet is the horse at the prices - But then how could you not have a saver on Zarkander.... If HF (too short) wins I wouldn't be surprised but would be disappointed some of the younger horses couldn't beat him. Darlan....just no.

Michael Winters travelled over with Rebel Fitz for trials day to get the horse used to the noise etc. He travels him pretty regularly to race meetings he is not running at as the horse is excitable and seems to get calmer with each trip. If you write off his last run (over the top) he wouldn't be too far off a horse like Darlan on OR's. One is 50/1 - the other is a lot shorter. He wouldn't be the first Galway Hurdle winner to feature prominently in the race.

Last edited:
Back