Champion Hurdle 2013

Given the proliferation of early-maturing types in training these days, I'm towards the end of the spectrum which states there probably shouldn't be any wfa allowances over Jumps.

I might not perhaps go quite that far, but I'd be towards that end of the scale.

Of the top of my head, aren't both flat and NH horses deemed to reach full maturity at around 4 1/2 years old?

Solid enough performance from Zarkander, though I suspect proximity of KK holds the form down a touch.

Nicholls not telling us anything we couldn't figure out for ourselves, but he has confirmed Jacob - rather than Walsh - will ride in the Champion Hurdle.

I'm backing him on the day if Grandouet misses the race.

A small field race on a flat track with not much of a lead out hardly played to the horses's strengths today.

I'm backing him on the day if Grandouet misses the race.

A small field race on a flat track with not much of a lead out hardly played to the horses's strengths today.

I probaly agree, Euro - though it's perhaps fair to state that similar conditions didn't stop him earlier in the season in the Elite. Maybe he does want an end-to-end gallop, and maybe it would see some improvement in him......but maybe he'd find himself getting out-paced?

I can't quite figure Zarkandar out, to be honest. The two wins at Wincanton are head-scratchers in terms of reasonable assumptions about the kind of race he wants.

Last edited:
If I had backed Zarkandar I would be happy with that run or should I say stroll. Khyber King ran well, as he does when fresh and don't forget he was runner up in a Champion Hurdle so he's not exactly useless.

No surprise Ruby will ride Hurricane Fly but even if Zarkandar had one by 20 lengths he wouldn't get of a horse who's already won a Champion Hurdle and is unbeaten this season. Who would?

My idea of the best bet at current prices is Dutch on Grandouet and Rock on Ruby @ about 4.1 which appeals more than 13/8 about Hurricane Fly who isn't as young as he used to be and may find another trip to Cheltenham way too much for his old bones.

I think March on good ground with a furious pace in a big field questions all of the trial's form.
Last year, Rock On Ruby won fair and square and you can bet anyone's money that his sole objective this season is the defence.
Zarkandar is entitled to have a good crack at it but I wasnt impressed today though as I say, its a trial

Last edited:
I'm not sure where this 'furious pace' is coming from Harry. Granted it's the champion hurdle and they'll go a proper lick, but I for one can't see what's gonna make this as stiff a test as last year. Hurricane Fly will win in a simiar style to 2 years ago imo. Banker of the festival!

Champion Hurdle pace is seldom if ever anything else. Rags need not apply because they will without a doubt be tailed off by half way.

The great thing about Cheltenham you don't need a furious pace just a decent one. It's the undulations and sudden injections of pace that catch horses out.

Last year Overturn set a good pace and Ruby seemed unperturbed while AP had left his brain in the dressing room.

The first real injection of pace came as the came over the top of the Hill and immediately any chance Zarkandar had was gone as he lost lengths unable to handle it.

Noel Fielly was in a bout the same position as Binocular had been when he won the Champion Hurdle this time AP had given his horse an impossible task.

When Rock on Ruby kicked and injected another increase in pace with run down the hill to help Hurricane Fly had used up all his valuable speed just trying to get into a challenging position and had nothing left in the tank by the time they came to the last..

If you look back at horses like Punjabi, Katchit, Binocular, Hardy Eustace, Istabraq they were all right there or very close by the second last the only horse who won the race being held until they turned for home is Hurricane Fly but that as far as I am concerned wasn't quite as good a race as last years and this year it looks even tougher.

Ruby rode Hurricane Fly the same way as he did when he won the race so it's hard to fault him but what on earth APwas thinking about I'll never know. He threw away the Champion Hurdle by hanging on to him to long with fear of him not getting up the hill and admitted afterwards had he kicked on he would have won. Then he kicks on the following year and pissed up then last year he drops him out the back.....whoever thought that plan up should have been shot at dawn.

Furious pace or not the Champion Hurdle is not a race to be giving good horses an easy lead in and if Ruby or AP have any chance of winning they better be right there with Rock on Ruby 2 out or he will just do the same to them again.

That's why I am with Grandouet he has the highest cruising speed of any hurdle you care to mention and he should till be hacking after the 2nd last and has the toe to beat Rock on Ruby.

So I totally agree with Harry and DO and honestly think Hurricane Fly will be left floundering. 2 years on. better horses can't see him having improved and his defeat of the one paced Peddler's Cross wouldn't be good enough to win this IMO

If you look back at horses like Punjabi, Katchit, Binocular, Hardy Eustace, Istabraq they were all right there or very close by the second last,the only horse who won the race being held until they turned for home is Hurricane Fly but that as far as I am concerned wasn't quite as good a race as last years and this year it looks even tougher.
/QUOTE]

And then there was Harchibald :ninja:

From the Sporting Life,
"Jessica Harrington feels the ground at Cheltenham will determine whether Steps To Freedom runs in the Stan James Champion Hurdle after his win at Dundalk on Friday evening."
Now we're talking.

If you look back at horses like Punjabi, Katchit, Binocular, Hardy Eustace, Istabraq they were all right there or very close by the second last,the only horse who won the race being held until they turned for home is Hurricane Fly but that as far as I am concerned wasn't quite as good a race as last years and this year it looks even tougher.
/QUOTE]

And then there was Harchibald :ninja:

Sublimity,Alderbrook,Sea Pigeon, Kribensis?

Back