Champion Hurdle 2014

Look i've a ton on at 2 points above average but come on! It's the only thing 2 sway me. I'll sit back and watch the 2014 champion hurdle and think what a race! And what a winner! It'll be nice 2 be there and c it 4 what it is, the best champion hurdle run in the last 20 years.

Well i never be a 'trader', unfortunately - i'll be always be a brickie. Come on My Tent Or Yours annnilate them! (and an AP fan.)

Same finish AFIAA, and appx. 200yds from the winning post.

I had a look at an aerial shot and it looks like the new course is maybe about 10 yards closer.

I asked because I ran the videos of OC and RB (2003) in sync from the last and OC was about three seconds faster up the run in despite racing in softer ground.

On the other hand, Champagne Fever was about half a second faster all out [than OC] on better ground in a race in which the sectional experts will tell you he got the fractions bang on the money. And Champagne Fever beat MTOY.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I had a look at an aerial shot and it looks like the new course is maybe about 10 yards closer.

I asked because I ran the videos of OC and RB (2003) in sync from the last and OC was about three seconds faster up the run in despite racing in softer ground.

On the other hand, Champagne Fever was about half a second faster all out [than OC] on better ground in a race in which the sectional experts will tell you he got the fractions bang on the money. And Champagne Fever beat MTOY.

They went one hell of a gallop in the Booster's Champion though - much quicker than last year's Triumph surely.

DO
Like most clockers, you're assuming that all horses are racing purely against the stopwatch, and while OC may have been, Champagne Fever had to fight off challenges from 2 other top class horses all the way up the finishing hill, with all the concomitant calls on his reserves that entailed.
It's a poor analogy, but boxers lose less energy, fighting shadows.

Ya but the supreme in Soft ground was 16 seconds faster than the Triumph in Good/soft, and that was with CF slowing in down considerably after 3 hurdles. It was changed to soft after the county.

Supreme winning time - 3m55.6
Triumph Winning time - 4m.11.1

http://www.attheraces.com/form.aspx?raceid=741940&meetingid=&date=2013-03-12&ref=form&refsite=

http://www.attheraces.com/form.aspx?raceid=741960&meetingid=&date=2013-03-15&ref=form&refsite=atr

The Raceform going corrections point markedly towards the ground being a lot softer on the Friday than on the Tuesday last year. You'd also expect the Supreme time to be faster for two reasons:
a) it's for more mature types;
b) it's half a furlong (abt 7s) shorter!

DO
Like most clockers, you're assuming that all horses are racing purely against the stopwatch, and while OC may have been, Champagne Fever had to fight off challenges from 2 other top class horses all the way up the finishing hill, with all the concomitant calls on his reserves that entailed.
It's a poor analogy, but boxers lose less energy, fighting shadows.

I'm not really assuming anything although surely the CF scenario would be more conducive towards a faster run as he was being asked for everything.

I was just playing about with youtube footage.

Well, Intersky Falcon did. The principals didn't get involved in it. They came from the rear so they probably ran closer to ideal fractions.

The last hurdle in the CH was moved in about 2010 DO...so don't get confused with any timings before then..the current distance from the last hurdle to the line is 591.7 feet

i think the idea that a front runner is going a lot faster than the rest of field can mislead..when a race is being run they are all going the same speed...otherwise those "held up" would get further and further behind. The only difference between the leader and the others..is just that..the distance they are in front..they are travelling roughly the same speed.

Intersky Falcon dragged the whole field along at too fast a pace...so being lengths behind him is the advantage..IF used a bit more energy putting the distance between himself and the field initially...then they all run the same speed..just to keep up.

Rooster Booster didn't go even pace...none of them did.

These are going corrected - Good ground - even pace - figures for the Champion Hurdle to hurdle 7. timings are from when they jump the first hurdle.

H1 to H3 = 85.2 sec
H3 to H4 = 24.5 sec
H4 to H5 = 20.6 sec
H5 to H6 = 35.8 sec
H6 to H7 = 17.7 sec

Rooster Booster's figures were

H1 to H3 = 83.3 sec
H3 to H4 = 23.9 sec
H4 to H5 = 20.3 sec
H5 to H6 = 36.2 sec
H6 to H7 = 18.8 sec

as you can see his time to the 3rd hurdle is very fast..a full 2 seconds ...so has been running 3/4 a mile at too high a mph just to this point..this tells later..tells even more if they run the downhill section too fast

between H3 & H4...again has knocked 0.6 seconds of the necessary time needed to run even pace.

between H4 & H5...again runs 0.3 too fast

there is then a lull in pace as the whole field tire and RB's stamina starts kicking in..he actually managed a pretty decent H7 to finish time after this as well...something none of the field could do. One of the key parts of the race is the downhill section down to the 2nd last..if this is run too fast after going too fast early then final time is damaged badly...RB runs this part a lot slower than par which gives him a breather before the finish. Last year HF & co ran this section too fast...and walked from 2 out to the line as a penalty

Last edited:
The time has come, the talking stops.

My prediction,
1st - TNO
2nd - MTOY
3rd - Jezki

Come on then, nail your top 3 down?

Back