Champion Hurdle 2014

Congrats to you HF fans, i sincerely hope you enjoy his next 2.5 months at the top.

Last edited:
The two that ran today represent a pretty smart standard and Cheltenham will suit both of them more than the race today. They'll be difficult to split.

Anything to emerge from Ireland would have to be impressive. Perhaps one or two of the younger ones in Ireland will prove decent though.

...is that all you've got boys?;)

After today I would say the big 5 have now been whittled down to 3, however, a lot of water will pass under the bridge from now until March.
Must admit this is the race that I'm most looking forward to and have no strong opinion on the most likely winner. Initial thoughts are whoever beats HF will win,

I must say that in pre parade all three looked like Monsters.
With Grey when Jessie man was talking; it made me smile.
Critical of AP following CCB from too far out.
Mind you AP knew how good CCB is even at 12.!
Met EP Harty who regretted not making the pace in this race 12 months ago when CCBs legs were a year younger !
March will be the race of the century thus far imo.
Hope Ricci adds Annie Power to the mix and may they all get there in one piece.

How anybody can have a strong opinion on the c.hurdle baffals me.. Every avenue you turn down there are more questions than answers. HF won yesterday but he will be 10 in March and have 4 proper challengers not 2. (1 wasn't race fit). I hope nobody has max bet in this race as it's too close to call. On form the books have it spot on with maybe jezki and OC been the wrong way round in the betting but OC will come on for that yesterday. For what it's worth I liked TNO and after the other day I still do but wouldn't be surprised if any of them won. And don't forget the likes of un de seux(who I think could make the running) and Annie power.

I must admit Ajax that's a more than good point. It sounds increasing like pub talk after a few boring pints.

Very interesting when points are picked up that may not have been considered but when it's "won't win and that's that" or the classic "won't win, move on" it's as entertaining as vic reeves and as endearing as Colin Murray

Did anyone see our conor the paddock and how undercooked (if he was at all) he looked?

Last edited:
How anybody can have a strong opinion on the c.hurdle baffals me.. Every avenue you turn down there are more questions than answers. HF won yesterday but he will be 10 in March and have 4 proper challengers not 2. (1 wasn't race fit). I hope nobody has max bet in this race as it's too close to call. On form the books have it spot on with maybe jezki and OC been the wrong way round in the betting but OC will come on for that yesterday. For what it's worth I liked TNO and after the other day I still do but wouldn't be surprised if any of them won. And don't forget the likes of un de seux(who I think could make the running) and Annie power.

Pretty much how I feel. As of this moment in time I feel The New One has shown the best credentials, all things considered. But in no way will I be max betting him, especially at the prices. I find it very difficult to believe anyone could put their balls on the line at this stage. Very very open, and as you say let's not forget Un De Sceaux and to a lesser extent Annie Power.

Shaping up to be a bookies benefit and intriguing race for punters.

Good question. I think biggest factor which could lead to changing opinion, is mtoy showing resolution and settling far better. It was a slight rather than big doubt before but significant for his prospects

Desertions of our Conor would make sense too. Regardless of "fitness", he's going there with probably no enough experience now

Un de Sceaux entered tomorrow at Leopardstown but Mullins has multiple entries, if he runs in the CH not sure NTD needs to worry about a pace maker.

Personally I think the winner will come from the first three in yesterdays race, I cant have TNO with his hurdling plus the form with Zarkandar is good but nothing special, Zarkandar needs a proper trip, at the shorter distance he needs at least soft ground if not heavy to get competitive (Jumps Road was third in the International!).

MTOY was beaten by Champagne Fever after appearing not to get up the hill, plus McCoy has yet to commit, which has to be a concern if you think MTOY is a better than Jezki? I don't and I fancy he will ride Jezki who would have gone close yesterday if it were not for getting boxed in.

Our Conor's next race will be of interest, excuses yesterday are more than valid and he ran very well for his first race of the season in a Grade 1 - I can see the same 1-2-3 in March.

Good question. I think biggest factor which could lead to changing opinion, is mtoy showing resolution and settling far better. It was a slight rather than big doubt before but significant for his prospects

Desertions of our Conor would make sense too. Regardless of "fitness", he's going there with probably no enough experience now

Not sure I agree with paragraph one above, clivex. For me, MTOY was probably held going to the last, and I'm not convinced he would have collared TNO, if the latter hadn't lost momentum (and the rider his iron) at the final flight. I sti have that small seed of doubt about him, but remain open-minded about it. I hope he meets a decent horse in his prep, as I'd like to see that resolution tested again pre-Festival.

Our Conor ran really well yesterday, but was readily-held in receipt of weight, and has just a wee bit to prove now. Like MTOY, we should know more after his next race.

HF, TNO and - to a slightly lesser extent, Jezki - seem more straightforward reads, in the context of the Champion Hurdle; all three broadly wanting a strong test at the trip. That would also suit both MTOY and OC, and if we get the promised pace-makers from the McManus/Mullins duopoly, this is likely to be the highest-class Champion run for many a year.

Which will obviously make Hurricane Fly's victory all the sweeter. :D

I'm not saving he's a brave inca grass but without actually defining it in detail, he ran with greater maturity. A question of degrees Head carriage looked straighter too

On that point, there were some throwing hands in the air at ntds decision to run the tno TWICE in the same month. Barmy of course Isn't the current method to run them once unfit every four years or something?

But give me a young horse with some good experience over some fcking scarlet pimpernel

Not sure I agree with paragraph one above, clivex. For me, MTOY was probably held going to the last, and I'm not convinced he would have collared TNO, if the latter hadn't lost momentum (and the rider his iron) at the final flight.

I agree grassy. Don't think it's been mentioned but The New One had to do the donkey work from the turn in. MTOY got an ideal tow. Given that, the blunder, and the winning distance, I'm pretty confident TNO will reverse form when they meet in March. Worth mentioning the previous quotes from the Twiston Davies ' of wanting/needing to produce TNO late.

Where is MTOY off to next?

Kelso would be my guess. Not unusual for Nicky to send fancies there, and I can't see him facing the Cheltenham hill again until it's necessary.
Hard to believe some still question his resolution, and - for me - TNO lost shag-all volition with his last hurdle blunder, was in front again not long after, and still was beaten by the better horse. He's not a 2 miler in my book, whereas MTOY most certainly is. Still has to prove he'll stay (may well, come March) and HF will probably the only thing between him and the hurdling crown.

Back