Champion Hurdle 2014

Kelso would be my guess. Not unusual for Nicky to send fancies there, and I can't see him facing the Cheltenham hill again until it's necessary.
Hard to believe some still question his resolution, and - for me - TNO lost shag-all volition with his last hurdle blunder, was in front again not long after, and still was beaten by the better horse. He's not a 2 miler in my book, whereas MTOY most certainly is. Still has to prove he'll stay (may well, come March) and HF will probably the only thing between him and the hurdling crown.

Think the Kelso race is 2 1/4m, would be surprised if they went further than 2m with him. Haydock or Wincanton are options, wonder though if the Sandown race Binocular has used in early Feb is the most likely.

'Tis DJ, but a sharp 2m2 and rarely strongly contested.
It would fit nicely with Nicky's stated intention of giving him a run "just to take the freshness out of him", too.

"just to take the freshness out of him", too.

You only do that as a trial before a big target, he's gone straight into Grade 1 company this year and followed up with a hard fought win, he's not going to need a "freshener" you just keep him on the go at home, he's fit, burly and healthy, no time to mess around with "freshners" the horse is in prime condition.

MTOY is a big horse who'll need a good blow out before March. Gagging to see him take a fence - must be a chance they'll send him chasing even if he wins the Champion.

Last edited:
Can this be viewed anywhere online, granger? If not, can you give me the gist of it?

Thought he would have been onto you personally.

It is meant to be on ATR site later.

For now,

The nine year old recorded an 18th top level success at Leopardstown, beating young pretenders Jezki and Our Conor and Mullins revealed that he has taken the race in his stride.

"He seems fine. He lost a bit of weight but he's fine, eating and doing everything right," the Closutton handler told At The Races.

"It was a very taxing race and obviously Jezki got into trouble but Our Conor had a very clear run and our fellow just had way more tactical speed than the two of them yesterday and we know he stays. I'm very happy with the position anyway."

Hurricane Fly performed to a mark of 170, 5lb below his best, according to British Horseracing Authority handicapper Phil Smith, but Mullins believes that the son of Montjeu has more improvement than that left in the locker.

"There's easily that left to work on. I've been saying that this fellow is stronger than he ever was before, it's extraordinary for a horse his age but knowing what we've been doing with him and I think there's plenty left.

"I've been saying that all along and I'm happy with that," he added.

"He was beaten at Cheltenham one year when things didn't go right for us, but every other time he's been fine. I just think the fact he disappointed the year he did that sticks in people's memories.

"The Irish Champion and then Cheltenham is the plan."

Last edited:
When you look at it, they could all win the race, hence a case can be made for all of them.
None more so than the horse who has been there and done it in Hurricane Fly. I have a great deal of respect for the one's that always said he was special such as Grassy and Irish Stamp..

However, I can't get that Tote Trophy performance from My Tent Or Yours out of my mind. He's the only one out of them who could on a going day blow the field away, whereas from now til racetime the world and his dog will be debating ratings and a couple of lengths here and there, but with My Tent Or Yours you see a horse with the perfect combination of proven form and improvement. Call me barmy but I think 7/2 could look a decent price.

Last edited:
I think HF is now the most likely winner of this race. I thought that he might be getting on a bit, particularly after his run in the Morgiana, but he was very, very good yesterday. I happen to think the form is very good and not far off his best.

I don't really know what to make of MTOY or TNO. The latter is clearly a very good horse, but I prefer the X-Factor of the McManus yolk. But on balance, I think they will both struggle to beat the champion. The possible presence of Annie Power and Un de Sceaux really whets the appetite.

I tell you who is better than you think, rolling star!! Haven't backed it for the CH and of course won't win or place but this lad will pick up a decent pot at some point.. 50/1 is abit OTT

Thanks, what about Cinders And Ashes?

After his run at Cheltenham a scan revealed fractured pelvis. McCain also confirmed that he has had a few other niggly problems which have now been addressed. Off 149, would be interesting in something like the county hurdle.

Call me barmy but I think 7/2 could look a decent price.
I'm not sure it would be a decent price on the day of the race (unless he comes out and does something spectacular in the interim) but 10 weeks off it certainly doesn't have me wishing I was wearing tighter underpants.

Back