Champion Hurdle 2014

LEADING Champion Hurdle hopes The New One and Rock On Ruby are set to provide a shot in the arm for Sunday racing in Britain this weekend with a mouthwatering clash at Kempton.

The New One, described by Rock On Ruby's trainer Harry Fry as "the most exciting young horse in the Champion Hurdle picture", was a four-length winner of the Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival, before going down by a half-length to Zarkandar in the Grade 1 Aintree Hurdle.

The Nigel Twiston-Davies-trained five-year-old is a standout 8-1 with Ladbrokes for the Champion Hurdle, while Rock On Ruby is a best-priced 20-1 to regain the two-mile hurdling crown despite finishing first and second in the last two runnings of the race.
Fry said he would rather not take on The New One first time out, but feels it is more important to get a run into his eight-year-old, who has bigger targets than Sunday's Listed two-mile contest in the coming months.

Fry said: "We thought we'd get a nice run into him and we've ended up on a collision course with probably the most exciting young horse in the Champion Hurdle picture.

"His main targets are the Coral Hurdle [at Ascot in November] and the International at Cheltenham so this is a good chance to get a run into him.

"It's an ideal opportunity for him on good ground and we'll know a lot more about where he is afterwards as we want to step him up in trip for Ascot.

"Obviously, we'd rather The New One wasn't running, but it's not the end of the world if we get beaten on Sunday. The way he won the Neptune was very impressive and I see a lot of similarities with him and Rock On Ruby."

Twiston-Davies also confirmed The New One would not be backing down from the contest, meaning jumps fans can begin salivating over an early-season clash between two Cheltenham Festival-winning hurdlers.

"He's in good form," said Twiston-Davies. "We knew Rock On Ruby would be going there but we're keen to go anyway. It'll be interesting to see what happens."

Interesting early season opener. Let's see how good TNO is. I have my doubts

He'll surely beat ROR this time anyway...ROR is never wound up first time out. NTD has his horses in good form at thsi time of year traditionally. I'd have to be having a good punt on TNO.

I dunno. He has that pizz zaz about him. That race reminded me of Sprinter Sacre when he brutalised Peddlers Cross.

I realise it was only a spin round today but Our Conor looked decidedly one paced....HF will eat him in the Morgiana... It's a puzzle but Our Conor is one ill be swerving for a while...

It's between TNO and MTOY. I have the latter and Jezki in my portfolio and will be looking to add the Twister beast at some point. Not ante post though.

Again the overall times today don't tell the full story..timed from the first hurdle TNO ran 6.6 seconds faster than Sea Lord...they went a bit hard early though in Sea Lords race..to the 3rd hurdle SL ran 3.4 seconds faster than TH..paid for it later..from the last hurdle to the line..SL = 15.9....TNO = 14.6

Our Conor got a stinker of a ride today I thought and I didn't back him.

Last edited:
Back