Champion Hurdle 2014

"Something might come up"?

Where exactly? There's no suitable 2-mile hurdle for him to run in after the Kingwell.

Interested to know reet's thoughts, given he reckoned MTOY would definitely need a run before the Champion.

Last edited:
i like MTOY but he could be on a hiding to nothing at cheltenham. without a prep run he's going to be mad fresh. no pace and he'll pull mccoy's arms out and empty up the hill. a strong pace and there's a fair chance he won't stay up the hill anyway.

couldn't have him now.

Last edited:
MTOY - Needs prep run
TNO - needs pacemaker
Jezki - needs pacemaker
OC - needs weight allowance
The Fly - just needs to turn up!

Last edited:
I've been listening to Maxbet and gone through the form again, though I've not bothered clock watching.
I reckon Hurricane Fly has run at least 3lb below his best form albeit in winning on his favoured track and conditions to suit.Maybe father time is catching up with him.
It is widely accepted that Cheltenham doesn't suit The Hurricane - maybe the going or course but his best ratings are back at home. I make that a negative of -6lb . He won't place this year.

"Something might come up"?

Where exactly? There's no suitable 2-mile hurdle for him to run in after the Kingwell.

Interested to know reet's thoughts, given he reckoned MTOY would definitely need a run before the Champion.

With so many abandonments, including the 2m hurdle race at Sandown that has been used a Champion Hurdle prep, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the Levy Board might fund an extra meeting with a race like the Darlan/Rock On Ruby one at Doncaster last year.

With so many abandonments, including the 2m hurdle race at Sandown that has been used a Champion Hurdle prep, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the Levy Board might fund an extra meeting with a race like the Darlan/Rock On Ruby one at Doncaster last year.

He won't go anywhere North of the Watford Gap other than Kelso, DJ!

The pattern has long since been established - he makes a total Gareth of campainging his top 2-mile hurdlers every year.

I've been listening to Maxbet and gone through the form again, though I've not bothered clock watching.
I reckon Hurricane Fly has run at least 3lb below his best form albeit in winning on his favoured track and conditions to suit.Maybe father time is catching up with him.
It is widely accepted that Cheltenham doesn't suit The Hurricane - maybe the going or course but his best ratings are back at home. I make that a negative of -6lb . He won't place this year.

Fishwife cobblers.

The Hurricane has done enough to win every time, and the way the preps have been run do not avail themselves to punching-up big numbers. If you think the Leopardstown runs are as good as HF is, you are going to be skint before they go to tape for the Mares!

Last edited:
His last Champion Hurdle win wasn't a best figure in my book. With old slowboat Zarkandar on his tail.

Making these assumptions are dangerous, races were run at a crawl and the only thing that can be taken out of the race is that Hurricane Fly was the best horse. Hurricane Fly is better coming off a strong pace and his best performances in Ireland have been when Thousand Stars, Solwhit and Rock on Ruby (in Punchestown last year) ensured a strong pace. Just because he is quick and better than the rest at coping with a slow pace doesn't mean they suit him.

That said I will agree he hasn't been at his most impressive at Cheltenham and age could be a factor. Still think he is the best horse in the race and it would be great for racing if he won.

There is no "if", Big Tea.

Winning will be as straightforward an endeavour for The Fly, as having his first dump of the day.

i like MTOY but he could be on a hiding to nothing at cheltenham. without a prep run he's going to be mad fresh. no pace and he'll pull mccoy's arms out and empty up the hill. a strong pace and there's a fair chance he won't stay up the hill anyway.

couldn't have him now.

Agree with this...Henderson does act foolishly for an intelligent man.

Making these assumptions are dangerous, races were run at a crawl and the only thing that can be taken out of the race is that Hurricane Fly was the best horse. Hurricane Fly is better coming off a strong pace and his best performances in Ireland have been when Thousand Stars, Solwhit and Rock on Ruby (in Punchestown last year) ensured a strong pace. Just because he is quick and better than the rest at coping with a slow pace doesn't mean they suit him.

That said I will agree he hasn't been at his most impressive at Cheltenham and age could be a factor. Still think he is the best horse in the race and it would be great for racing if he won.

I disagree
Hurrican Fly has a better chance if slow pace and ridden close to the front

off a fast pace he will be beaten

he has not posted a single good speed figure yet

Does that mean Our Conor is 8lb below that needed to place....you cant allow your wildest imagination to warp figures to suit your crazy dreams...:lol:

I disagree
Hurrican Fly has a better chance if slow pace and ridden close to the front

off a fast pace he will be beaten

he has not posted a single good speed figure yet

I'd say he is probably the best equipped horse in the race to be able to find cover.

Back