Champion Hurdle 2014

My Tent Or Yours is a big stats negative. There have been 83 Champion Hurdles, and none of them had their final race before the Champion Hurdle in a Jumpers Bumper.

You could indeed interpret it this way by looking blindly at the stat you identified. However if you looked more closely you'd see that that stat is completely untrue and misguiding. The Bumpers for Jumpers initiative from the BHA really only came to fruition in late 2010 early 2011 as a result of the terrible weather we had that winter.

As a result it was impossible for 80 of the 83 winners of the champion hurdle you identified to run in something which simply didn't exist. The correct stat should read that 0/3 champion hurdlers have had their final prep race in a jumpers bumper and indeed the twice successful Irish trained Hurricane Fly wouldn't have that option in Ireland as they don't exist here so that puts a slightly different gloss on it.

With the way the weather seems to be influenced by the effects of global warming, we could see a lot more top class animals use this great initiative to stay fit in the run up to big festivals. In The first 2 weeks of February alone 14 meetings were lost both sides of the Irish Sea.

Fair play to the BHA.

I'll nail my colours now that everyone is coming out with such sweeping statements.The only way my tent or yours is not involved in the finish is if they crawl.This is a champion hurdle that isn't going to happen.He'll be travelling all over them coming to two out,the horse last year was a shell of what it is now.The only negative is the energy expended by how hard he pulls which could well be evened out by the strong pace.its between HF and the tent,preference for the latter though.

They could do with you in the stable Links. Confidence is very low.

Henderson stable have admitted they think MTOY can't beat Hurricane Fly. :whistle:

Didn't hear anything about this. Quite the contrary in fact. I'd be very friendly with former Assistant Head lad Conor Murphy who's in Kentucky now but still keeps in contact weekly with 7 barrows and he said they're fairly bullish about MTOY chances. They rate OC as a huge danger.

I'll nail my colours now that everyone is coming out with such sweeping statements.The only way my tent or yours is not involved in the finish is if they crawl.This is a champion hurdle that isn't going to happen.He'll be travelling all over them coming to two out,the horse last year was a shell of what it is now.The only negative is the energy expended by how hard he pulls which could well be evened out by the strong pace.its between HF and the tent,preference for the latter though.

No risk of it becoming s crawl. Jezki to bowl off in front and stretch them. They knew UDS had no intention of going there so pace was needed. McCoy saying Jezki's best chance was a change of tactics and ridden differently from the front wasn't coincidence either. He said he'd have a good ew chance if ridden differently. ;) ;)

You could indeed interpret it this way by looking blindly at the stat you identified. However if you looked more closely you'd see that that stat is completely untrue and misguiding. The Bumpers for Jumpers initiative from the BHA really only came to fruition in late 2010 early 2011 as a result of the terrible weather we had that winter.

As a result it was impossible for 80 of the 83 winners of the champion hurdle you identified to run in something which simply didn't exist. The correct stat should read that 0/3 champion hurdlers have had their final prep race in a jumpers bumper and indeed the twice successful Irish trained Hurricane Fly wouldn't have that option in Ireland as they don't exist here so that puts a slightly different gloss on it.

With the way the weather seems to be influenced by the effects of global warming, we could see a lot more top class animals use this great initiative to stay fit in the run up to big festivals. In The first 2 weeks of February alone 14 meetings were lost both sides of the Irish Sea.

Fair play to the BHA.

I think David J is clearly joking and taking the mick out of those obsessed by stats.

As for Euro's latest - is there confirmation Annie P isn't running ?

Last edited:
Didn't hear anything about this. Quite the contrary in fact. I'd be very friendly with former Assistant Head lad Conor Murphy who's in Kentucky now but still keeps in contact weekly with 7 barrows and he said they're fairly bullish about MTOY chances. They rate OC as a huge danger.

It's all relative i suppose. :D

Fair play to the BHA.

:D :rolleyes:

Bumper post!

Un de sceaux

Timeform 168p
Rpr. 164
Or. 159

If mullins convince the owner not to run ,willie is a magician better than Leonardo di caprio with girls.

I reckon Leo is gonna have to a back seat to the Magician Mullins so...

Un De Sceaux currently available at 28.0 on Betfair.

Someone know's something!! Strongest indication yet that he will not run.

I reckon Leo is gonna have to a back seat to the Magician Mullins so...

Un De Sceaux currently available at 28.0 on Betfair.

Someone know's something!! Strongest indication yet that he will not run.
been that since sunday when mullins basically said he won't run

My Tent Or Yours is a big stats negative. There have been 83 Champion Hurdles, and none of them had their final race before the Champion Hurdle in a Jumpers Bumper.

What's that stats on horses who barked after the last in the previous years Supreme novice.

Last edited:
been that since sunday when mullins basically said he won't run

Hadn't noticed that. Thought he had only drifted from 15.0 to 20.0 ish on Sunday. But admittedly I didn't check the market again after Sunday night.

If you owned him how could you not run him!! Yet his chances of running now must be extremely slim.

You still holding out some hope suny?

Ruby Walsh on RUK today

"I saw him this morning at Willie Mullins’s and he obviously wasn’t doing very much after his run at the weekend when he won the Red Mills Trial Hurdle at Gowran Park.
He’s a horse that is very hard on himself, and is a horse that is maturing all the time mentally.
I just don’t know whether Willie feels that the Champion Hurdle is right for him right now.
Last year he was very highly strung, and the Champion Hurdle is the Champion Hurdle and a horse has to be physically, and mentally, right for it.
The whole parade, the start of the Champion Hurdle with 50,000 people in the grandstand – it is a test of a horse mentally and we’re just not sure he’s up to the task."

Translated as "we are a bit worried he might beat hurricane so best not to run him"

Or, super hyped horse, trained by top trainer and jock, never beaten anything of any note, not ready to run in biggest race of year, let's luck after our investment.

Common sense from a man who is a genius

Last edited:
Or, super hyped horse, trained by top trainer and jock, never beaten anything of any note, not ready to run in biggest race of year, let's luck after our investment.

Common sense from a man who is a genius

I'd tend to agree with that but it is a little too much with the whole Annie thing as well. Feels to me like they want the path as easy as possible.

Surely if a trainer has two (or more) horses with a real chance of wining a CH you run both, you don't rely on one, all manner of things can go wrong.

I'd tend to agree with that but it is a little too much with the whole Annie thing as well. Feels to me like they want the path as easy as possible.

Personally don't think Annie would cope with the top 4 either...despite the TF rating.

Back