Champion Hurdle 2015

They are all running for second. Race will be run a full pace... Faugheen won't come off the bridle. and he;ll be better going left imho.

He done it nice enough. Let's see what he's got when Jezki is sat on his heels.

Last edited:
Given the 147 rated Blue Heron set the pace, I can't agree with this. Likelihood is that all in opposition are some way short of CH class - we've learned next to nothing today.

He won as he should. Grade one horse v handicappers..

some queried a sharp two miles with him.

he has a real presence. Bit of xfactor about him. Hopefully hurricane keeps winning too and ruby has the call to make

Don't know what a horse has to do to get some of you guys excited.......Jezki and co won't see the way this guy goes at Cheltenham and there's more chance of me riding Hurricane Fly than Ruby Walsh.

Unless his wheels fall off this horse will settle the Champion Hurdle before they turn for home.

I was on earlier about how sudden injections of pace can win races and this horse has more gears than Jeremy Clarkson.

Hurricane Fly couldn't cope with Rock on Rubys he'd think he'd gone into orbit if trying to match this fellows speed from the top of the hill.

I could see the New One running on again at the finish and maybe reversing places with Jeski but neither are in this horses league.

Been a while since we saw a truly great Champion Hurdler and Faugheen fits the bill nicely imo

Last edited:
When has Faugheen ever displayed 'speed'? Form-wise, he has achieved something in the early-160's today. Whilst he was untroubled to do so, he will need to find a further half-stone, and will face horses who are in a different stratosphere talent-wise, who he won't be able to get off the bridle until the chips are down. I'm not ruling him out, but to start referring to him as a Champion Hurdler already - when he has no form at that level in the book - is premature at best, and cocktail-infused, oriental gibberish at worst.

Merry Xmas, chap. :)

Given the 147 rated Blue Heron set the pace, I can't agree with this. Likelihood is that all in opposition are some way short of CH class - we've learned next to nothing today.

It will be a few days before I get my teeth into the race but it looked to me like Blue Heron and Purple Bay were the only opponents looking to post a serious effort. I wonder how much connections of the others made by backing Faugheen. I imagine I'll be rating the race around those two and it looks to me like Blue Heron put up an improved effort and on lines with Purple Bay Faugheen will be very much the one to beat in March.

Yep, Henderson and Nicholls must've cleaned up backing Faugheen at 2/5. Keep smoking the crack DO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be a few days before I get my teeth into the race but it looked to me like Blue Heron and Purple Bay were the only opponents looking to post a serious effort.........I imagine I'll be rating the race around those two and it looks to me like Blue Heron put up an improved effort and on lines with Purple Bay Faugheen will be very much the one to beat in March.

Purple Bay's OR of 161 is the biggest handicapping hoot since Phil Smith's team gave Mahogany Blaze a 162 after the Connaught Chase a few years back.

Back on Planet Earth, Purple Bay is nearer 151, and Blue Heron looks
like a solid mid-140's handicapper, based on his two runs behind Garde La Victoire, and his defeat of there 140-rated Parlour Games (in receipt of weight). I would be extremely reticent to frame Faugheen's mark using Purple Bay's OR as an anchor, and whilst it's not inconceivable that BH has improved, there is danger in dragging him upwards, just to support a theory that Faugheen has run to a high mark.

I find the price cut on Faugheen on the back of yesterday's run really bizarre. He is a 6/4 best-price now, yet we found out absolutely nothing new. Much like Conti in the Gold Cup, the relative prices of yesterday's winner have been slashed for no good reason (that I can establish), and I've therefore laid Faugheen in the Champion Hurdle place market too at between 1.55 and 1.72.

Both can obviously win their respective races, but current prices are wrong in my view. Come the week before Cheltenham, both will be available at bigger Win & Place odds than they are right now, because they are the two most obvious ones for the books to go after.

Last edited:
Purple Bay's OR of 161 is the biggest handicapping hoot since Phil Smith's team gave Mahogany Blaze a 162 after the Connaught Chase a few years back.

Back on Planet Earth, Purple Bay is nearer 151, and Blue Heron looks
like a solid mid-140's handicapper, based on his two runs behind Garde La Victoire, and his defeat of there 140-rated Parlour Games (in receipt of weight). I would be extremely reticent to frame Faugheen's mark using Purple Bay's OR as an anchor, and whilst it's not inconceivable that BH has improved, there is danger in dragging him upwards, just to support a theory that Faugheen has run to a high mark.

I find the price cut on Faugheen on the back of yesterday's run really bizarre. He is a 6/4 best-price now, yet we found out absolutely nothing new. Much like Conti in the Gold Cup, the relative prices of yesterday's winner have been slashed for no good reason (that I can establish), and I've therefore laid Faugheen in the Champion Hurdle place market too at between 1.55 and 1.72.

Both can obviously win their respective races, but current prices are wrong in my view. Come the week before Cheltenham, both will be available at bigger Win & Place odds than they are right now, because they are the two most obvious ones for the books to go after.

Like I said, I won't be able to get my teeth into the value of the form until later in the week but if you don't rate PB I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise.

if you compare previous runnings of the race its not hard to put a mark on the winner..why would it take you until next week DO?..are you using parchment or summat?

I don't get the form instalment until then and I can't be arsed using the RP online facility as I like to see a full meeting in hard copy.

I look forward to your review, DO, because I think the mark is wholly unjustifiable myself.

Bring straw. :lol:

I use more than the daily results. That's why I wait for the instalment. I can relate that day's results to the rest of the season and previous seasons.

it doesn't take long to rate the performance..i just used 3 methods which i trust and get

Faugheen = 165+ for yesterdays win

speed at a certain point in the race didn't enter into the race for once as it was a true test at 2 miles..which this race usually isn't

will take a supreme effort for any hurdler to beat this one..although i wasn't that impressed with his actual hurdling

if there is an hurdler out there better than him..then someone will have to point me in that direction..as long as he jumps proficiently the CH is over basically

Last edited:
Back