Champion Stakes

Post Glorious Goodwood all you really have in two months is four days at York and then the Arc, the rest of it is just plain average.

But this comes back to original point. After Goodwood, south of the trent, there isnt really one day that has grabbed the imagination. And this is a failing. Bar York, August is dismal. But the point is that the UK flat racing season seems to disappear off the general sports coverage radar once early summer has passed

Last edited:
Sadly - the new stand has a lot to answer for- it is like a giant Wetherspoons too . Newmarket seemed to have a lot more atmosphere in the old days .

They should have a card full of Group 2's on the Saturday - £4 entry
A card full of Group 1s on the Sunday - £7 entry
Sunday should include Europe's most valuable race.
They should hold it on the outskirts of of the greatest city on earth.
They should sell ham and cheese baguettes.

Hold on ... :confused:

Exactly. There is so much room in the calender for this initiative. Post Glorious Goodwood all you really have in two months is four days at York and then the Arc, the rest of it is just plain average.

4 day York Ebor meeting
4 consecutive Sundays with Group 1s at Deauville
Prix du Moulin
Irish Champion Stakes day (excellent card)
Leger Meeting (4 day)
Irish Leger meeting with National Stakes
Arc trials weekend
Haydock Sprint Cup
Cambridgeshire meeting (with Middle Park and Cheveley Park meeting on friday)
QE2 Meeting
Arc 2 day meeting
Champions Day
Racing Post Trophy
Beresford Stakes
2 Year old Group 1s at a mile plus in France
European horses off to the Breeders Cup
Hong Kong
Japan
And this is only off the top of my head.

Or do you prefer Saturdays where the highlight is the Badger Ale Chase at Wincanton?

They should have a card full of Group 2's on the Saturday - £4 entry
A card full of Group 1s on the Sunday - £7 entry
Sunday should include Europe's most valuable race.
They should hold it on the outskirts of of the greatest city on earth.
They should sell ham and cheese baguettes.

You are a true innovator :D

EC,
My point was far from lazy and even further from inaccurate, if you had bothered to actually read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote.

I mentioned a list of horses who had been favourite or near that position, or in other words fancied horses for the Champions Stakes. I then said there were 3 reasons why these horses failed to fire. You have taken that in a black and white fashion whereas for example, Twice Over running in a conditions race and listed race is not the same 2 runs as say Fame and Glory running in the Irish Champion Stakes and Arc.

So, if you take top level runs prior to the Champion Stakes for the disappointing favourites I referred to:
Fame and Glory - had contested 4 Group 1s, plus 2 other Group races (and had a late season finish the season before), and his Group 1 races included 2 in 4 weeks just 2 weeks before the CS.
Notnowcato - Had contested 4 Group 1s, 5 races in all prior to the CS.
Hurricane Run - Had contested 4 Group 1s, 5 races in all prior to the CS and was generally past his best come the CS (form had been going down all year).
Oratorio - Had contested 6 Group 1s prior to the CS.

Now, if you look at the last 7 winners of this race (not going back further as wasn't following racing intensely then and hence hadn't that in mind when making my point):

Twice Over - had contested 3 Group 1s prior to the CS.
New Approach - had contested 5 Group 1s but had 3/4 of a stone in hand on his rivals. Unbelieveably hardy horse - something we knew at the time from his 2 year old days and ability to win Derby after running in 2 Guineas. However, an exception to my general point.
Literato - had contested 1 Group 1 prior to the CS.
Pride - had contested 3 Group 1s prior to the CS.
David Junior - had contested 1 Group 1 prior to the CS.
Haafhd - had contested 2 Group 1s prior to the CS.
Rakti - had contested 1 Group 1 prior to the CS.

now you are talking Hamm..thats the type of response i like..constructive and backed up with logic

i can't even argue with it:)

Very, very interesting. He's been my favourite horse, Goldikova aside, since early on last year, so really hoping he turns up.

Poet's Voice being supplemented ? Is this a cryptic sign from Darley they do not like the new champion stakes by pointedly running the last horse to win the QEII to come on and try and win the Champion .

Another illustration of why these changes are so misguided.

Await the Dawn would be an interesting runner but I just cannot see past Vision D'Etat for this. Battle hardened multiple group 1 winner who has had a very light campaign, handles soft ground and has been targeted at the race; it will take a good one to beat him and bar Await the Dawn (Who we just don't know how good he is) I think he has the measure of everything else in the field.

I got some money matched at 5's on the machine and I hope a few big guns do turn up so he goes off even bigger.

Alwaary (USA) 4.c
Await The Dawn (USA) 3.c
Debussy (IRE) 4.c
Fuisse (FR) 4.c
Gitano Hernando 4.c
Glass Harmonium (IRE) 4.c
Poet's Voice 3.c
Rainbow Peak (IRE) 4.g
Shimraan (FR) 3.c
Snow Fairy (IRE) 3.f
Sri Putra 4.c
Tazeez (USA) 6.g
Twice Over 5.h
Vision d'Etat (FR) 5.h
Wigmore Hall (IRE) 3.g

What is depressing is that with the cash injection they are giving it when it goes to Ascot it would be one hell of a race at its traditional home.

I've counted seven group or grade one winners in the field without even trying.

That means bugger all really. There are maybe three proper Group 1 animals in the field. And I'm not including Snow Fairy because this time of year classic fillies have gone.
How many Group 1 winners were in the Abbaye? It was still a Group 3 quality race.

Await the Dawn would be an interesting runner but I just cannot see past Vision D'Etat for this. Battle hardened multiple group 1 winner who has had a very light campaign, handles soft ground and has been targeted at the race; it will take a good one to beat him and bar Await the Dawn (Who we just don't know how good he is) I think he has the measure of everything else in the field.

I got some money matched at 5's on the machine and I hope a few big guns do turn up so he goes off even bigger.

Agree with you.

Twice Over weak in the market, and I think he's run in too many high class races.

Back