Champion Stakes

I was there in 91 when Terimon kind of stole it. They had ground issues that year, front runners winning most of the races.

I don't think Proclamation was lucky as such. He was regarded at the time as being an unbelievable prospect.

Goodwood wouldn't hold much more than 20,000 would it? You'd get twice that into York relatively comfortably.

Despite its shortcomings Royal Ascot will always remain the showpiece British meeting and so it should.

What about the Juddmonte where Maraheel was short headed?! Still funny to think of Richard Hills celebrating after he passed the line. About as well judged as most of his rides this season...

'98 Juddmonte? A field of 8 with something like 3 Group 1s between them. First three jockeys home banned for whip use. :blink: Best forgotten!

This is the same argument DJ is making re Sole Power in the Nunthorpe. How many Group 1s a horse has or a race contains if measured between the runners isn't necessarily a measure of quality. That particular renewal - coming a year after Singspiel had beaten Bosra Sham - was awful.

How many Group 1s a horse has or a race contains if measured between the runners isn't necessarily a measure of quality.

I think it's a decent indicator of the quality of a field when we're talking about a major all-aged contest, especially over middle-distances. York can't have been happy about the field that year, but most of the time they attract a quality lineup. Of course, it doesn't guarantee anything about the race itself!

I remember both Reel Buddy and Proclamation being lucky to win the Sussex Stakes.

Not sure if that happens so often at York. It is probably just my pocket talking (backed Soviet Song and Statue of Liberty).

I also backed Soviet Song in that Sussex but I think it's very harsh to desribe Proclamation as a "lucky" winner. As I recall it, they were both going for the same gap and Proclamation showed the better tactical speed to get to it first, in the process closing it on her. She was closing him down at the finish but never looked like getting there.

They also have Nathaniel at 7/2 and Twice Over at 6s (they do realise it's at Ascot surely)

The French gelding stands out a mile at 8/1.

Isn't Midday going for the Champion rather than the Fillies race - however with Queally on he will somehow manage to contrive to get her beaten , how he managed to lose the Coronation Cup in the light of SNA's subsequent performances ...- perhaps he will employ the Frankel tactics ?

Last edited:
Looking forward to this race more than the Arc. If you look at the Oddschecker list - if half of these turn up it will be a belter!

Looking forward to this race more than the Arc. If you look at the Oddschecker list - if half of these turn up it will be a belter!

Read the Sporting life cuttings - you will have very few of those near the top of the market on oddschecker. It will be no better than recent renewals at Newmarket, possibly worse.

Read the Sporting life cuttings - you will have very few of those near the top of the market on oddschecker. It will be no better than recent renewals at Newmarket, possibly worse.

If this is true (no reason to doubt it) there must be an ante-post angle here??

There will be OTB:

Think the "unlikely's" at the moment are So You Think, Await The Dawn, Reliable Man, Carlton House, Misty For Me, Snow Fairy and possibly a few others at bigger prices.

Leaves you with: Nathaniel (7/2) Cirrus Des Aigles (4/1), Twice Over (6/1), Midday (13/2), Dubai Prince (12/1), Green Destiny (16/1), French Navy (20/1)

Couldn't back either of the Abdullah horses myself so would leave you betting at 7/2, 4/1, 12/1, 16/1 and 20/1.

Reliable Man won't take part in the Arc if there is no rain. In that eventuality he is likely to be switched here. Currently freely available at 5/1.

Last edited:
Back