Champion Stakes

I cannot believe given how bad it is up here that it hasn't rained at Ascot. What a gigantic load of shite the end of this flat season has been.

Cheers IS. I was quite interested in Parish Hall, but am starting to think I may have over-estimated the impending improvement for his break and the fact that he will get his ground.

I will stick to my guns but very surprised at such a large price on him.

Nice call hezz. He may well be a Derby type... I've seen worse 16/1 shots at any rate.

Are we any nearer to finding the winner of this? Is the favourite a good thing or should we be taking him on?

I think the market for this has an odd look about it. SYT probably deserves to be favourite but Nathaniel looks too short (He has never run over 10f and i'm not convinced the drop back will help) whereas Snow Fairy, Midday, Twice Over and Cirrus Des Aigles look slightly overpriced. Added to that I really like Dubai Prince but he's probably about the right price or a tad short.

My short list at the moment is Midday, Snow Fairy and Dubai Prince.

Gone off Cirrus Des Aigles, Twice over won't be suited by the course and I don't know what it is about SYT but I just don't particularly want to back him at the prices.

So, don't know about anyone else, but i'm still not really sure!!!!

A 12f horse, 2 females and a gp2 horse his main opposition - amazed there's still 9/4 available!

This may be the way to look at it... do we not feel he might have done enough this season and be a little vulnerable to those that have been given an easier time and/or improving though?

Dubai Prince fits that bill. Snow Fairy is back to her best as well.

I think this is the best Champion Stakes for years. Far better field than the last couple of years.

Difficult race to call because of the ground, but So You think clear lay for me,
coming after a hard season, in a course he has been beaten before, after 2 hards race including a trip to france and not being even my top rated horse in the field.

He does, and I want to get him beat with the French gelding - but those other Coolmore horses had run below their best form in the race before the Champion - and I'm not sure So You Think really did because he came with a rattling good run.

The Cecil animals are in the race for the wrong, Championship chasing reasons, Nathaniel I can't have at all and Dubai Prince surely has too much of a step up in class to overcome. I'm not confident because of the ground but Cirrus is still the best value for me.

This race is a graveyard for favourites..many good horses at short prices have lost..just Nayef winning this century...the reason being it comes at the end of a hard season and is an afterthought for teh higher profile types.

Any horse at less than 5/2 is rank bad value in this race..they regularly run below par

sorry Bar..only just read your post

Last edited:
...I'm on Reliable Man but he's not running. So I'm digging myself out of a hole before I start. I can see Midday, Snow Fairy and Cirrus running big races, but SYT takes his racing well (AOB says he'd run him every week if he could). I'm probably best off cutting my losses and leaving it alone.

Am I mental for thinking Casamento could spring a shock in this? Looked as if he was coming back to his best in France and in a race full of horses who've had long hard seasons, I can see him getting involved.

Am I mental for thinking Casamento could spring a shock in this? Looked as if he was coming back to his best in France and in a race full of horses who've had long hard seasons, I can see him getting involved.

would he be too slow do you think?..a staying 2yo in similar vein to SNA?

winning an egg and spoon G3 over 10 wouldn't prove a liking for 10f imo.

That's what I thought but I just think a lot of the runners are vulnerable given the seasons they've had. Bubble Chic has come out and pissed up since too.

That's what I thought but I just think a lot of the runners are vulnerable given the seasons they've had. Bubble Chic has come out and pissed up since too.

tbh..i do think its a hard call trying to find the winner Stan..i usually have a nightmare in the race..so i think you are best to look at a big price one as you have done..it lessens the hurt if it loses

lumping on a shortie in the race is suicide imo

SYT won 3 gp1's in as many weeks last year, then proceeded to place in the Melbourne Cup just 3 days after the last of them.
For a 10f horse, he ran a blinder in the Arc, and I just don't see why he should be at all fazed by running in it.

Back