CHampions Day - Ascot

Today it's not about pounds and ratings and times, it's about what watching a horse like that makes you feel. Thank you and goodbye Frankel, it's been a pleasure and a privilege.

he was so relaxed he nodded off in the stalls according to TQ

a great moment in racing..and it looks like the rumours about running as him a 5yo aren't true

its been something else watching this horse

Last edited:
Today it's not about pounds and ratings and times, it's about what watching a horse like that makes you feel. Thank you and goodbye Frankel, it's been a pleasure and a privilege.

Agreed. That is precisely what the article I made reference to says.

Can't beleive Persad was so rude to Sir Henry by having the cheek to tell him 'we don't have much time'. Who's he kidding?

And McGrath couldn't see the horse got left at the stalls unitl just before Swindly bottom lol, what a joker.

Last edited:
Didn't sound like it to me! I thought the guy might be able to call what was effectively a 2 horse race without any troubles haha

Only on the beeb

Last edited:
I don't really see why Frankel's rating should be rised after today's racing. Through a line with Side glance and Indomito, Excelebration hasn't done today any better than finishing 4 or 5 lenghts behind Frankel in the past.
Frankel today hardly put a 134 or 135 performance for me. Cirrus would have beaten him on heavy ground.
For a moment I thought Frankel was in trouble and I found myself shouting for him as I didn't want him to be beaten, even though I didn't get involved in the race.
I hope he enjoys his retirement.

It was very very late, Hamm. I'd say the field had done 10 lengths from the stalls before he called it.

The bloke obviously takes his other duties such as journalism very seriously and so there should be other avenues for when he finally decides enough is enough.

As for Persad, I'd love to know what qualifies him for a 30 second slot every 20 minutes on the beeb's racing coverage, he really is that bad and insensative.

"As for Persad, I'd love to know what qualifies him for a 30 second slot every 20 minutes on the beeb's racing coverage, he really is that bad and insensative."

Believe his family are quite powerful in the Caribbean.

Great horse and a great race, but he was nearer the end of his tether today than he's been since the SJP. Pleased he's retired unbeaten though.

Will miss the Beeb - it won't be anytime soon we'll see 12 races on terrestrial TV again - even forgive Willie's boner "Fame And Glory should be dropped back to 12f as he doesn't get 2m". under the circumstances.:)

Great horse and a great race, but he was nearer the end of his tether today than he's been since the SJP. Pleased he's retired unbeaten though.

Will miss the Beeb - it won't be anytime soon we'll see 12 races on terrestrial TV again - even forgive Willie's boner "Fame And Glory should be dropped back to 12f as he doesn't get 2m". under the circumstances.:)

but he did give them a 4 length start..not ideal in a G1 race..which meant he wasted petrol early coming back to them..that would probably have meant that tap he got in the last furlong wouldn't have been necessary.

without the sleepy start i don't think he would have looked any different to his other wins

i didn't think he looked at the end of his tether though

its all academic now anyway..we've seen it all..and i know i won't see one as good as him again

EC1, It's simple really. I blame the soft ground for Frankel's bellow par performance. He was travelling good but didn't pick up as he used to on better ground in the past. We know Cirrus would have run to the same if not better level on heavy ground but I doubt Frankel would have.
As it any hypothetical scenario I cannot be certain about it but I think Frankel would have been beaten on heavy ground today.

EC1, It's simple really. I blame the soft ground for Frankel's bellow par performance. He was travelling good but didn't pick up as he used to on better ground in the past. We know Cirrus would have run to the same if not better level on heavy ground but I doubt Frankel would have.
As it any hypothetical scenario I cannot be certain about it but I think Frankel would have been beaten on heavy ground today.

i keep on about it..but don't underestimate the sleepy start..it cost him in that ground..he also wasted energy going on the outside whilst CDA had the perfect trip

on this ground i think if both horses had had similar trips Frankel would have won by about 5 lengths imo

i think 5 in front of CDA isn't that much of an underperformance tbh

Would 133/134 be his expected rating on the BHA scale for today's race? Fits nicely with those in behind.

Frankel wouldn't have been running on heavy ground today, as Teddy made clear yesterday, so it's doubly hypothetical/academic/pointless to speculate [delete as applicable].

Would 133/134 be his expected rating on the BHA scale for today's race? Fits nicely with those in behind.

yes i think thats fair..as said..with a better trip add another 5lbs ish..but what does it matter now?..he beat the best 10f horse in the world on that surface..and went about it in a harder way than ideal.

Last edited:
It come to something when a pretty easy 2 length win after a bad start is described as below par? Understandble i know

Of course its all down to previous expectations, but i think it needs a sense of perspective. Many of the greats mentioned in many previous threads routinely only won by that distance.

Last edited:

I agree

correct Clive...ignoring his poor start explains a lot..would have got most horses beaten at G1 level

i thought Cirrus was at his best on soft..now all of a sudden it MUST be heavy..and yet he won this race last year on Good

Last edited:
I think Cirrus would have won if the race was run on custard. Frankel's breeding suggests a non-Newtonian fluid wouldn't be to his liking.

Just got back from the track, great day although could have done without the roadworks on the A329, which meant the last couple of miles took an hour and missed the first race!!

Cirrus had the perfect trip and ground which would have favoured him (it was very soggy underfoot) and Frankel still cruised up on the bridle. It wasn't the usual turbo but I think Cirrus ran right up to his best and he was still beaten a comfortable 2 lengths after being given a head start. Shame it wasn't better ground as I think we would have seen something very special.

I'm just glad he won and I was there to see it.

Back