CHampions Day - Ascot

Good news reet. Cda is drifting a bit too

Ive never had a penny on frankel or a penny against him. Doesnt matter at all to me either way. All we want today is to see the greatest horse of our lifetimes complete the full set (before premature retirement)

Betting is overrated anyway. Seeing great sport is what it should be all about. No horse has ever stunned and dazzled like this one. It was clear right from the royal lodge that this was something extraordinary

One last point. For all the criticism of cecils conservative campaigning (justified i believe), hes done a masterful job in getting this headstrong powerhouse to settle so beautifully in his races. A great trainer

I agree with your point on betting and have nothing on today. The Arc meeting which i was at was the only time I bet on horses in the last 5 months.

I want CDA to win though.

Yes hamm. I actually think an obsession with betting takes away from the enjoyment of what will always be a fascinating sport. Some seem compelled to find an angle everywhere. I am quite happy to habe just 2 or 3 bets at a meeting and perhaps just one of any value ( which is low enough in my case)

Im off to kempton tomorrow for a decent card and first nh of the season. Cant wait.

WillHill seems prepared to take a £100,000 punt against Frankel.
From Twitter at 10:00am:
"From 13:55 the Priority Price is Evens Frankel in the Champion Stakes. 10,000 bets. Max £10. Don't miss out - http://ht.ly/eBYn7 "

Good piece here on using times from earlier races to gauge the going http://betting.betfair.com/horse-ra...of-the-early-races-can-tell-us-201012-43.html

Yes, but the difficulty (touched on) is that if the jockeys in the earlier races have some kind of preconception - as often happens when the ground is soft - that the going is softer than it really is, then they'll go slower, giving a false impression. My own reading of soft-ground times keeps drawing me to the conclusion that the times get faster as the day progresses, as it eventually dawns on jockeys that the ground isn't as tiring as they thought earlier.

Yes, but the difficulty (touched on) is that if the jockeys in the earlier races have some kind of preconception - as often happens when the ground is soft - that the going is softer than it really is, then they'll go slower, giving a false impression. My own reading of soft-ground times keeps drawing me to the conclusion that the times get faster as the day progresses, as it eventually dawns on jockeys that the ground isn't as tiring as they thought earlier.

they were hitting 35 mph there so i think they went a fair pace

3.35.98 for the first suggests soft not heavy ground

DO

You can either try to make sense of the times as they come through race by race, or rely on what the riders and the clerk of the course say. Neither is foolproof, but I know which I prefer.

I've had 250 @ 4/1 142+ and 110 @ 6/4 on exactly 141 for Frankel's end of season rating. they can raise him on the basis of his form with Excelebration.

Excelebration was 4th on his debut. Since then only one other horse apart from Frankel has finished in front of him in 14 runs.

Excelebration was 4th on his debut. Since then only one other horse apart from Frankel has finished in front of him in 14 runs.

Perfect excuse for the handicapper to bump up the form of their meetings. 4/1 is a rick.

Absolutely fantastic. With a perfect start it would have been easier still. He handled the ground just fine

Back