CHampions Day - Ascot

Unbeaten in fourteen starts.
Nine of those starts were Group 1 races.
He's beaten 60 individual winners of 243 races.
He's beaten 22 Group 1 winners of 49 Group 1 races.
He's beaten 40 horses who between them won 130 Group races.

He really is King of the Turf.

Just watched the replay. If the sectionals are to be believed the last furlong was the fastest, only sub 12sec furlong of the race. I'd be interested to see his and Cirrus' final 3 sectionals.

I rate

cirrus 134
Nathaniel 130
Pastorius 124

So Frankel goes to 137 and 3 pounds for a 2 lengths start, he posted a 140

Cirrus is able to run to that mark on heavy ground

Frankel with this performance today is the best I have seen and almost sure the best I will see

top class at 2,3 and 4
top class over 8 and 10f

with the class to win a July Cup and Arc in the same season

amazing how able to post 140 or better so many times

the horse with most sense of invincibilty I have seen

much better than Excelecbration and able to beat Cirrus on soft ground not at his best.

In the Guineas , as a friend of mine told me, "we have feel anew sensation in racing",

For me, the BEST EVER

What did Excelecbration run to today on your figures abd was it a PB?

I rate

cirrus 134
Nathaniel 130
Pastorius 124

So Frankel goes to 137 and 3 pounds for a 2 lengths start, he posted a 140

Cirrus is able to run to that mark on heavy ground

Frankel with this performance today is the best I have seen and almost sure the best I will see

top class at 2,3 and 4
top class over 8 and 10f

with the class to win a July Cup and Arc in the same season

amazing how able to post 140 or better so many times

the horse with most sense of invincibilty I have seen

much better than Excelecbration and able to beat Cirrus on soft ground not at his best.

In the Guineas , as a friend of mine told me, "we have feel anew sensation in racing",

For me, the BEST EVER

DO

You can either try to make sense of the times as they come through race by race, or rely on what the riders and the clerk of the course say. Neither is foolproof, but I know which I prefer.
I tend not to set much store by what CsoC say and I sometimes wonder if asking winning jockeys is going to get you an accurate answer.

Between the Flat and NH racing, there are about 14000 races a year in GB&I. Plenty of them aren't run on soft and provide punters with no shortage of better betting opportunities than trying to figure out the going on a race by race basis.

I didn't even look at Ascot today.

Slim - don't bank on Excelebration's OR affecting Frankel. Frankel's two 140 ORs are not contingent on Excelebration as he was beaten too far in the Queen Anne (after trying to go with Frankel) and wasn't in the Juddmonte International. They'd have to go back and raise Frankel on the basis of the Lockinge or last year, and I don't see that happening. If Frankel is going to get 142 on the WTRR it will be purely based on whatever arbitrary extra the official handicappers decide to give him when they sit down together in December.

bugger..was a 1lb out on both

its making me laugh how a horse throws a 147 in and then is automatically expected to replicate it every run..or he's run "below his best" like he has disappointed in some way..we know he hasn't run a 147..but that doesn't mean he couldn't have under ideal conditions.

that 139 still doesn't so him justice today as nothing will have been added to allow for the poor trip i wouldn't think

like Clive said..some of those in the past didn't run their highest ever figure every time they ran...i doubt anyone ever said Brigadier Gerard has run below par many times..except when he lost..something that Frankel has never done.

Last edited:
Also just back , too many people and not enough control.
He didn't need to win by 10 lengths, he didn't like the ground but he was always in control and had enough in hand.
Lovely to see the two of them come back together (BT and Frankel) and lovely to get a smile and a thank from Ian Mongan all alone in the unsaddling area.
I believe race goers have been fortunate to see him this year when other owners may have retired him after last year. He is one of the all time greats and it's been a privilege.

Slim - don't bank on Excelebration's OR affecting Frankel. Frankel's two 140 ORs are not contingent on Excelebration as he was beaten too far in the Queen Anne (after trying to go with Frankel) and wasn't in the Juddmonte International. They'd have to go back and raise Frankel on the basis of the Lockinge or last year, and I don't see that happening. If Frankel is going to get 142 on the WTRR it will be purely based on whatever arbitrary extra the official handicappers decide to give him when they sit down together in December.

Do you recall how pleased Smith was that all of his colleagues universally agreed that 140 was the figure for York. Will they all want to go back on that? Reassessing the Lockinge at least allows them to save face.

bugger..was a 1lb out on both

its making me laugh how a horse throws a 147 in and then is automatically expected to replicate it every run..or he's run "below his best" like he has disappointed in some way..we know he hasn't run a 147..but that doesn't mean he couldn't have under ideal conditions.

that 139 still doesn't so him justice today as nothing will have been added to allow for the poor trip i wouldn't think

like Clive said..some of those in the past didn't run their highest ever figure every time they ran...i doubt anyone ever said Brigadier Gerard has run below par many times..except when he lost..something that Frankel has never done.

It's a mark of how special Frankel is that we think of today's performance as just 139.

Back at Heathrow and waiting my flight home. It was quite a day with a 2 hour delay this morning threatening to ruin the fun. The traffic was nuts, but thankfully we got in just in time to see the first, but thankfully not bet as I wouldn't have had that. Maarek set the day up beautifully (bizarre, but I had to stick with him after following him all year, including getting beaten in a listed race at the Curragh 6 days ago).
Excelebration was visually beautiful and you really didn't need to have a bet to enjoy Frankel. Great stuff and great to be there.
That was my first time at Ascot and I fully intend going back.

Do you recall how pleased Smith was that all of his colleagues universally agreed that 140 was the figure for York. Will they all want to go back on that? Reassessing the Lockinge at least allows them to save face.

Hawk Wing aside, it's usually rare for an early season race to give such high figures, no? Easy to put both horses down as improving as the season went on.

I think (this isn't meant to provoke before i get called further names) there is zero chance of Frankel being raised to 142 and Ladbrokes prices were in fact correct.

I think the point was more that, has there ever been a horse whos performance in Pretty comfirtably beating perhaps the next best middle distance perfomer around, in that horses prefered conditions, given a start etc etc

...and that performance is described as below par

The key thing here is if that had been any of the great horses of recent times, it would be hailed as a fantastic victory. The fact that it was almost taken for granted emphasises why hes the best of them all

Last edited:
Working today so watching on tape. Mcgrath and Carson absolutely appalling. Rite of Passage not mentioned till about 100 yards out. And Fame and Glory doesn't get 2 miles and should return to 12f? Willie obviously doesn't recognise when a horse has simply gone. With all due respect to Sir Henry I think Weld is the best trainer with runners at this meeting today.

Horses like Frankel rarely run below par - circumstances alter (and raters guess how much they've altered by).

Fair points. I've covered on 141 so I hopeful they'll feel obliged to find a way to bump him up.

There's enough egg on faces on this thread to contest the largest omelette world record! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back