Cheltenham 2016/2017

@Ardoss, SS never raced at 11. I also heard a reporter saying that he was 15 or so when winning something, exaggerating his age in a stupid manner, like they do. In human dates he was actually just 9 when winning his last CC and turned exactly 10 when he had his last race.

He was 10 in horse years when he won last year - my point is the fact he was 11 on 1/1/17 does not mean he could not win the CC - Moscow Flyer won the race at 11 . Douvan has never met a rival with anything like Sprinter's form last year let alone in 2013

Dodging Bullets who won a QMCC.......No lets keep him in

Let's look at what he's been doing lately.............Oh my he's lost by 10L....27L to SS... 16L.... 11L was P/U then he kept up the good work and lost by 12L... 24L to UDS and 18L to Altior

So no we cant omit him we have to thnk that UDS beat him 6 lengths further than Altior and Sprinter Sacre beat him by 9 lengths further by your reckoning Altior isn't as good as UDS stable companion to Douvan........who I keep telling you beat a very good horse in Sizing John.............oh now look whats happened Sizing John just won the Irish Gold Cup.

You keep me amused if nothing else

Just heard on R4 - there's a 4 drink limit for the Festival, and free water for all.:lol:

Last edited:
Bored at work and though I'd have a play about with previous festival winners going in again. Results are since 1990.

Overall 77 winners from 563 had previously won at the festival.

The majority of those, as you might expect, came in the 3 Championship races. The Stayers and the Mares features heavily due to a couple of horses (Inglis Drever, Big Bucks and Quevega).

Just looking at the top 4 missing those 2 races out, you have:

[TABLE="width: 246"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Champion Chase
[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]14
[/TD]
[TD]10 x Arkle Trophy, 4 x Champion Chase, 2 x Grand Annual
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Champion Hurdle
[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]11
[/TD]
[TD]4 x Champion Hurdle, 6 x Neptune, 2 x Supreme, 1 x Triumph, 1 x County Hurdle
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gold Cup
[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]9
[/TD]
[TD]3 x Gold Cup, 5 x RSA Chase, 1 x Ryanair, 1 x Spa Hurdle
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]RSA Chase
[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4
[/TD]
[TD]2 x Spa Hurdle, 1 x Bumper, 1 x Martin Pipe
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Statue of AP to be unveiled on Champion Hurdle day, it will stand on the Best Mate plaza

AP%20statue_zpsg0afja2z.jpg
]

Some Twitter quotes from the Paul Nicholls festival press morning:

Dodging Bullets - ideal for Grand Annual
Zarkander – World Hurdle intended runner
Old Guard – Coral Cup
Movewiththetimes – Supreme (high hopes)
Dream Catching – Fred Winter
Romain De Senak – Nov handicap Chase
Saphir Du Rheu - almost certain to run in the Gold Cup

Some Twitter quotes from the Paul Nicholls festival press morning:

Dodging Bullets - ideal for Grand Annual
Zarkander – World Hurdle intended runner
Old Guard – Coral Cup
Movewiththetimes – Supreme (high hopes)
Dream Catching – Fred Winter
Romain De Senak – Nov handicap Chase
Saphir Du Rheu - almost certain to run in the Gold Cup
I was very taken by dreamcatching on Saturday, with a view to the Fred Winter. There's 12/1 available NRNB at the moment, but I find it hard to pull the trigger on a bet without knowing his OR or weight. I'd be hoping for lower than OR 135. He's also entered in the Adonis this weekend, priced at 14/1. Anyone know if he's an intended runner in this?

Moulin A Vent is a horse I've followed closely this season & he runs today at Thurles in the 3.00 Grade 3 Michael Purcell Hurdle. He has some very likeable form including his last race when 4th behind Death Duty, Monalee & Invitation Only. He also ties in with more graded form having beaten Brelade earlier this season, since placed in 2 grade ones and Runfordave who was 3rd in the Moscow Flyer behind Any Second Now.

He is 50/1 NRNB for both the Neptune & Albert Bartlett & you'd imagine if he won today (he really ought to) he won't be anywhere near that price. Both races taken as NRNB and 10/3 taken last night for todays race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Shouldn't really have lost there going down a length to Tin Soldier. Flanagan had him a bit all over the shop down the home straight before getting cut off up the inside after the last. Cut for the Potato race all the same to 33s, 25s in places. Looks like he could do with further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back