Cheltenham 2018/2019

Overall the meeting is superbly managed and I'll certainly be back, so the random comments below should be taken in context.

It seems to me there is a growing emphasis on getting boozed up and the female share of the attendance is declining. Increase numbers are all very well, but this is something to keep an eye on.

The race cards are useless, they contain almost no information and no form.

The standard of service in bars and many of the food and coffee stalls is embarrassing. Is it really economic to staff these operations entirely with people who have never done the job before and never will again?

Overall the meeting is superbly managed and I'll certainly be back, so the random comments below should be taken in context.
The standard of service in bars and many of the food and coffee stalls is embarrassing. Is it really economic to staff these operations entirely with people who have never done the job before and never will again?
I would say that across most of the racecourses I have attended, the service is diabolical, slow, lack of work commitment and knowledge; have had instances of staff not knowing what a St Clements was, a shandy or how to pour one - I ended up doing it for them after they had wasted 2 pints of beer, or Port. Many years ago I worked at Royal Ascot in the Owners' Restaurant on the bar the waiting staff were catering students who were without exception lazy and useless. RA must have lost so much money that week as they consistently failed to write down the drinks people were ordering and the cheapest bottle of champagne alone was £65 even then.

It seems to me there is a growing emphasis on getting boozed up and the female share of the attendance is declining. Increase numbers are all very well, but this is something to keep an eye on.

The race cards are useless, they contain almost no information and no form.

Well you need to email the racecourse really so they are aware of public views.

I would say that across most of the racecourses I have attended, the service is diabolical, slow, lack of work commitment and knowledge; have had instances of staff not knowing what a St Clements was, a shandy or how to pour one - I ended up doing it for them after they had wasted 2 pints of beer, or Port. Many years ago I worked at Royal Ascot in the Owners' Restaurant on the bar the waiting staff were catering students who were without exception lazy and useless. RA must have lost so much money that week as they consistently failed to write down the drinks people were ordering and the cheapest bottle of champagne alone was £65 even then.

The last time I went racing (Ayr - an RUK day during the flat season just past) one of the bar staff didn't appear to know how to pour a pint of beer. One of the more senior staff had to stand next to him and talk him through it.... after the fourth race.

Hadn't really thought about it until I read Kevin Blake's blog but there were 14 Irish bred winners and 14 French bred this year. Not one winner for British bred thoroughbreds, wonder how much of a trend that will be in the next few years.

Ref: Punting

I picked up a new set of Ping irons + new bag and sundries on Saturday afternoon and the cost was €10 less than I had credited back to my card from various betting sites the night before. So I have something tangible to measure my small wins from last week. I have nicknamed them 'Topofmegame.'

Talking about reviews, I've got more than a toe in the water of my own but took time out this evening to watch the recordings of the Festival.

I've just watched the Thursday again.

So far I'd been fast-forwarding past the inane shite of the presenters, fashionistas and the truly godawful social stable and focusing on the races and jockey's post-race reactions where little nuggets can be sieved clear of the dross.

Thursday's programme so far has been largely an exception. Geraghty's brilliance on Defi Du Seuil and Sire Du Berlais supported by superb runs from Lostintranslation and Tobefair was an exhilarating start to the day but then we had Frodon and Frost followed by her post-race interview. I don't think I've ever seen a better one made all the better perhaps because she didn't let that twonk Oli Bell get a word in until she'd had her say.

And what a say.

Then we had Paisley Park, his story and his performance. We've seen wider-margin winners of the Stayers' Hurdle but this was a deep race and he just ran away from them, ears pricked, despite almost doing an Annie Power at the last.

At this point I'm saying to myself, "No wonder you enjoyed that day so much."

Then I realised Siruh Du Lac and Lizzie Kelly were still to come. I'm saving that for tomorrow evening.

It's maybe just as well for me that Concertista isn't in the recording. That might have spoiled it sightly.

But at least I'll know if I'm ever fed up and there's nothing on TV, I'll have those three hours of sheer racing brilliance to watch again.

Talking about reviews, I've got more than a toe in the water of my own but took time out this evening to watch the recordings of the Festival.

I've just watched the Thursday again.

So far I'd been fast-forwarding past the inane shite of the presenters, fashionistas and the truly godawful social stable and focusing on the races and jockey's post-race reactions where little nuggets can be sieved clear of the dross.

Thursday's programme so far has been largely an exception. Geraghty's brilliance on Defi Du Seuil and Sire Du Berlais supported by superb runs from Lostintranslation and Tobefair was an exhilarating start to the day but then we had Frodon and Frost followed by her post-race interview. I don't think I've ever seen a better one made all the better perhaps because she didn't let that twonk Oli Bell get a word in until she'd had her say.

And what a say.
Yes and she's just fantastic, you could listen to her all day. It's not Dettori - me me me - it's just brilliant. She is so fantastic bless her. Long may she be around.

Last edited:
I watched the race again this evening with the sound turned off, which I often do just to eliminate any sense of sensationalism from commentators.

I haven't analysed the Thursday times yet but it looked to me like Frodon got quite a soft lead for a long way and was idling once he got to the front again after the last.

I accept I'm probably wrong because Frost's version is brilliant listening but I just wonder.

I watched the race again this evening with the sound turned off, which I often do just to eliminate any sense of sensationalism from commentators.

I haven't analysed the Thursday times yet but it looked to me like Frodon got quite a soft lead for a long way and was idling once he got to the front again after the last.

I accept I'm probably wrong because Frost's version is brilliant listening but I just wonder.

I think he was idling when he won the what ever at the previous meeting and still could have won the GC, and he wasn't fit. Racing TV reply have an emotional Nicholls afterwards which is rare to see. ITV - put a mic on Bryony for a race - how brilliant would
that be?

I think he was idling when he won the what ever at the previous meeting and still could have won the GC, and he wasn't fit. Racing TV reply have an emotional Nicholls afterwards which is rare to see. ITV - put a mic on Bryony for a race - how brilliant would
that be?

I think the only reason his previous race looked hard work was because he wasn't fit but I'll see if I can find the replay at the JC site.

For the last couple of days I've been unable to access the RUK site for their replays.

I'll believe he's a not a Gold Cup winner waiting to happen when he runs in the race and doesn't win.

I think the only reason his previous race looked hard work was because he wasn't fit but I'll see if I can find the replay at the JC site.

For the last couple of days I've been unable to access the RUK site for their replays.

I'll believe he's a not a Gold Cup winner waiting to happen when he runs in the race and doesn't win.

Me too re the GC. and think PN regretting the decision. I have a Skybet account through the SP website, only ever put one bet on it about 5 years ago but can watch all the replays on there, although grates every time I watch it that they say Coolanly up against soft opposition, but call me bias.................. :)

I recommend you listen to the Final Furlong ATR Podcast if you like Blake, Dessie. If you don't do the whole Podcast/Smartphone thing it is easily available on attheraces.co.uk.

It is flawed in many ways and suffers badly from intermittent immaturity from the anchor presenter, but it can be compelling and stimulating listening.

At the moment they have 2 podcasts reviewing Cheltenham - Day 1 and 2 - KB with Jane Mangan (exceptionally listenable broadcaster - 10/10) and Day 3 and 4 with Nick Luck. Blake's reflections on Sir Erec given his proximity to the stable was very interesting.

Give it a a listen and your review here please!

Last edited:
TFF Podcasts, if you ignore the aforementioned anchor man, can be very good but IMO they excel when they stray from the horse tipping and do reviews and discuss other issues, such as the episode recently on the equine flu drama.

Blake is superb and clearly extremely knowledgable and is more than adept at adding humour where required but in fair measure, unlike Kennedy.

What does annoy me in the tipping podcasts is the disregard shown to the British horses. I listened to the festival handicap previews, mainly because Rory was involved and after he had (correctly) dismissed Give Me a Copper's chances in the Ultima I think they managed to cover the rest of that race, the Close Bros, Pertemps and Fred Winter without mentioning a single British horse.

I understand that the Irish scene is where their strengths primarily lie but I was interested to hear Rory and Kevin's opinions on at least a couple of the British horses too.

Back