Cheltenham 2018/2019

Closeness to Cheltenham, priority of the meeting, few lbs extra from the handicapper

All good points, make a lot of sense. I’m happy I chose the right horse, just backed it for the wrong race! All part of the learning curve in this game though I suppose.

It's just so hard to believe the festival starts this day 2 weeks! Struggling to get my head around it!
Especially with so many horses we haven't seen in months or with only 1 run all season! Or worse - not sighted at all - Percy(over fences), Penhill & Benie Des Dieux. That's 2 favs & and a 2nd Fav for 3 of the big races! (Assuming AJ & Laurina are both CH bound!)
Granted, people can turn to the fact that Penhill has previous and Benie, like Quvega, could just turn up and win FTO - But Benie had 3 runs before last years festival with a final tune up 4 weeks prior to winning the mares. Throw the recent equine flu and vaccination piece into the mix and we really have an exceptionally difficult task as punters for the festival.

Last edited:
Staying up around the Prestbury area this year. Any good recommendations of good watering hole for the Monday on arrival, either there or Cheltenham in general?

We hit the Brewery Quarter last year but it was very quiet the Monday evening, the town itself seemed quieter last year.

I miss O’Neills on Montpellier. That used be some spot the Monday before the festival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks DG. I noticed that on maps there. Would there be a decent crowd around? Last year in the Brewery Quarter we were the only 4 inside on of the pubs there at 7pm.

Have you noticed the town gone quieter the past few years or is it just me DG? I wonder have the coach tours, which have become a lot more popular over the last few years, shipping folk off to Bristol or Birmingham hotels immediately after the last race had a big affect on the town at night?

Have you noticed the town gone quieter the past few years or is it just me DG? I wonder have the coach tours, which have become a lot more popular over the last few years, shipping folk off to Bristol or Birmingham hotels immediately after the last race had a big affect on the town at night?

A lot quiter KA but Cheltenham's not alone in that. The main route through town is now closed to all but buses and taxis at what's known as Boots Corner, so people tend to head to other areas on the outskirts where there's cheaper, or in some cases, free parking. I believe some of the TH gang frequent the Norwood Arms at the top of Bath Road, that would be a relatively short taxi ride from your accommodation. Wouldn't go near the rail station, lots of drunken behaviour last year which threatened to get out of hand.

tiggers1972 is a native here too, he may have some suggestions.

Last edited:
A lot quiter KA but Cheltenham's not alone in that. The main route through town is now closed to all but buses and taxis at what's known as Boots Corner, so people tend to head to other areas on the outskirts where there's cheaper, or in some cases, free parking. I believe some of the TH gang frequent the Norwood Arms at the top of Bath Road, that would be a relatively short taxi ride from your accommodation. Wouldn't go near the rail station, lots of drunken behaviour last year which threatened to get out of hand.

Thanks DG. I thought that alright re night time. I’ll be sure to check out those pubs. A bit of atmosphere is what you want at night time. Thanks for all the recommendations folks.

Feathered Fish is a fair boozer too, though straight after racing it can get too busy as it's the first pub on the way back to town from the course. Tailors's is always decent , decent live music and great atmosphere, that's town centre too.
Going up Montpelier way Door 4 is also good.

Beehive in Montpelier is where our gang hang out/ end up most nights.
Good atmosphere but can be too loud for an ould lad like me !
Near and all as Norwood Arms is to us we have never been in there.
Must call this year.

A fair few of us meet each morning and after racing at the Plough in Prestbury each day KA. Grasshopper, Frontrunner, Digger, and myself, plus a few guest appearances from others across the week usually.

Have an enjoyable and hopefully profitable festival, Paul. For personal reasons I can't get there this year but I want to come again in 2020.

Last edited:
A fair few of us meet each morning and after racing at the Plough in Prestbury each day KA. Grasshopper, Frontrunner, Digger, and myself, plus a few guest appearances from others across the week usually.

Cheers Maruco. Must make an appearance. It’s close enough to he accommodation.

Anyone hear anything on if Mullins is bringing horses to Leopardstown for a school/gallop after racing today?

Back