Cheltenham 2020 / 2021

Pushing it back would surely impact Aintree or Punchestown though, so not convinced that option would necessarily be supported.

If Irish horses aren’t allowed to travel, I reckon they’d look to go ahead. The meeting would still be on the bowl, which is what matters to most of the sponsors, and the betting industry (who provide much of the sponsorship), would likely support it going ahead - voiding ante-post bets on Irish horses, probably being preferable to handing all of it back in the event of a cancellation..
Dont agree Grassy, if the Irish horses are not in a position to travel and all AP bets on said horses are voided, then the bookies are screwed, having no way of applying Rule 4s to the english horses.

Dont agree Grassy, if the Irish horses are not in a position to travel and all AP bets on said horses are voided, then the bookies are screwed, having no way of applying Rule 4s to the english horses.

It just wouldn't matter. All the voided stakes would just be recycled and the English horses are so bad a few races would have no winner...

Last edited:
You have to think bigger picture here. No sponsor will want a festival without Irish horses. They will push the meeting back or not hold it at all.

TV exposure is all that matters for sponsors.

We would only need ITV to go all-out with its coverage to compensate for the absence of Irish runners.

The King George had a terrestrial TV audience of something like 1.5m. That would be of huge appeal to sponsors.

Not sure Stephens/Boxing Day and a working Tuesday would be quite the same.

I don't think they would postpone it. Would feel more like aintree or sandown though.

Last edited:

We would only need ITV to go all-out with its coverage to compensate for the absence of Irish runners.

The King George had a terrestrial TV audience of something like 1.5m. That would be of huge appeal to sponsors.

No Irish horses would have no viewers and it would be **** upon on social media which is a big part of any sponsorship deal.

I think you really are underestimating the appeal of this minus irish horses and participation

I'm not underestimating it at all, I don't think. Every year it's the Irish that make the festival what it is.

Between the horses and punters - probably more the latter than the former - the friendly invasion becomes a proper sporting occasion.

But this is likely to be a one-off scenario. By this time next year 95% of us will have been vaccinated and things will be nearly back to what we might consider normal.

For this one meeting, we could probably afford to allow established sponsors to pick up their ball and sulk off home. Much as I crab the ITV coverage, the figures are saying they are getting more people watching the sport and that in itself will bring new sponsors to test the water.

I suspect deep down a few of the bigger, honest owners and trainers who campaign their horses honestly for the festival will be relieved that they wouldn't finish second or third to one or two horses who have had regular visits from Alberto Salazar :)

How can you not run the festival without Irish horses if racing has a green light to continue?

Loss of bookmaker turnover would be massive which would only serve to hit racing’s finances even further. Unfavourable ante post positions would be a pittance in the overall scheme.

BHA would be open to legal challenges were it to pursue this route.

Hard to believe it will come to this but Irish challengers are part of the spirit of the festival rather than letter.

How can you not run the festival without Irish horses if racing has a green light to continue?

Loss of bookmaker turnover would be massive which would only serve to hit racing’s finances even further. Unfavourable ante post positions would be a pittance in the overall scheme.

BHA would be open to legal challenges were it to pursue this route.

Hard to believe it will come to this but Irish challengers are part of the spirit of the festival rather than letter.

This

I'd normally bet around £500 over the 4 days that would be at least halved if there's no Irish trained horses

Would be a disaster for punters if they couldn't travel over

My money would have been on B365 being the first up but I expect them and Sky to follow soon.

Think they’re getting ready, some horses been clipped for markets they’re not likely to run in. Hence people reading too much into Imperial Auras price is the Gold Cup market.

Be NRNB by Monday I reckon.

Looks like they've finalised the running order for the Festival

Tuesday
1.30 Sky Bet Supreme Novices’ Hurdle
2.10 Sporting Life Arkle Chase
2.50 Ultima Handicap Chase
3.30 Unibet Champion Hurdle
4.10 Close Brothers Mares’ Hurdle
4.50 Boodles Juvenile Handicap Hurdle
5.30 National Hunt Chase

Wednesday
1.30 Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle
2.10 Festival Novices’ Chase
2.50 Coral Cup
3.30 Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase
4.10 Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase
4.50 Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Handicap Chase
5.30 Weatherbys Champion Bumper

Thursday
1.30 Marsh Novices’ Chase
2.10 Pertemps Network Final
2.50 Ryanair Chase
3.30 Paddy Power Stayers' Hurdle
4.10 Brown Advisory & Merriebelle Stable Plate
4.50 Daylesford Mares' Novices’ Hurdle
5.30 Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Handicap Chase

Friday
1.30 JCB Triumph Hurdle
2.10 Randox Health County Handicap Hurdle
2.50 Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle
3.30 Magners Cheltenham Gold Cup
4.10 St James’s Place Foxhunter Chase
4.50 Mrs Paddy Power Mares' Chase
5.30 Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys' Handicap Hurdle

Sort of articles I love.

If you just read the Racing Post, Cheltenham would be off and we’ll all be probably dead coke end of the year.

As with most things the truth probably lies somewhere in between, the Irish Times Article is nothing more than an opinion piece, with not a single relevant quote from anyone, let alone anyone reputable.

I see racing post has article on Kim Bailey re, Imperial Aura. What he's saying about this horse before Saturday run? I don't subscribe to the racing post.

Says he's excited :lol:

If he had a pair he'd take on this average Gold Cup field.

Looking at the festival this season, the championship races seem so predetermined.

I wonder if any bookies will just pay out beforehand or stop taking bets.

Aren't one horse races boring?

We're going to need a fifth day loaded with class 2 handicaps to make the gig interesting at this rate.

Or wait til 2022 for some of these stud champions to actually run against one another.

Since when was winning a Ryanair anywhere near the lure of being a contender in a Gold Cup.

Its obviously not been enough to scare off half of the 90 percent of shite running in it this year.

Honestly, its fitting Al Boum Photo goes for his third gold cup.

Cos Best Mate would have won this renewal on the bridle. :)

Last edited:
QMCC will have five runners.

Ryanair will be a max field.

Chacun Pour Soi
Cilaos Emery
Defi du Seuil
Duc des Genievres
Greaneteen
Le Richebourg
Magic Saint
Notebook
Nube Negra
Politologue
Put The Kettle On
Rouge Vif
Sceau Royal

Chacun Pour Soi - Yes
Cilaos Emery - No
Defi du Seuil - No. Will go Ryanair after disapponting in Clarence House.
Duc des Genievres - Yes
Greaneteen - Yes
Le Richebourg - No. Goner.
Magic Saint - No. Heads GA weights.
Notebook - No. Goes Ryanair after getting humped at DRF behind Chacun.
Nube Negra - Yes
Politologue - Yes
Put The Kettle On - No. Goes Mares Chase after getting humped at DRF behind Chacun (and wins easy).
Rouge Vif - No. Waits for Sandown and proper Spring ground.
Sceau Royal - No. Heads to Crufts instead, and wins Second Best in Show.

Last edited:
Back