Cheltenham 2020 / 2021

Others (e.g. Slim) would know better than me, but my guess is they’ll be settled as losers at final decs - unless there is some sort of concession from your bookmaker(s).

Does anybody know the consequences on ante post bets should the travel ban prevent your horse running?

hard to imagine there's anything in the terms and conditions for it, unless a particular bookie has written it in given the current situation (which they should have done tbf)

suspect it'll be a case of some places voiding it and some, lesser sympathetic bookies, settling it as a loser

Doesn't a new strain make any existing vaccine obsolete!

I would think not necessarily as it is probably effective to X degree so may stop the new strain being as deadly/causing someone to be more sick than they might otherwise be, purely non scientific thought there but have to keep on with giving the current one to as many as possible as quickly as possible.

Doesn't a new strain make any existing vaccine obsolete!

My understanding is that the vaccines currently being produced are 'smart' and engineered to read the dna of the virus and adapt accordingly. I've read they may at some point need some minor 'tweaking' but that it's a very simple process to do so.

The scientists seem very confident indeed that the vaccine will continue to deal with new strains.

All viruses mutate and this would have been factored in to the development. I’d expect that they’ll need to tweak the vaccine from time to time in much the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine gets tweaked every year but that the current vaccine will continue to have very high effectiveness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just FYI it appears that ante post bets on Monalee on the exchange are being settled as void rather than as a loser. Think the logic is that it is like a horse being balloted out of a handicap

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Think the logic is that it is like a horse being balloted out of a handicap

The concession is purely the bookmakers seeing sense and doing what is right!

Ante-post markets are formed well in advance of entries, and in the bookmaker's rules, the only line you could associate with this situation is line 1 underlined;

Ante-Post bets are accepted all in, run or not, entered or not. stakes are lost on an Ante Post bet if a selection does not take part.
No Tattersalls' Rule 4 deductions are made from winning bets
If a race is postponed to another day:
Ante-Post bets placed before the entries have closed will stand and will only be made void if:-
The race is abandoned or made void.
A horse is balloted out under Jockey Club Rules of Racing.
The venue is altered.
Ante-Post bets placed after the entries have closed will be void, except when:-
The race is run at a later date at the same venue.
The entries are not re-opened.
The running surface is not altered (e.g. Turf to Dirt/ All Weather or vice versa.

Last edited:
Given that if some well backed favourites are likely to be non runners then should we complain if an exceptional all industry action was to apply Rule 4.

Cheltenham behind close doors on NYD

That rumour i heard about the festival being moved to April might not be bullshine, if the racecourse is used as a vaccination centre i can see it being moved

6th-9th of April would be my guess

For sure there won't be crowds but a couple of thousand members and owners is still possible. As for Irish horses if they are forbidden to travel then surely all lorry drivers and livestock would also have to be stopped from travelling back and forward. Hopefully there will be around 10 million people vaccinated by mid March and that will drastically reduce the number of deaths and hospitalisations. Lets be positive and look forward instead of back.

There is absolutely no chance they would run Cheltenham without Irish horses.

I don't see why not.

If travel restrictions look like going on indefinitely there's no point in delaying.

It would be tough luck on the Irish but the chances are no UK horses would be allowed over for Punchestown or Fairyhouse or even Galway further down the line.

The racing wouldn't be as competitive and the prize money will probably be lower but there's no reason to scrap the meeting. It's just unfortunate circumstances all round.

As someone said elsewhere it would be like the 100m won by Allan Wells but they didn't scrap the Olympics and they wouldn't scrap a World Cup if Brazil couldn't make it.

I don't see why not.

If travel restrictions look like going on indefinitely there's no point in delaying.

It would be tough luck on the Irish but the chances are no UK horses would be allowed over for Punchestown or Fairyhouse or even Galway further down the line.

The racing wouldn't be as competitive and the prize money will probably be lower but there's no reason to scrap the meeting. It's just unfortunate circumstances all round.

As someone said elsewhere it would be like the 100m won by Allan Wells but they didn't scrap the Olympics and they wouldn't scrap a World Cup if Brazil couldn't make it.

You have to think bigger picture here. No sponsor will want a festival without Irish horses. They will push the meeting back or not hold it at all.

Pushing it back would surely impact Aintree or Punchestown though, so not convinced that option would necessarily be supported.

If Irish horses aren’t allowed to travel, I reckon they’d look to go ahead. The meeting would still be on the bowl, which is what matters to most of the sponsors, and the betting industry (who provide much of the sponsorship), would likely support it going ahead - voiding ante-post bets on Irish horses, probably being preferable to handing all of it back in the event of a cancellation..

Back