Cheltenham Ante Post Portfolio

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
Added:-

National Hunt Chase: Back In Focus 14/1 - A thorough stayer so I would have thought this and something like a Scottish National would be suitable targets leaving Boston Bob for the RSA - I would guess he would be 3/1 or shorter if taking his chance.

Probably went overboard and added another three:-

RSA: Rocky Creek 14/1 - for me probably the worst of the three; leaving aside Dynaste who might be more suited to a Jewson this looks a relatively poor division with Boston Bob having something to prove and Harry Topper being ruled out - Rocky Creek progressive but concern that he was a relative disappointment at last year's Festival - if only Brindisi Breeze was still around things may have been so much simpler.

Triumph: Diakali 14/1 - another very difficult division; small field win couldn't be more different to a Triumph but couldn't have been more impressive and gave the impression of plenty more to come (personally think Far West is one of worst ante-post favourites)

Albert Bartlett: Cloudy Copper 25/1 - like him best of the three; jumps and travels and has probably slipped under the radar

RSA: Rocky Creek 14/1 - for me probably the worst of the three; leaving aside Dynaste who might be more suited to a Jewson this looks a relatively poor division with Boston Bob having something to prove and Harry Topper being ruled out - Rocky Creek progressive but concern that he was a relative disappointment at last year's Festival - if only Brindisi Breeze was still around things may have been so much simpler.

There were excuses for Rocky Creek's run at Cheltenham last year, he was found not right afterwards. That said, even as a fellow backer I still think it would have to be a very poor RSA for him to win it.

I tend to dip my toes in early:

Supreme Novices
Jezki @ 13.5
Waaheb @ 14 topped up a bit more @ 25

Arkle
Overturn @ 14
Cash and Go @ 55 and 70 :(
Oscar Whiskey backed at 14-17 laid @ 20 :(

Champion Hurdle
Grandouet @ 12-14
Zarkandar @ 14.5-15
Pearl Swan @ 80 (anyone heard anything?)

Neptune
Champagne Fever @ 10.5-11

RSA
Boston Bob @ 10
Rocky Creek @ 34 (will lay before next run)

Bumper
City Slicker @ 16.5:(

Ryanair
Cue Card @ 14-14.5
Sizing Europe @ 14.5

World Hurdle
Peddlers Cross @ 16

Gold Cup
Long Run @ 10-11
Flemnstar @ 13 (I will probably lay this prior to his next run)
Silviniaco Conti @ 60
Finians Rainbow @ 46 :(

I also have 4 doubles placed on Long run / Flemenstar and Zarkandar / Grandouet all at odds of between 10/1 and 14/1.

I've since added:

Bumper- Empiracle @ 16/1
World hurdle- Celestial Halo @ 110
Neptune- The New One @ 15.5 (not for much unforunately)

Plus had a bit of a top up on Grandouet, Zarkandar and Boston Bob.

Triumph: Diakali 14/1 - another very difficult division; small field win couldn't be more different to a Triumph but couldn't have been more impressive and gave the impression of plenty more to come (personally think Far West is one of worst ante-post favourites)

Albert Bartlett: Cloudy Copper 25/1 - like him best of the three; jumps and travels and has probably slipped under the radar

Has Harry Topper picked up an injury or is Bailey just not committing him?

Has Harry Topper picked up an injury or is Bailey just not committing him?

I certainly hope he hasn't got an injury. Just going on Bailey's comments which seemed to completely rule out running at the Festival. Strange if he suddenly changed his mind. Would be around 8-10/1 if expected to run. Not sure Aintree would be his track so interesting to see where he goes.

Arkle:
Trifolium £10w @ 27/1
Arvika Ligeonniere £15w @ 10/1

Champion Hurdle:
Grandouet £25w @10/1

Neptune:
Clondaw Kaempfer £25w @ 13/1

RSA:
Our Father £10w @ 14/1
Boston Bob £25w @ 10/1

Jewson:
Oscars Well £20w @ 16/1

Ryanair:
Finian's Rainbow £15w @ 10/1

Albert Bartlett:
Coneygree £15w @ 12/1

Gold Cup:
Flemenstar £50w @ 13/1
Sir Des Champs £15w @ 8/1

Non Runners (Spirit Son and Fingal Bay)- Total of £110 lost

Doubles:

Grandouet (Champion Hurdle) and Sir Des Champs (Gold Cup) £10 @ 12/1 and 6/1

Boston Bob (RSA) and Flemenstar (Gold Cup) £10 @ 8/1 and 7/1

Boston Bob (RSA) and What a Name (1000 Gns) £10 @ 10/1 and 14/1

Captain Conan (Jewson) and Silviniaco Conti (Gold Cup) £10 @ 6/1 and 9/1

Coneygree (AB) and What a Name (1000 Gns) £10 @ 12/1 and 14/1

Grandouet now £30w @ 95/10

Coneygree now £35w @ 10/1

Added:
Pure Science (Bumper) £15w @ 16/1

Clondaw Kaempfer £25w @ 20/1 NRFB

10 weeks to go to the festival. This was a useful thread last year for bouncing actual bets of people which get lost in the various race discussion threads.

Current Bets
€200 @ 100+ Staying Article (Champion Hurdle)
€200 @ 40+ Cue Card (Gold Cup)
€250 @ 7/1 Grandouet (Champion Hurdle)
€1000 @ 9/4 Simonsig (Arkle Chase)

I've added two bets this week, the first one hangs on the weather.

€136 e/w @ 16/1 Rolling Star (Triumph Hurdle)
€60 e/w @ 25/1 Binocular (Champion Hurdle)

I've added two bets this week, the first one hangs on the weather.

€136 e/w @ 16/1 Rolling Star (Triumph Hurdle)
€60 e/w @ 25/1 Binocular (Champion Hurdle)

What's the reasoning behind the first one and why does it hang on the weather? All I know is he is a French import who has won over hurdles having previously been beaten plenty of times on the Flat.

Have had another £50 on Cue Card in the Ryanair.

I watched last year's race again last night, and I've satisfied myself that it was a pretty shabby renewal. Riverside Theatre never went a yard (has always looked better on flat tracks), and I don't think the form is worth a carrot, realtively speaking.

Whilst no-one really wants to take on the aeroplane, I still expect to see Flemenstar run over 2m if the owner doesn't insist on a Gold Cup run, and I also expect Sizing Europe to run in the Champion Chase too.

The trip will suit Champion Court, but he was a touch flattered by his proximity to Sir Des Champs in the Jewson last season, and hasn't really landed a blow since. And Menorah is one I'd always want to be taking-on over fences.

That leaves Finian's Rainbow to beat, and whilst I think he will run in the Ryanair rather than the Champion Chase, I don't think he is all that far clear of Cue Card on form, and I'm of the opinion that the latter is more likely to show top-class form at the trip.

Solwhit Champion Hurdle bets have tanked already (didn't get the entry), but he could shorten-up a bit for the Stayers if he wins the Limestone Lad at Naas today.

What's the reasoning behind the first one and why does it hang on the weather? All I know is he is a French import who has won over hurdles having previously been beaten plenty of times on the Flat.

It's been bought by Michael Buckley and its rumoured he's quite useful.

Have had another £50 on Cue Card in the Ryanair.

I watched last year's race again last night, and I've satisfied myself that it was a pretty shabby renewal. Riverside Theatre never went a yard (has always looked better on flat tracks), and I don't think the form is worth a carrot, realtively speaking.

Whilst no-one really wants to take on the aeroplane, I still expect to see Flemenstar run over 2m if the owner doesn't insist on a Gold Cup run, and I also expect Sizing Europe to run in the Champion Chase too.

The trip will suit Champion Court, but he was a touch flattered by his proximity to Sir Des Champs in the Jewson last season, and hasn't really landed a blow since. And Menorah is one I'd always want to be taking-on over fences.

That leaves Finian's Rainbow to beat, and whilst I think he will run in the Ryanair rather than the Champion Chase, I don't think he is all that far clear of Cue Card on form, and I'm of the opinion that the latter is more likely to show top-class form at the trip.

Solwhit Champion Hurdle bets have tanked already (didn't get the entry), but he could shorten-up a bit for the Stayers if he wins the Limestone Lad at Naas today.

Good post. Solwhit was 25/1 before today's right after race but id now 16/1 best.

I've upped my Binocular bet to €160 e/w @ 25/1.

racebet.com are 10/1 Un Atout for the Supreme Novice Hurdle. I've helped myself to €100.

racebet.com are 10/1 Un Atout for the Supreme Novice Hurdle. I've helped myself to €100.

I thought Champion Court shaped much better than Cue Card for a long way in the King George, looking second best for a lot of the straight. Think he could easily be a big player if the classy sorts like Finian's and Flemenstar go elsewhere.

I thought Champion Court shaped much better than Cue Card for a long way in the King George, looking second best for a lot of the straight.

This is true, but it was down to Cue Card not settling that well. You'd have to think there would be a chance of the same thing happening in the Ryanair at a similar trip and I am firmly in the Finian's Rainbow camp although his lack of form/outings this season is a worry. I think For Non Stop is backable at a big price as well.

I thought Champion Court shaped much better than Cue Card for a long way in the King George, looking second best for a lot of the straight. Think he could easily be a big player if the classy sorts like Finian's and Flemenstar go elsewhere.

I'm prepared to write Kempton off as an abberation, DJ.

Have backed Sir Des Champs NRNB AT 17/4 for the Gold Cup and am away in the next half hour to back Piques Sous at 18's NRNB for the Supeme..More to folllow after the weekends fare I expect:whistle:. Got "chatty" with a local bookie on Twitter and he's happy enough to offer NRNB at this early stage.

Oscar Whisky vulnerable today, and given I have him covered in the Stayers, I've taken another bite out of him at 38 for the Champion Hurdle as a Back to Lay option.

Personally, I'm not convinced he'd be re-routed there if he loses today - he's more likely to be kept back for Aintree, imo - but he's still likely to shorten-up a touch in the Champion market if he gets turned over.

Backed Imperial Commander at 50/1 this morning for the Gold Cup. If he wins today he'll be under 10/1 and if shows his old form he'll be 4/1.

I had £100 on Balthazar King a few days at 8/1. This despite the fact that I have no clue what is happening when I watch from the stands until they come out onto the course. BK is another one of my "stable" horses and the more I looked at the race the more I became convinced that he represents one of the bets of the meeting.

Back