Cheltenham Ante Post Portfolio

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
Backed Imperial Commander at 50/1 this morning for the Gold Cup. If he wins today he'll be under 10/1 and if shows his old form he'll be 4/1.

He was 25/1 straight after the race but that was subsequently taken. Do they really ever come back?

There was one Slim

What A Myth was my favourite horse as a kid and between 1965 and 1966 he won almost every time he ran

Winning the Cheltenham Chase Stakes, The Cottage Rake H'Cap Chase, The Rhymney Brewerys H'Cap Chase, the Mildmay Memorial Chase 1966 , The Gainsborough Chase and then fell in Foinaven's Grand National Paul Kellaway was adamanat he was just starting to warm up and would have won.

He wasn't finished though he bounced back and won the Whitbread Gold Cup
He then ran in that famous Hennessy when Stalbridge Colonist beat Arkle with What a Myth right behind in 3rd, another 100 yds he would most likely have won that too. He made it 8 from 10 winning the Ermine Street Chase. . He went on to win the Mandarin Chase then ran Mill House to a neck off level weights at Sandown in the Gainsborough Chase.

In his prime his form figures looked like this 11111F1131 and he would have been top class in most eras but Arkle dominated the scene at that time.

The next 2 years saw his form deteriorate He finished 3rd in the Hennessy again to Rondetto 3rd in the Gold Cup and won only two races including the Ermine Street Chase again. Then it was all downhill

At the ripe old age of 12 years of age Ryan Price had all but given up when he failed to finish in a race being pulled up.

He decided to send him hunting in an effort to rekindle his interest.

He loved every but of it, came back in and won 2 Hunter Chases in a hack canter

He seemed so well in himself they decided to run him in the Gold Cup.

Against the odds he won the race in a real slog

Some say it was a poor Gold Cup but they always are when there's an upset. It was anything but a poor race but with The laird Dicky May and The Laird all coming down at the 8th fence his task was made easier. The 2nd Domacorn had been in great form and went off joint fav with the Laird.

So they can come back just not very often...............Maybe it's time for another one

Last edited:
Added Goulanes (National Hunt Chase) - £35 at average 26/1

Good shout Grassy. Liked this horses attitude today and his stamina got him there. Jumped well, without being spectacular and looks like you've got a nice bet there assuming he turns up.

Thanks Tanlic; a lovely bit of racing history.
Noel Chance always regrets not going directly for the GC in 2002 with Looks Like Trouble after his lay off:
remember he broke the track record on his comeback race and later broke down in GC.

Thanks Tanlic; a lovely bit of racing history.
Noel Chance always regrets not going directly for the GC in 2002 with Looks Like Trouble after his lay off:
remember he broke the track record on his comeback race and later broke down in GC.

Good shout Grassy. Liked this horses attitude today and his stamina got him there. Jumped well, without being spectacular and looks like you've got a nice bet there assuming he turns up.

Yes, who knows with Pipe but the National Hunt Chase must be a possibility. Very difficult to know what a decent price is with so many question marks about who is going to run. I thought given a bit of cut Back In Focus was the one to beat but I now have a feeling that Mullins might be more inclined to run him in the RSA and Boston Bob in the Jewson.

Just a couple of thoughts on today's win. For the most part Goulanes shaped like a thorough stayer but it appeared the runner up was cutting him back on the line. Does he want another mile? Although he didn't make mistakes I thought the jumping looked quite hard work and I wonder if it will hold up should we ever get quicker ground.

I thought given a bit of cut Back In Focus was the one to beat but I now have a feeling that Mullins might be more inclined to run him in the RSA and Boston Bob in the Jewson.

The Jewson looks there for the taking with Captain Conan looking a bit average earlier on but I think he might divert Arvika there instead.

More than somewhat of a haymaker - especially given the ammo already available to the yard - but I've had £15 at average 66/1 about Mozoltov in the Supreme.

He's the stable entry in a smart-looking 2m novice tomorrow, and should move in the right direction if he goes close tomorrow.

Had a decent bet on Somersby without Sprinter Sacre. I can't see Mick Channon running him in the Ryanair.

Bit more than I should have on Far West for the Triumph Hurdle but will break even if he's placed

Had a bet on Nicky Henderson's Utopie Des Bordes who was the champion 4 year old chaser in France for both the Neptune and the AB.

The top 4yo chasers in France tended to beat each other in turn, Tanlic, and whilst UDB won the Gillois, it's stretching it a wee bit to call him the "champion 4yo". There's no doubt he's useful though, and Fago's win on his UK debut for the Wylies suggests the Auteuil from is smart enough.

Worth noting though that he has left his hurdles form a good way behind him since going chasing, and it has to be questionable as to whether he could run up to his chase-mark if he reverts to the smaller obstacles.

Last edited:
More than somewhat of a haymaker - especially given the ammo already available to the yard - but I've had £15 at average 66/1 about Mozoltov in the Supreme.

He's the stable entry in a smart-looking 2m novice tomorrow, and should move in the right direction if he goes close tomorrow.
Sweet !
Well done. Great race it was, too.

Not sure what you are basing that judgement on as you haven't 'shown your working' but if it's a quote from Mullins I wouldn't be so confident. We'll see but highly unlikely both Boston Bob and Back In Focus will run in the RSA and he would have a much better chance of winning the National Hunt Chase with Back In Focus than Vesper Bell.

Ridden like a non-stayer and shaped like a non-stayer. Hopefully, Mullins will now embrace the obvious but don't bank on him telling anyone.

Did anyone get buried on Darlan? He'd have been close to favourite but for the unfortunate circumstances today. By default my Binocular bet looks plausible but the race will be lesser for it, its not looking such a hot renewal now.

Last edited:
I laid Darlan after the Irish Champion. I managed to offload £120 at average 5.8, so recovered my original stake before today's race.

Correction: it was a cenny at 6.0 and a score at 5.8

Last edited:
I imagine a few were on at double figures before the Xmas Hurdle. This means one of My Tent or Yours, Grandouet or Binocular wins in five weeks. It giveth and taketh away in equal measures.

I had backed it from 14's downwards to 11/2 and also in l15s and patents.tragic in all ways today.on the plus side I have the fly as a winner for me also.He looks to have very strong claims now.I think 15/8 is a play.Anyone with tidy price ante post vouchers on Binocular is in a strong position too I reckon.Thats my 1-2.

I have never witnessed such smugness amoungst a group of forumites - flouncing around with your ante-post dockets on yokes that have quartered in price....have you ever heard of humility......

Here's mine and there’s not much to get excited about this year:

Supreme
Jezki 1pt 8/1
My Tent Or Yours 1pt 20/1
Sizing Rio 1.6pts ew 25-33/1
Snake Eyes 0.4pts ew 33/1

Champion Hurdle
Rock on Ruby 2.5pts 9/1
Zarkander 1.5pts 12/1

RSA
Sire De Collenges 1.5pts 16/1
Ambion Wood 0.5pt 20/1

World Hurdle
Big Bucks 9.4pts 7/4 :(

Albert Bartlett
Coneygree 2pts 12/1

Gold Cup
Flemenstar 2.5pts 10/1
Last Instalment 0.5pt 75/1

To win any race
Dynaste 2.5pts 6/1
Overturn 2pts 7/1
Clandaw Kaempfer 2.5pts 10/1
Don Cossack 2.5pts 7/1
Fingal Bay 3.5pts 7/1
Added:
Supreme
My Tent Or Yours 1pt ew 10/1

Gold Cup
Grand Crus 0.6pt ew 25/1 NRNB
Cape Tribulation 0.5pt ew 33/1

NH Chase
Keppols Hill 1pt win 14/1

Grand Annual
Kid Cassidy 1pt win 14/1

Any Race
Unioniste 2pt win 10/1

I have never witnessed such smugness amoungst a group of forumites - flouncing around with your ante-post dockets on yokes that have quartered in price....have you ever heard of humility......

Just because you done your bollocks on Peddlers Cross again don't take it out on the shrewd lads.

Probably went overboard and added another three:-

RSA: Rocky Creek 14/1 - for me probably the worst of the three; leaving aside Dynaste who might be more suited to a Jewson this looks a relatively poor division with Boston Bob having something to prove and Harry Topper being ruled out - Rocky Creek progressive but concern that he was a relative disappointment at last year's Festival - if only Brindisi Breeze was still around things may have been so much simpler.

Triumph: Diakali 14/1 - another very difficult division; small field win couldn't be more different to a Triumph but couldn't have been more impressive and gave the impression of plenty more to come (personally think Far West is one of worst ante-post favourites)

Albert Bartlett: Cloudy Copper 25/1 - like him best of the three; jumps and travels and has probably slipped under the radar

Have since added:-

Supreme: Un Atout 12/1 - originally thought he would want further but more impressed with him last time.

Champion Hurdle: Cotton Mill 25/1 - definitely the unknown quantity but needs the ground to dry out (would be interesting to know O'Regan's thoughts relative to Countrywide Flame).

Jewson: Argocat 33/1 & 20/1 - solid form and this race looks the ideal target unlike so many others in the market - some concern this race might get tougher with horses running scared of Simonsig and Dynaste.

Albert Bartlett: At Fishers Cross 7/1 - run against The New One probably the best novice form of the season.

Champion Bumper: Le Vent D'Antan 14/1 - travelled like a dream on debut and like so many just a question of what he beat.

RSA: Unioniste 12/1 - already backed to win any race and this now looks the likely target.

Three down already with Pendra surprisingly not even getting a Neptune entry, Buckers Bridge only getting a Jewson entry and Oscars Well having zero chance even if he were to turn up for the Arkle. Expecting bad news about Champagne Fever pretty shortly.

Jewson: Argocat 33/1 & 20/1 - solid form and this race looks the ideal target unlike so many others in the market - some concern this race might get tougher with horses running scared of Simonsig and Dynaste.

Albert Bartlett: At Fishers Cross 7/1 - run against The New One probably the best novice form of the season.

I have Oscar's Well for the Jewson but am pretty much resigned to his trainer continuing to make him the worst campaigned horse in history and skip Cheltenham. It's a wide open race with a poor favourite.

Coneygree set way too slow a pace in the race you mentioned and the AB will be a totally different contest. Coneygree is a fantastic back to lay proposition.

Back