Cheltenham Ante Post Portfolio

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
Positive noises coming out of the Pipe yard re Goulanes and the 4-miler. Have hoovered up the £56 there was at 13.5.

I think I might end up having a right lunge at this one, actually.

Last edited:
Haven't had an ante-post punt for Cheltenham all winter but I'm tempted by Boston Bob at 7's for the Sun Alliance in anticipation of a good run in the Moriarty.

Can't have Dynaste at all (don't think he's the type for this race and I'm still not entirely convinced he wants three miles) and Back In Focus would only be of interest if the ground came up soft. Rocky Creek interests me, but Nicholls' comments that he's a horse for next year are off-putting.

Jockey bookings will be interesting; I would nearly be hoping to see Townend on BIF in anticipation of him riding him in the Sun Alliance.

Whilst nothing Mullins could do would surprise me I wouldn't expect him to run BIF and Boston Bob in the same race, that simply wouldn't in the owners best interest who could have a very good chance in two races.
I'm not convinced BIF should run at the festival at all if the going is as it has been in recent years however to me BB in the RSA and BIF in the NH chase makes most sense. Reading between the lines Mullins recent actions and comments hint towards BB in the Jewson and BIF in the RSA, which means there absolutely zero chance of that happening:lol:

Last edited:
I thought I read recently that all plans for BIF will be ground dependent. Meaning it's probably unlikely BIF will go to Chelt, as u mention DOM.

Running BB in the Jewson would be a waste of time if you ask me. RSA is race for him, IF he can show something A LOT better than his 1st run of the season this Saturday.

However if it did come up soft at chelt then BIF would be the one (at the moment) for the RSA, with BB going for the Jewson. Suppose the owner, and trainer are in a lucky position to have 2 horses like these. I've backed BB for the RSA, but while I'm hoping he sparkles on Saturday, I'm equally hoping it's decent ground come chelt time, or he very well could be re-routed to the Jewson.

Back In Focus wouldn't be quick enough to win an RSA whatever the ground but I am struggling to see why he wouldn't be risked in a National Hunt Chase on good to soft ground. Should he run he would almost certainly be sent off favourite.

Last edited:
£5 Each-Way Yankee

Goulanes (12/1 - NH Chase)
Bostons Angel (10/1 - X-Country)
Taquin Du Seuil (10/1 - Neptune)
Cue Card (11/2 - Ryanair)

I've taken the avaialble pony at 12 about Mail De Brieve for the Champion Chase, in the Without Sacre market.

Tom George seems quite keen to supplement him for the race, and he was a better-than-useful, progressive young chaser in France before injury intervened.

His bold-jumping, catch-me-if you-can style (same traits in France), could get some of the opposition in a spot of bother. Given the uncertainty around who that opposition might be, Mail De Brieve might end-up joining the likes of Somersby and Kumbeshwar in opposition to Sprinter Sacre, rather than the Sizing Europe's and Finian's Rainbow's of this world, and based on his comeback run at the weekend, I don't think he'd have particularly much to fear from the former-pair.

Last edited:
I was taken with him but thought the Ryanair would be where they'd head given his back form. Where did George say that Grassy?

Boring I know and not original - Pont Alexander I have added him singly and will base a few tasty doubles around him.

Oscar Whisky is about right at 5/1 - he's last run was too bad to be true. I respect the Williams horse but have had to have a tickle at 5/1. Great race for favs recently ;)

I've taken the avaialble pony at 12 about Mail De Brieve for the Champion Chase, in the Without Sacre market.

Tom George seems quite keen to supplement him for the race, and he was a better-than-useful, progressive young chaser in France before injury intervened.

His bold-jumping, catch-me-if you-can style (same traits in France), could get some of the opposition in a spot of bother. Given the uncertainty around who that opposition might be, Mail De Brieve might end-up joining the likes of Somersby and Kumbeshwar in opposition to Sprinter Sacre, rather than the Sizing Europe's and Finian's Rainbow's of this world, and based on his comeback run at the weekend, I don't think he'd have particularly much to fear from the former-pair.

I've topped this up at average 14.5 this morning. Bet now stands at a shade over £75 to take out a shade less than a bag.

As long as Flemenstar, Sizing Europe, Finian's Rainbow and Cue Card all run elsewhere, I'll fancy my chances. :whistle:

well they were both given a too aggressive ride by their jockeys giving them no chance of lasting out the trip.
after a 6 minute trot round newbury the trainer has gone from proclaining MDB a gold cup horse to a champion chase horse.

he has obviously had problems so it must be a little dubious he can replicate saturdays round of jumping. He isnt neccarsarily going to appreciate the undulations of cheltenham and if the ground dries out (it was very soft on saturday) i doubt his legs will appreciate the drying ground

he will fight it out with somersby for last place

well they were both given a too aggressive ride by their jockeys giving them no chance of lasting out the trip.
after a 6 minute trot round newbury the trainer has gone from proclaining MDB a gold cup horse to a champion chase horse.

he has obviously had problems so it must be a little dubious he can replicate saturdays round of jumping. He isnt neccarsarily going to appreciate the undulations of cheltenham and if the ground dries out (it was very soft on saturday) i doubt his legs will appreciate the drying ground

he will fight it out with somersby for last place

Strongly agree.

Can't quite bring myself to back either of the front two in the Arkle, and have instead settled for a couple of haymakers:

£10 avg 109 - Twinlight
£06 avg 106 - Module

Can't quite bring myself to back either of the front two in the Arkle, and have instead settled for a couple of haymakers:

£10 avg 109 - Twinlight
£06 avg 106 - Module

I would have given Twinlight an each-way shot but strong suspicion he wants a right-handed track although having said that it didn't stop Captain Chris.

Have backed China Rock at 25/1 for the Ryanair, as well as Binocular at 20/1 for the Champion

If I knew China Rock was going for the Ryanair I'd definitely be following you in e/w, however the owner seems intent on running him over 3m+ all the time. It seems they are happy to watch him travel like a dream in the Gold Cup each year until the petrol runs out at the bottom of the hill, despite it being obvious he doesn't get the trip. He won a grade 1 over 3m in heavy ground but it was a crap race.

He might be a bit old now but has the talent to win another big race, just not the Gold Cup.

*ahem*

My Tent Or Yours @ 2/1
Simonsig @ 4/5
Hurricane Fly @ 6/4
Quevega @ 8/13
Pont Alexandre @ 11/4
Dynaste @ 2/1
Sprinter Sacre @ 2/9
Rolling Star @ 5/1
Bobs Worth @ 3/1
9 Folds, 1 bet * £10.00

:D

Glam Gerry 20 at 20s for the Byrne
Rolling Star 200 at average of 7s
Cottage Oak 14s for 30
Tap Knight 16s for the Pulteny for 20
Last Showdow at 25s for Fred - but he may just be shite rather than just stopped!

Back