Cheltenham Bumper

Guest_

At the Start
Betsmates favourite race of the festival....Irish bumpers seem pretty muted so far in relation to this race? Mullins and Meade seem to be pretty slow in bringing out their best yet. I liked the bumper horse of Dermot Welds that won earlier in the week (Elegant Concorde) and they have the well touted Daffern Seal to come out yet. Tavern Times has probably been the most impressive to they eye and I remember a smart one of Tom Mullins winning at Naas as well?

Anyone see something I have missed?

Most of them have gone hurdling (Dr Whizz) or had their bubble burst (Some Slam) so far Gal. Plenty of time yet - think the only one of Mullins mob to have debuted this time last year was Morning Supreme who romped in at Downpatrick having been heavily backed all day.

Your probably right, I think the maiden hurdles and bumpers at Leopardstown were (relatively speaking) weak enough compared to previous years so maybe they are influencing my opinion on the standard so far.

Sizing Mexico was talked about by the point to point lads but Id imagine he will go hurdling.

I liked the bumper horse of Dermot Welds that won earlier in the week (Elegant Concorde) and they have the well touted Daffern Seal to come out yet.

Davern Seal well beaten by 11L into 4th at Cork today. Maybe he didn't appreciate the heavy going or a partly frozen track but Fenton's horse did it nicely.

Speaking of a partly frozen track, Kauto Star's half broher Kauto Relko came down at the second last hurdle in the feature race at Cork today. He seemed to jump the hurdle fine but appeared to slip or loose his footing on the icy conditions after the hurdle. He was well beaten at the time but with only 3 horses running he was ensured 3rd place prize money! Thankfully he was ok after!

Racing was delayed by 20 mins due to course realligment, but there seemed to be much concern about the final 2 flights in the home straight with ground staff out stamping and pitching the landing area after both hurdles!! The amount of withdrawls in each race was high enough also which would make one ask if racing should have been given the go ahead at all?!

He looked a real light flat type so perhaps the ground did not suit - Daffern Seal that is - but probably just not good enough coming from a yard who would have had him pretty straight for this.

As for the ground I would think there have been a few meetings in recent days that have been very much touch and go. Hard to see any Irish racing this week going ahead - weekend at the earliest as Thurles is currently unraceable and the forecast is for snow country wide during the week.

Plenty of time yet - think the only one of Mullins mob to have debuted this time last year was Morning Supreme who romped in at Downpatrick having been heavily backed all day.

Just reading an interview with Mullins the other day in which he says he hasn't been buying at all for most of the last two years (though I remember reading somewhere that he purchased a few at a sale in France relatively recently) which I would imagine must have a pretty significant impact on through this season, particularly in bumpers.

Thought Paddy Mullins gave Kerb Appeal a pretty poor ride today at Cork. In fairness to him, his saddle looked to slip a shade down the back which can't have helped, but he seems to ride every horse as if it's a flying machine - luckily for him, most of them are!

Despite the spectre of Ballytrim looming ominously, I've had a small-stakes bet on Regal Athlete following the usual noises from the usual suspects...

Will be interesting to see what emerges between now and the end of February; as things stand we are looking at a seriously weak renewal.

Just reading an interview with Mullins the other day in which he says he hasn't been buying at all for most of the last two years (though I remember reading somewhere that he purchased a few at a sale in France relatively recently) which I would imagine must have a pretty significant impact on through this season, particularly in bumpers.

He spent most of last season trying to offload the horses he bought the year before. Still remember that Nov meet in Navan where he was parading horses after the last, in the dark. I think he sold three or four that day. He won't make the same mistake again so his numbers could be down, but then again plenty of lads out there with horses that they didn't sell and need to win bumpers and shift them on.

Have a look at Forty Foot Tom's bumper win on ATR. Really taking performance. Unfashionable stable is keeping the price attractive. If this had been from Mullins stable I would think it would be favourite right now.

He spent most of last season trying to offload the horses he bought the year before. Still remember that Nov meet in Navan where he was parading horses after the last, in the dark. I think he sold three or four that day. He won't make the same mistake again so his numbers could be down, but then again plenty of lads out there with horses that they didn't sell and need to win bumpers and shift them on.

Yes I think the no. of winners he had early on last season was untypical. He had them ready early as he needed to sell them.

Have a look at Forty Foot Tom's bumper win on ATR. Really taking performance. Unfashionable stable is keeping the price attractive. If this had been from Mullins stable I would think it would be favourite right now.
Just watched it now Aragorn - very impressive though hard to tell what he beat.

What about Araucaria guys ? Seemed to run pretty well to me at Punchestown. Good price at 33/1?

Saw this mare's debut as well and I agree Roddy, she was impressive. I'm just not sure Mare's win the Bumper very often and they might look for an easier option? Could be wrong.

Irish, not sure what he beat, probably not a lot like you say but he couldn't have been more impressive considering he was barely asked a question. He had plenty left and he was 38's on the machine last night which is a fair price if you ask me. Whether his trainer will bring him over I don't know but I thought it was a taking performance.

shannon spirit, trained by tom hogan, was a very impressive winner in thurles on sunday, and has been confirmed as being on target for cheltenham

Last edited:
Up Ou That the new ante-post favourite after his victory on Sunday - plenty of money behind Romanesco for De Bromhead but he was brushed aside easily (presumably the latter compares favourably to their other potential top notch bumper horse Sizing Mexico).

Back